Best Buy Sales Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Sep 9, 2014

2.5

46 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Consultant Interview

Just a simple interview. Its more about you as a person than your knowledge on products. Let them know what figuring out what the customer will be using the product for is important in the sales process.

Other Interview Reviews for Best Buy

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in October 2012.

Phone Interview and then In person interview. General manager tried to discuss further on responsibilities. As well as trying to grasp a better impression of the interviewee. Yet doesn't give much of a tell on whether the interview is going well or not.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Duluth, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Duluth, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in August 2013.

I applied online and two days later, I received an email to call their store to set up an interview with a sales manager. So I called and they told me the time they set my interview for.

It was a pretty typical retail interview, nothing too difficult. Typical questions like "Why do you want to work at Best Buy?", "What department do YOU think you will be best suited for?", "What do you think we should do if an employee is caught stealing?" (ALWAYS say fire them for that question!)

At the end of the interview, the manager informed me that he will set me up for an interview with the general manager. If you get an interview with the general manager, you are pretty much in unless you REALLY mess up somehow. It was a pretty short interview. The GM asked me few of the same questions that the sales manager asked. Then the GM asked me about my availability and after that, she told me their pay rate and that I will get the official job offer in my email.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions...
      They ask to tell them about yourself, and certain scenarios like if you catch an employee stealing.
        Answer Question
    Their pay is dependent on your qualifications... I was offered 9.75/Hour. I wasn't given an option to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  North Riverside, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Riverside, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in November 2012.

Did an application online got a call back a week later . Was told I would be interviewing with a manager that ending up not showing up so I interviewed with an assistant store manager and the interview was 5 minutes long .He just asked about my availability , when would i be able to start and if I could past a drug test .

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Best Buy in July 2014.

I applied online and got a call a few days later. I then scheduled an interview for the next weeks since I was going to be busy over the weekend. The HR girl had no problem with it and put me in for an interview with the sales manager on Tuesday. Day comes by and I arrive 10 min early asking for the sales manager. Turns out I was too early and I had to wait for him to finish up some work before meeting with him. He approached me 5 min after the planned meeting time and sat me down in a small room. He looked over my application and asked why I could not work Saturdays. I told him that I need that day off for personal reasons and school, which he said he respects, but that in order to even do a formal review I have to be able to work Friday, Saturday, and Sunday minimum. I stared at him with the most confused face, because why call me in for an interview and then deny me said interview because my availability doesn't match yours when 1. Those days were not listed on the job listing. 2. I put my availability on the application already. and 3. I put my availability on my resume. I told him no, especially since I put my availability down previously on both my application and resume, and he walked me out. Did no one read my application/resume? They could have also easily called me to ask if I could work that day and if not to not come in for an interview anymore. Unprofessional and a waste of time. Glad I did not get an offer if the higher ups at this store are that incompetent.

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Best Buy.

Four interviews. First a telephone screening interview from the store's HR manager. Depending on how that interview went, you will be scheduled for a second interview with a sales floor manager. If that interview goes well, you will be contacted for a third interview with the manager of the department you are looking to join. The final interview is with the store's General Manager and if you made it to this interview you will be a job offer.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too unexpected. All of the questions are typical retail behavioral questions, i.e.: "Name a time that you had to work with a difficult customer. What steps did you take and what was the outcome?"   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation. I recommend requesting a high wage when filling out the online application, as the General Manager will only try to offer a lower wage than the one requested on the application. Most new hires start at $9.00 per hour.

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in March 2013.

I was interviewed 4 times over the course of about a month. It was with 4 different people and each person had a different job title and each one also asked me the exact same questions.(which I gave the exact same answers every time.)

Interview Questions
    They told me this is what we are offering you, I asked if there is any way we can discuss a higher rate and I was told everyone is hired at the same pay rate and you will be eligible for a raise after your 90 day probation period (which was a lie)

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Best Buy in May 2013.

I applied online in February and received a call early may for the position by HR.

Interview Questions
    • It was a very comfortable interview. Get to know you personally, Understanding you values. How would you sell? What would you do...?   Answer Question
    No negotiation pay rate it fixed with bonus if store reaches quota for the month.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Best Buy in October 2012.

There are three interviews that take place, one over the phone with 'Back Office Lead' which is the employee in charge of paperwork throughout the store, second with department manager, and third with General Manager. The second interview is where the impression is given the Department manager asks questions about team work, ethics, previous experience, etc. If the process reaches the third interview the interviewee has an 80% probability of getting hired, so the GM would discuss pay and a contract would be signed.

Interview Questions
    • The interview process is simple, yet retains questions that are open ended. Team involvment, prior experience, are usually the most challenging. Therefore, interviewee should be confident and perhaps provide stories that will relate to their personal lives and/or setting as such.   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at Best Buy in October 2013.

Had to submit a drug test, was asked about my criminal history, you will not be hired if you have theft on your background. I was really nervous when I was interviewed and when the store manager came out for the second part of the interview I was even more nervous.

Interview Questions
    • Name a situation where you were treated poorly by another coworker or customer and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!