Best Buy

15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Media Specialist Interview

Mira Loma, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Best Buy.

Interview Details – My personal interview was for a job at the store that wasn't open yet, so it took place at a safe, nearby hotel. Directions were clear, not shady. I had one interview with a supervisor and another gentleman, and second interview with a General Manager. After being informed that I got the job, all hired employees were required to fill out tax information at the hotel until construction on the building was complete.

Interview Question – The questions weren't hard, they just required me to be honest, friendly and familiar with video games.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really isn't one, it's retail so in starting out they set you at the lowest pay rate (which is still above minimum wage).

Sales Transaction Assistant Interview

Apple Valley, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in September 2013.

Interview Details – I was interviewed at a job fair. This was an all day event. There were three interviews. The first interview was a group interview with about 10 of us around a table one by one answering the same basic questions. The second interview was a one on one interview with one of the department managers. It was very relaxed but straight to the point. The last interview was with the general manager. At this point, it was pretty clear that I had the job. Most of the questions were based around either working as a team, offering credit card services or customer service.

Interview Question – Give an example of a time when you went above and beyond to provide excellent customer service and how did the customer respond.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I wasn't given a dollar amount until after I had already accepted. It was during the processing.

Geek Squad, Autotech Lead MECP Master Interview

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in July 2010.

Interview Details – Hiring process may typically consist of three interviews. After all interviews, expect to have spoken with the Autotech Lead or another Autotech, the sales supervisor for the mobile/portable electronics department, a store level manager, and the general store manager. Expect to answer job related questions involving technical knowledge or customer service as well as typical HR questions, depending on the current interviewer. Expect to show job experience or existing mobile electronics certification to merit higher starting pay.

Interview Question – The most difficult questions will likely be the general HR questions such as "what do you do if you see a coworker take a drink from store stock and not pay for it?" Many technicians show up to interview expecting the position to be exempt from the typical retail store interview questions. Autotechs can be some of the highest paid store level employees given the right talent; but an Autotech is still a Geek Squad employee and it should be expected to be versed in the usual retail store disciplines to achieve the greatest heights.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Only expect negotiating leverage if you're able to back up your skills and talent with signs that you can be a successful retail employee, regardless of what position you're applying for.

Laptop Repair Tech Interview

Chino, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in February 2010.

Interview Details – one phone call interview and 2 in person.

Interview Question – really wasn't the questions but how he asked them. real monotone, blank stare, I tried to relax but he didnt relax until I spoke of a techie joke so in that way it was a little wierd.   Answer Question

Transaction Assistant -Cashier Interview

Chino, CA

Interview Details – i was called by a recruiter to come in for an interview the same week. I arrived about 10 minutes before the interview but the Team Leader was running late with her interviews. She asked the questions and when it was over she let me know right away that i would go on to the next interview and gave me some pointers on how i should prepare for it.

Then came the next interview with the General Manager. I passed and i got a call within the next week.

Interview Question – they were are behavioral and situational questions   View Answer

Negotiation Details – NO negotiating, I have no idea what the wage i get paid is yet -____-

Very Easy Interview

Best Buy Mobile Interview

San Bernardino, CA

Interview Details – I applied online and got called a few weeks later for an interview. You usually go through 3 interviews but i only did 2. The first one was general questions, 2nd one had to do with employee theft. I got offered job within 2 hours over the phone.

Interview Question – How would sell a cell phone to someone?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Usually they discuss pay but i got mine through email. Where i was offered $10 an hour. I was fine with that since its a lot more than minimum wage .

Very Easy Interview

Consultation Agent Interview

Riverside, CA

I interviewed at Best Buy in August 2013.

Interview Details – Interview was pretty laid back. They have a booklet that has a few questions that is pertaining to the job. They read through the booklet and ask you the questions and you have to answer them to the best of your ability (for example - What would you do if you witnessed an employee stealing protect from the store?) Just make sure to answer the questions truthfully and to make sure to speak about prior experience and you should be sure to get hired.

Interview Question – There wasn't really anything that hard,   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Wage was negotiable, so make sure not to just accept the first low ball offer.

Computer Specialist Interview

Computer Specialist
Ontario, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Best Buy in June 2009.

Interview Details – I submitted my application via the online services and within one day I recieved a phone call for an interview. During the phone call I was asked the department preference. My first interview was with the computers supervisor and it was very laid back. He asked me questions about my sales and experience and asked me to sale him a stapler. The second interview was the same day, with the sales manager. She was more uptight but asked similar questions. The third interview was with the GM and she didn't really ask questions other than work schedules. She hired me right then and the experience was pretty swift/

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Cashier Interview

Temecula, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in October 2012.

Interview Details – Went into the Best Buy store and patiently waited as other interviewers were called in. Finally, I was greeted by the general manager who was very very kind! He asked basic questions like, "Why Best Buy?" and "If you were in charge of the Best Buy store and you caught one of your employees taking a piece of gum vs. taking a $600 camera, how would you handle the situation?" He also asked questions of my availability and explained that it's a seasonal position that could lead to a regular time job if I prove to be great which he thought I would. Also, other questions asked were, "What is 'great' customer service opposed to 'good' customer service?" and "What do you find to be a good quality in a manager?"

Overall, he was very professional and courteous and knew how to laugh. An important reminder is to be yourself and not overwork your mind with interview questions, relax, know how to have a laugh and SMILE! Right from the beginning, smile!

He wanted to hire me on the spot based on my personality he thought I'd "shine" and be a good asset to the Best Buy team. I was then asked to do a drug test and would be called in for orientation the next week. I was called a few days later asking to come wearing a white polo and khaki pants for orientation from 10-5 and another one the next day for 2 hours discussing black friday.

And about salary, I put down $8.25 because I didn't know their range when I applied online, he told me they'd be more than willing to pay that rate if not exceed it.

Interview Questions

• If you were the owner of this store, how would you handle an employee who stole a pack of gum compared to a $600 camera?   View Answer
  • What quality do you look for in a manager?   View Answer
  • Why Best Buy?   View Answer
  • What's the difference between 'good' customer service and 'great' customer service?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Initially, I had accepted the offer, but unfortunately do to personal events I was led to decline the offer and not show up to orientation. It would have been great pay $9 an hour and a great atmosphere to work in and I regret it not being able to work out.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Chino, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in October 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process was actually really quick for me. I applied online but didn't keep track of when i did. I never got a phone interview. Eventually, I got a call asking me when I'd be able to come in for an interview, which ended up being at 1 PM on Halloween! I was the first interview that day but I still wanted to make a huge impression. I dressed formally and even brought a resume. The manager was really nice and I felt very comfortable, even though it came off as calm and relaxed. He asked me a lot of questions from a packet but they were generally easy, even though I didn't have any work experience. If you are applying for a sales position and they ask you how you'd sell them something make sure you introduce yourself. I didn't and he just told me that it was okay since each department has training on how to sell to people. During the interview, two other managers came in and said, "Surprise! This is your surprise panel interview!" They were joking of course but it was nice to know that everyone was so laid back at that store. After all the questioning he asked if I had any questions. My only question was, "If you were going to call me back for a second interview, when would you contact me?" He told me he'd notify me that day and said he wanted me to come back at 4 PM for a second interview. When I got back there later, he just offered me the job then and there. I was really excited! They only hired me for a seasonal position but they said it was possible that I could be hired permanently in mid-January. The position was $9.50/hr which was fantastic for my 1st job!

Interview Question – The questions that threw me a curve most of the time was when I had finish telling him how I did something and he's ask me, "and what was the result?" even though I had already told him. I felt like I was repeating myself.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Best Buy interview questions and advice in Riverside, CA. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by Best Buy employees and interview candidates.