Best Buy Interview Questions in Richfield, MN

2.9

30 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Analyst, Talent Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richfield, MN

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Best Buy.

A total of 6 interviews. Very lengthy process with very little communication. The organization is still a dinosaur with many downfalls including an apparent lack of communication between extremely related sectors of the organization. Was given wrong information numerous times and was in contact with many different people who did not communicate with each other throughout the process.

Senior IT Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richfield, MN

I applied online – interviewed at Best Buy.

Very easy and straight forward. Highly competitive. I was selected out of dozens of candidates. Minnesota nice. They appear to be very busy and working very hard at making Best Buy successful. I had the impression that this company has a bright future. But you will be working very hard. Luckily, that's my type of job. I prefer to be very busy. Sounds like a great place to work.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were reasonable and well thought out. Very well done.   Answer Question

The offer came from the outside Consulting Firm (Latitude 36) that Best Buy hired. Once hired, the Consulting firm offered me the job first at $5 less per hour than what we agreed to and then $10 less per hour. Consulting rates are set prior to an interview. Period. It is not fair, or acceptable in the Consulting Community, to drastically reduce an agreed upon rate upon hire and then get angry when the Consultant can't afford to take the reduced rate. And I had it in writing guaranteeing me the rate I needed prior to the interview, or I would not have interviewed. I had no choice but to say "No" even though I really wanted the job. Instead of doing what they could to save this opportunity, like making the $10 profit up somewhere else, I was blamed and pretty much called a liar. Did I mention that I have the agreed upon rate in writing? I would definitely accept this job if the Consulting Firm had honored their agreement with me. It's really a shame that I was forced to say "No" when I really wanted the job.

Senior Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richfield, MN

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Best Buy.

They used an Agency to fill this position so the first step was a brief conversation with the vendor. Second was a phone interview with the Best Buy Hiring Manager. Third was an in-person interview at Corporate. The process was slow and unorganized, then completely fell apart at the end. If you've heard all the negative rumors about Best Buy's Recruiting/HR Team's Interview process and work environment I am confirming their validity.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer bailed on the interview. When the interviewer was 30 minutes late for the interview, they decided to invent an excuse rather than do the professional thing and simply call me to cancel or outright reject me as a candidate.   View Answer

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richfield, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Best Buy in October 2013.

Applied through the Best Buy jobs site. Had a recruiter contact me within a few days. Essentially did an over the phone interview with her. She was extremely nice and helpful. After that she said she would forward my resume to the hiring manager. I waited around a week for another interview. I ended up getting a panel interview. The questions were difficult to an extent but if you had the experience they said on the REQ then it should be a daily easy interview to get though. They told me it would be a few weeks before they reach out to me and after around 2 weeks they offered me the job.

Interview Questions
    • Please give me an example of a problem you could not solve and what you did   View Answer
    I did not need to negotiate. They offered more then I had asked for.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richfield, MN

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Best Buy.

Initially i had a phone interview with two BA's. They focused on my experiences as a BA.Then I was called in for a Face to Face interview. I was interviewed by the same two BA's + a PM and a Program Manager. They asked scenario based questions.

Had flown in to the HQ for the interview.Got the job offer the same day (as soon as i reached the airport to head back home)

Demand Planning Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richfield, MN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Best Buy.

Started with a phone interview with a recruiter then two pannel interviews and a case study. Called back for a second interview with an additional pannel.

One panel was great. Was with 2 current DPA's and I believe the department VP. The case study was nothing special. What do you need to know to answer this question sort of thing. The gentlemen running it were pleasant though I talked 90% of the time so didn't get a good feel for them.

The third panel was horrid. When given the opportunity to ask questions I threw in a couple that I typically find interviewers are thrown off by to see how prepared they are. Was surprised during one panel interview as well as the callback interview at how underwhelming the team leads and senior position holders were.

I had been warned by a few friends who had recently left or were interviewing elsewhere to get out that the culture around there is to fill empty seats of quality people heading elsewhere which leads to woefully underqualified people dragging down daily processes. I didn't expect it to be so obvious during the interviews themselves but this didn't seem like a smart long term career choice.

Interview Questions
    • All behavior questions. Tell me about a time or what's something you did type questions. The case study is nothing special as long as you can justify your responses.   Answer Question

Offer was generous. However, I interviewed despite advice of friends who worked there or had worked there. With how the company is going, anyone worth what they were getting paid has left or is trying to leave for companies like Cargill, Target, US bank or other local companies. The people remaining are under qualified for their jobs and it showed during two of the panels. Seemed like a good place for a short term boost only to get "reorganized" out of a job in 3 years.

Senior Analytical Applications Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richfield, MN

I applied online – interviewed at Best Buy.

I was contacted by a recruiter about two days after I applied for the position online. We scheduled a phone interview, which was held about a week after the initial call. After about 45 minutes of discussing my prior work history, I was invited to come onsite (Richfield, MN) and participate in a series of interviews with the hiring manager and two of her colleagues. The interview was a week after the phone interview and I did not receive the actual time that the interview was to be held until the day prior. When I went into the interview(s), I was told by each manager that they had not consulted with the other managers as to what questions they would each be asking, so I should be prepared to answer the same question more than once. The actual interviews were fine - a little scattered and informal at times. One of the managers spent the majority of the interview talking about how great Best Buy was and how wonderful he was.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself - I never know how to answer this one!   Answer Question

Human Resources Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richfield, MN

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Best Buy.

Contacted by recruiter. Had a positive phone interview regarding background and experience. Then had phone panel interview with 3 peer level employees. Asked behavioral type questions "explain a time when'. Two weeks later, flew to Richfield for a panel interview with 7 Best Buy employees, Director an above. The panel interview was painful but the questions asked are the same questions that are listed on glassdoor, so that helped. After the panel, several weeks went by then received email from recruiter to set up phone interview with hiring manager, who had some follow up questions regarding management and communication style. That interview was more friendly. Was told they would make a decision in a week. Never heard back. Finally emailed recruiter who said they offered the position to an internal. Overall, the process was pretty painful...

Interview Questions
    • What is your weakness?
      How would you explain your management approach?
      Why should we hire you?
      A lot of 'explain a time when,,,,' questions
        Answer Question

User Experience Design IXD Contract Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richfield, MN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Best Buy in August 2012.

The simplest and quickest interview process I've ever been on. Was recommended by a recruiter whom I had interviewed with in the past(one man operation, not a recruitment agency). He steered me through each and every step.

Received a phone call from a BBY vendor that prepared me for the interview (this was strange, i don't know if it had any impact on the hiring decision and seemed out of place)
    Had one interview on site with direct managers and senior coworkers (30 min). The interview was focused more on expectations than on if i would be a fit. My recruiter might have enough reputation that I didn't need to prove anything, I just had to deliver.

Interview was business casual.

Questions were focused on UX, or on personality, everything was a smooth & enjoyable experience.

Went quickly through a project from my portfolio at the end and had time to grill the interviewers. Was escorted out and asked to leave the premises, received a phone call regarding the results of the interview later that day.

Interview Questions
    • Typical questions regarding how you work within a team, to weird questions that have no wrong answer, like how many hot dogs fit in the metronome.   Answer Question
    I went through a recruiter, so there wasn't one.

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richfield, MN

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Best Buy in August 2012.

With a group of others, take a short answer technical test. Wait for 2 months before getting a callback. Accepted the offer and started, however with the disconnected groups it was a month before I had hardware and 6 months before I had complete access to the systems I needed.

Interview Questions
    • Text book type question about semantic html, wasn't really hard but it was the type of question where you pause and try to remember the phrasing of a concept you've absorbed rather than described.   View Answer