Best Buy

Getting the Interview

322 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Best Buy

Interview Details – It was quite weird. They hired because I speak fluent English and I am great with talking to people. They ask my simple questions about if I ever got in trouble and where I studied in school. They did a test on me by pretending to be customer and I had to help him. It was quite an experience.

Interview Question – How can we improve our sales as our company is continuing lose revenue despite keeping our ideals?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Grand Rapids, MI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in January 2010.

Interview Details – I applied for the job online. I got a call a week later asking me to come into the store. In store interview was easy.

Interview Question – If you aren't a moron you can get a job. They asked me all kinds of stupid questions like if I did drugs, steal or if I had been arrested. They literally asked me if I needed $10, would I borrow it from the register. When I said "No" I was then asked if borrowing $5 was ok. Then $1.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. I was given a dollar per hour rate and told that was all they would offer.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy.

Interview Details – Phone call to go in for an interview.
You are interviewed with one of the supervisors, both about the job, and about you personally to see if they like you as a personality.
If you do good you get called back for a second interview. Same process, but with an assistant manager.
If he likes you then you sit down with the store manager who tells you some quick details, mentions a drug test, and than ask if you still want the position. Pending the drug test, you are in.

I HAVE NO CLUE HOW THE INTERVIEW PROCESS WILL CHANGE. SUPERVISORS NO LONGER EXIST.

Interview Question – You were asked the typical detailed questions to give examples of times when you were in a tough situation and had to make a decision. or when you had an angry customer and how you handled it. or how you would deal with a coworker that doesn't like you. etc. etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate. this is a sales job, i doubt i would get any more than what was offered. at least its above minimum wage.

Rockford, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Best Buy in April 2010.

Interview Details – The initial communication was through a phone call. Then they setup an interview a few days later. There was an interview after that with the general manager for the final approval. The interviews were pretty straight forward as they are from a script generated from the application process. Overall, it was not that long of a process to be hired. There was a background check and drug test.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a co-worker who wasn't doing his/her fair share of the work. What did you do and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was told what my pay would be and that there really was no negotiating since it was an entry level job.

Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Best Buy in February 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online without knowing anyone who personally worked at Best Buy. It was right after the holidays. I heard back from the store's HR person (a position that is not typical at the retail locations). She scheduled me for an interview within a couple days with the person who would be my direct supervisor.

My first interview, with the direct supervisor, was pretty standard. Questions about how to react to theft, difficult times with a former employee/colleague, difficult times with a customer, strengths, weaknesses, etc. It helped that my direct supervisor was a video game fan, it came up during the interview and we got to talk a bit about video games -- definitely showed him I knew what I was talking about and could hold a conversation with a stranger!

From there, my second interview was scheduled with a customer service manager. This interview was more of the same -- but more questions about your background, what you do in your spare time, how you would react to specific customer situations and about your experience/goals.

Third and final interview was scheduled with the store manager -- the boss hog! Once you make it to this point, you've pretty much got the job. Supervisors and managers are held responsible if they waste the store manager's time with a prospect that will not fit the culture of Best Buy or make a good salesperson. That's not to say, however, that you can't be rejected at this stage. If you say or do something that the store manager doesn't like he can reject you. However, if your brief interaction with him goes well, expect to be made an offer and to be asked to sign paperwork confirming your employment.

After I accepted my offer (which was low for all of my experience, but I needed the job) I was scheduled to begin training/orientation. It was a three day process, held over a weekend. Expect the usual; going over dress code, all of the company acronyms, basic responsibilities, how to clock in and out and tax paperwork.

Next, you'll shadow employees in whichever department you work in. I personally worked in computers, digital cameras, MP3s, car audio and gaming. These were the areas I was responsible for, but when you work at Best Buy, be prepared to sell everywhere. Don't know anything about TVs? You'll learn. You'll spend a lot of time taking eLearnings about the various products, services and solutions offered by Best Buy.

Interview Question – Why do you want this job?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. I was offered a low-ball amount and took it because like most others, I needed the job.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Best Buy.

Interview Details – Online application and questionnaire which will determine based off your answers if you are eligible for employment. This acts as your first interview. The second interview is a phone screening. After that is an in person interview with a supervisor/assistant manager. The final step would be an interview with the general manager and then new employee training.

Interview Question – "Tell me about a time you went above and beyond for someone"   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in April 2013.

Interview Details – phone interview first then call back for in person interview took about two weeks for all

Interview Question – what do you expect from us?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – easy

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Best Buy.

Interview Details – They first call you and set up a phone interview, then they call you in for a interview if you pass the phone interview. Then after your first interview you get another interview with the GM and if you pass that then you take a drug test and then you're in.

Interview Question – Describe your most difficult obstacle and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Paradise Valley, AZ

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Best Buy.

Interview Details – Generic questions of describe a time you.....

Negotiation Details – There wasn't much of one. I asked for top dollar and got what they maxed at for and associate who is not a supervisor.

Allen, TX

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Best Buy.

Interview Details – Extremely scenario based! Know yourself and be calm, talk about business situations and how you overcame them.

Interview Question – How to deal with an employee that feels they deserved the position rather than you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much room for negotiation. Be real and communicate with management and they will do what they can to help you out if they want you.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Best Buy

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Best Buy Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 322 interview reviews posted anonymously by Best Buy employees and interview candidates.