Best Buy

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Merchandising Specialist

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in July 2014.

Interview Details – My first interview was over the phone. During the phone interview the interviewer was checking to see if I was qualified for the job. My next two interview was at the store. The second interview was with a different interview. The last interview was with the General Manager.

Interview Question – The most unexpected thing that I experienced was me getting interviewed by the General Manger the same day as the second interviewer. I was expecting them to call me back for a third interview so that I can prepare. But, instead of them calling me back they brought him right after the second interview. The good part about it was that the question he asked were similar to that of the second interviewer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The General Manager asked me, "How much do you want to get paid?" I told him on my application I put down $9.37. He told me Okay, I will offer you $10.00/Hr

Wentzville, MO

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Best Buy in August 2010.

Interview Details – It was a group interview with about 10-15 other candidates who applied for various positions. Two employees conducted the interview and asked situational questions (e.g. what would you do if…?). There were also various exercises that involved choosing merchandise from the store, bringing it back to the interview room, and describing what it does or how to use it. Overall, I can see the reasoning behind this interview technique, but in my personal experience I felt it was poorly implemented.

Interview Question – No questions were truly difficult, but I will say in my case it was extremely frustrating when 'hot girl' or 'guy who seems fun to party with' gets all the attention from the less-than-professional interviewers.   Answer Question

New York, NY

Interview Details – 3 interview process

Interview Question – Why are the places you worked so close in date? and you didn't stay long?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation. Hourly rate is what it is.

Wilmington, NC

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Best Buy in May 2009.

Interview Details – He asked questions about my work background as well as personal questions such as "what is your dream job?" Overall, it wasn't too stressful of an interview. There were several questions on theft and reporting in store theft.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Rockville, MD

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Best Buy in November 2009.

Interview Details – Got a call on a Friday about my application but was unable to pick up the phone since I was in class. They told me to call them back, I did twice that same day, they finally call me the day after, Saturday and ask me a couple questions like, why bestbuy, describe yourself and such generic questions. Tell me to come in for an interview on Tuesday. Went in 5 minutes early, had to wait 15 minutes as the interviewer was in a meeting. Was a 1:1 interview which has its positives and negatives since you can be original but nobody to copy off of in case you are stuck with a hard question. Passed the interview then told to come in on a Thursday. Went in for the 2nd interview waited like 1/2 an hour got real bored since they were supposedly in meetings again, this time it was the GM of the store, asked me a couple questions on why work at bestbuy, what would you do if someone stole, your hero, a coach or teacher that really helped you. Passed that and offered me the job for $8.50 an hour now I just have to pass my drug test and I am a Best Buy employee.

Interview Question – what would you do if someone stole from the job?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no

Danbury, CT

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Best Buy in April 2007.

Interview Details – not too bad, asked alot of pointless questions that seemed to be all the same but eventually they offered me the job. Sat in a room with one of the managers and they seemed to not really be interested in what was going on and was almost annoyed that they had to be there

Interview Questions

Interviewed at Best Buy

Interview Details – I was interviewing for a position in a new store so there were different positions available. I initially was interviewing for a computer sales position, but the hiring manager suggested I work in the merchandising specialist role to gain some experience and then maybe move on to the computer sales role. I was told what to expect, asked basic questions and was accepted on the spot.

Interview Question – Basic questions.   Answer Question

Merchandising Specialist

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Best Buy in October 2009.

Interview Details – Applied online through bby career site. Received call from department supervisor about 2 weeks later around october, in time for the holiday rush. Had an inital in person interview with same supervisor, took drug test, came back in a week later and got the job.

Merchandising Specialist

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Best Buy in February 2008.

Interview Details – The first part of the "interview" was filling out the online questionaire and application. You get ranked based on how you answer those questions, (ex. "do you strongly agree, agree, disagree, or strongly disagree"). In my case, a few days later I received a call to do an interview. This interview was with the department Supervisor. He asked me about my experience, and my willingness to do certain things (like heavy lifting), and also my availability. After that they said they'd call back to set up a 3rd interview, which would be with the General Manager of the store. That interview stressed more on theft, and what I would do if I saw one of my friends stealing. I was also asked how I deal with similar situations like that. (I personally said I would find a way to anonymously tell what I saw). I was also asked about my previous interactions with customers and what I did to make them happy. The interview's weren't long (maybe 20 minutes).

Interview Question – What would you do if you noticed one of your friends or a small child stealing?   Answer Question

Merchandising Specialist

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Best Buy in October 2009.

Interview Details – I applied online for merchandising and cashier at Best Buy and they called me a few days later to set up an interview. The interview was set for 2:00 and when I arrived I talked to the greeter at the door and he said the person who was supposed to interview me had to push the interview back to 3:00. I left the store and came back at that time and the greeter told me the interviewer was still in a meeting and I would have to wait a little longer and for me to just walk around the store. I think I walked every aisle of that store until 40 minutes later, the interviewer found me, so I waited nearly two hours to be interviewed. The person who did the actual interview seemed to want to just speed through it; she was nice, but she did not do much to make me comfortable. She asked about five questions about my availability, past work experiences, and times I had worked on a team or been a leader. The whole interview was no longer than ten minutes. She then told me that the next step was for her to give my interview sheet that she wrote my answers on to the GM and if he liked it he would call within 24 hours to set up a second interview. It's been about that long and I have not received a call. I don't know exactly what they were looking for because I had a similar interview today and got a job offer on the spot using similar answers. I would never apply there again because I thought they were very disrespectful to me in having me wait an hour and forty minutes for a ten minute interview. If you have that time to waste, then it might be a good job for you.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were not the designated leader on a team but you stepped up and became one.   Answer Question
  • What is your favorite and least favorite thing about working on a team?   Answer Question

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!