Best Buy

2.9

34 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richfield, MN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Best Buy.

Too many interviews to actually get the job...I went through 4 and it took 5 months before they actually decided to hire me. Early on, one of the people who interviewed me was a new hire who had only been there 2 days. Seriously? You put a newbie out there to interview folks expecting that this person is going to know if the candidate is a good fit for your company, culture and specific job?

Interview Questions
    • I had all sorts of unexpected questions. Early on they were asking me questions about a position that I hadn't even applied for. I had to ask them why they brought me in if I didn't apply for this job and didn't have anything on my resume, no key words, no experience even related to it. I'll leave it at that.   Answer Question
    Lengthy...

Demand Forecast Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richfield, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Best Buy in October 2014.

Phone interview with a few members of the team, all behavioral based. Followed by second round interviews at Best Buy HQ. 3 30 min interviews with two people. critical thinking assessment, Tour, dinner and hotel stay provided

Other job offer

Senior Analyst, Talent Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richfield, MN

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Best Buy.

A total of 6 interviews. Very lengthy process with very little communication. The organization is still a dinosaur with many downfalls including an apparent lack of communication between extremely related sectors of the organization. Was given wrong information numerous times and was in contact with many different people who did not communicate with each other throughout the process.

Senior IT Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richfield, MN

I applied online – interviewed at Best Buy.

Very easy and straight forward. Highly competitive. I was selected out of dozens of candidates. Minnesota nice. They appear to be very busy and working very hard at making Best Buy successful. I had the impression that this company has a bright future. But you will be working very hard. Luckily, that's my type of job. I prefer to be very busy. Sounds like a great place to work.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were reasonable and well thought out. Very well done.   Answer Question

The offer came from the outside Consulting Firm (Latitude 36) that Best Buy hired. Once hired, the Consulting firm offered me the job first at $5 less per hour than what we agreed to and then $10 less per hour. Consulting rates are set prior to an interview. Period. It is not fair, or acceptable in the Consulting Community, to drastically reduce an agreed upon rate upon hire and then get angry when the Consultant can't afford to take the reduced rate. And I had it in writing guaranteeing me the rate I needed prior to the interview, or I would not have interviewed. I had no choice but to say "No" even though I really wanted the job. Instead of doing what they could to save this opportunity, like making the $10 profit up somewhere else, I was blamed and pretty much called a liar. Did I mention that I have the agreed upon rate in writing? I would definitely accept this job if the Consulting Firm had honored their agreement with me. It's really a shame that I was forced to say "No" when I really wanted the job.

Senior Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richfield, MN

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Best Buy.

They used an Agency to fill this position so the first step was a brief conversation with the vendor. Second was a phone interview with the Best Buy Hiring Manager. Third was an in-person interview at Corporate. The process was slow and unorganized, then completely fell apart at the end. If you've heard all the negative rumors about Best Buy's Recruiting/HR Team's Interview process and work environment I am confirming their validity.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer bailed on the interview. When the interviewer was 30 minutes late for the interview, they decided to invent an excuse rather than do the professional thing and simply call me to cancel or outright reject me as a candidate.   View Answer

Territory Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richfield, MN

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Best Buy in April 2014.

Communication was clear, recruitment team were on point. Pre-Screen is consistent with all candidates & timing of interviews is fair. The process has improved over the last couple of years now that a good recruitment team is in place.

Interview Questions
    Not much negotiation in this role. In the past, employers are willing to listen to expectations & have a range of pay to work within

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richfield, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Best Buy in October 2013.

Applied through the Best Buy jobs site. Had a recruiter contact me within a few days. Essentially did an over the phone interview with her. She was extremely nice and helpful. After that she said she would forward my resume to the hiring manager. I waited around a week for another interview. I ended up getting a panel interview. The questions were difficult to an extent but if you had the experience they said on the REQ then it should be a daily easy interview to get though. They told me it would be a few weeks before they reach out to me and after around 2 weeks they offered me the job.

Interview Questions
    • Please give me an example of a problem you could not solve and what you did   View Answer
    I did not need to negotiate. They offered more then I had asked for.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richfield, MN

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Best Buy.

Initially i had a phone interview with two BA's. They focused on my experiences as a BA.Then I was called in for a Face to Face interview. I was interviewed by the same two BA's + a PM and a Program Manager. They asked scenario based questions.

Had flown in to the HQ for the interview.Got the job offer the same day (as soon as i reached the airport to head back home)

Demand Planning Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richfield, MN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Best Buy.

Started with a phone interview with a recruiter then two pannel interviews and a case study. Called back for a second interview with an additional pannel.

One panel was great. Was with 2 current DPA's and I believe the department VP. The case study was nothing special. What do you need to know to answer this question sort of thing. The gentlemen running it were pleasant though I talked 90% of the time so didn't get a good feel for them.

The third panel was horrid. When given the opportunity to ask questions I threw in a couple that I typically find interviewers are thrown off by to see how prepared they are. Was surprised during one panel interview as well as the callback interview at how underwhelming the team leads and senior position holders were.

I had been warned by a few friends who had recently left or were interviewing elsewhere to get out that the culture around there is to fill empty seats of quality people heading elsewhere which leads to woefully underqualified people dragging down daily processes. I didn't expect it to be so obvious during the interviews themselves but this didn't seem like a smart long term career choice.

Interview Questions
    • All behavior questions. Tell me about a time or what's something you did type questions. The case study is nothing special as long as you can justify your responses.   Answer Question

Offer was generous. However, I interviewed despite advice of friends who worked there or had worked there. With how the company is going, anyone worth what they were getting paid has left or is trying to leave for companies like Cargill, Target, US bank or other local companies. The people remaining are under qualified for their jobs and it showed during two of the panels. Seemed like a good place for a short term boost only to get "reorganized" out of a job in 3 years.

Senior Analytical Applications Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richfield, MN

I applied online – interviewed at Best Buy.

I was contacted by a recruiter about two days after I applied for the position online. We scheduled a phone interview, which was held about a week after the initial call. After about 45 minutes of discussing my prior work history, I was invited to come onsite (Richfield, MN) and participate in a series of interviews with the hiring manager and two of her colleagues. The interview was a week after the phone interview and I did not receive the actual time that the interview was to be held until the day prior. When I went into the interview(s), I was told by each manager that they had not consulted with the other managers as to what questions they would each be asking, so I should be prepared to answer the same question more than once. The actual interviews were fine - a little scattered and informal at times. One of the managers spent the majority of the interview talking about how great Best Buy was and how wonderful he was.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself - I never know how to answer this one!   Answer Question