Best Buy

Getting the Interview

4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Portable Electronics Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy.

Interview Details – I've been hired by by them twice, in two separate cities.
First step was filling a very long online personality survey/questionnaire (which is supplied by a separate company called UNICRU), which is used to determine if you are a suitable applicant. This helps weed through the applicants on who is hireable. If you meet up to par and they're hiring, then begins the next phase of interviewing process. Sometimes they do an over the phone interview first, but most often you'll get a call for an interview in the with a manager or supervisor. They'll ask you about yourself, your interests, why you want to work at Best Buy, what department you'd be interested in working in, etc. but let me stress for you to be open, honest, and friendly (nobody wants to work with a secretive, angry liar). They're very good about telling liars or people just telling them what they'd think they'd want to hear. Remember the interviewer is a regular person too. After that interview, if you passed, you'll find out either on the spot or later to have an interview with the store's GM. At that point, it's almost guaranteed you've gotten the job. Just be open, honest, and friendly. If you pass the interview with the GM and s/he makes you an offer, you'll have to pass a drug test and a background check. If everything comes back good, they'll call you to get everything set up and schedule your orientation date. You might get the position you applied for, or the GM might ask you if you'd work in a different area depending on your knowledge or personality. I was offered both times if I wanted to be in sales, front lanes, or customer service.
To be honest before both my initial interviews, something had happened in my personal life that put me in a terrible mood. Typically I'm a very bubbly personality, but when I got to the interview, I was quietly stressed that I wasn't going to be hired because I couldn't be as perky as I normally am. During my interview I was friendly and honest, and I got to know my interviewers to an extent. Found common interests like music (One of my interviewers is a heavy metal fan along with a big gamer, as am I) or workplace initiatives (another interviewer and I shared a tendency for being very organized and a bit of neat freaks). If you know someone that works there who is a good friend or will vouch for you, go ahead and mention the connection. I had a few friends who had worked at one store in home theater and geek squad. Made making a connection easier. It's hard to set timelines for hiring because they change depending on the store and management. In one manager interview, he passed me on to GM's interview the same day. At the other store, the manager had to schedule me for the next week since the GM was out of town.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness/flaw?
What was a situation at your previous job that you had to resolve?
  View Answer

Riverdale, NJ

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Best Buy in November 2012.

Interview Details – Online application, personality test you need to lie to in order to get through

Interview Question – N/A   Answer Question

Cumming, GA

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Best Buy in July 2011.

Interview Details – I applied for the job and received a phone interview.

I got a call back for a 1:1 interview with the supervisor I was going to be working under and he asked me questions consisting of basic interview questions and why I wanted to work in the department I was applying in.

A few days later I had another 1:1 interview with a manager and his questions were more about why I wanted to work at Best Buy in general and why I wanted to work in sales. (He also asked me to sell him on a pen.)

Lastly 2 days later I had one last 1:1 interview with the General Manager. He asked a few of the same questions as the manager in my last inteview, but this was a much shorter interview. He gave me room to ask him questions and then offered me the job on the spot.

Interview Question – I was given a pen and told to sell the manager the pen.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation process. I was told what I would be payed and what hours to expect and I accepted.

Portable Electronics Sales Associate Interview

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in August 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process consisted of 3 parts - the online interview, a 1:1 interview with one of the managers and a 1:1 with the GM. For me, the GM was on vacation so my third interview was with one of the senior managers. Questions ranged in variety and were pretty average. They asked me how I would sell a particular product and asked me a few situational questions such as "If you found out that one of your co-workers was stealing, what would you do?"

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Best Buy

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Best Buy Portable Electronics Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by Best Buy employees and interview candidates.