Best Buy

Average Difficulty
44 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Duluth, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in August 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and two days later, I received an email to call their store to set up an interview with a sales manager. So I called and they told me the time they set my interview for.

It was a pretty typical retail interview, nothing too difficult. Typical questions like "Why do you want to work at Best Buy?", "What department do YOU think you will be best suited for?", "What do you think we should do if an employee is caught stealing?" (ALWAYS say fire them for that question!)

At the end of the interview, the manager informed me that he will set me up for an interview with the general manager. If you get an interview with the general manager, you are pretty much in unless you REALLY mess up somehow. It was a pretty short interview. The GM asked me few of the same questions that the sales manager asked. Then the GM asked me about my availability and after that, she told me their pay rate and that I will get the official job offer in my email.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions...
They ask to tell them about yourself, and certain scenarios like if you catch an employee stealing.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Their pay is dependent on your qualifications... I was offered 9.75/Hour. I wasn't given an option to negotiate.

North Riverside, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in November 2012.

Interview Details – Did an application online got a call back a week later . Was told I would be interviewing with a manager that ending up not showing up so I interviewed with an assistant store manager and the interview was 5 minutes long .He just asked about my availability , when would i be able to start and if I could past a drug test .

Interview Question – none at all   Answer Question

Sales Consultant

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Best Buy in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and got a call a few days later. I then scheduled an interview for the next weeks since I was going to be busy over the weekend. The HR girl had no problem with it and put me in for an interview with the sales manager on Tuesday. Day comes by and I arrive 10 min early asking for the sales manager. Turns out I was too early and I had to wait for him to finish up some work before meeting with him. He approached me 5 min after the planned meeting time and sat me down in a small room. He looked over my application and asked why I could not work Saturdays. I told him that I need that day off for personal reasons and school, which he said he respects, but that in order to even do a formal review I have to be able to work Friday, Saturday, and Sunday minimum. I stared at him with the most confused face, because why call me in for an interview and then deny me said interview because my availability doesn't match yours when 1. Those days were not listed on the job listing. 2. I put my availability on the application already. and 3. I put my availability on my resume. I told him no, especially since I put my availability down previously on both my application and resume, and he walked me out. Did no one read my application/resume? They could have also easily called me to ask if I could work that day and if not to not come in for an interview anymore. Unprofessional and a waste of time. Glad I did not get an offer if the higher ups at this store are that incompetent.

Interview Question – nothing difficult   Answer Question

Sales Consultant

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Best Buy.

Interview Details – Four interviews. First a telephone screening interview from the store's HR manager. Depending on how that interview went, you will be scheduled for a second interview with a sales floor manager. If that interview goes well, you will be contacted for a third interview with the manager of the department you are looking to join. The final interview is with the store's General Manager and if you made it to this interview you will be a job offer.

Interview Question – Nothing too unexpected. All of the questions are typical retail behavioral questions, i.e.: "Name a time that you had to work with a difficult customer. What steps did you take and what was the outcome?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. I recommend requesting a high wage when filling out the online application, as the General Manager will only try to offer a lower wage than the one requested on the application. Most new hires start at $9.00 per hour.

Sales Consultant

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in March 2013.

Interview Details – I was interviewed 4 times over the course of about a month. It was with 4 different people and each person had a different job title and each one also asked me the exact same questions.(which I gave the exact same answers every time.)

Interview Question – There were none   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They told me this is what we are offering you, I asked if there is any way we can discuss a higher rate and I was told everyone is hired at the same pay rate and you will be eligible for a raise after your 90 day probation period (which was a lie)

Baltimore, MD

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Best Buy in May 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online in February and received a call early may for the position by HR.

Interview Question – It was a very comfortable interview. Get to know you personally, Understanding you values. How would you sell? What would you do...?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation pay rate it fixed with bonus if store reaches quota for the month.

Costa Mesa, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Best Buy in October 2012.

Interview Details – There are three interviews that take place, one over the phone with 'Back Office Lead' which is the employee in charge of paperwork throughout the store, second with department manager, and third with General Manager. The second interview is where the impression is given the Department manager asks questions about team work, ethics, previous experience, etc. If the process reaches the third interview the interviewee has an 80% probability of getting hired, so the GM would discuss pay and a contract would be signed.

Interview Question – The interview process is simple, yet retains questions that are open ended. Team involvment, prior experience, are usually the most challenging. Therefore, interviewee should be confident and perhaps provide stories that will relate to their personal lives and/or setting as such.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Sales Consultant

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Best Buy in October 2013.

Interview Details – Had to submit a drug test, was asked about my criminal history, you will not be hired if you have theft on your background. I was really nervous when I was interviewed and when the store manager came out for the second part of the interview I was even more nervous.

Interview Question – Name a situation where you were treated poorly by another coworker or customer and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Sales Consultant

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Best Buy.

Interview Details – Someone calls to feel you out. Ask Questions about experience and availability. There are two interviews. The first is with the assistant manager over the department that you are applying and then with the general manager of the store.

Interview Question – Give an example where you had to work alongside of someone with whom you normally didn't get along with. What did you do? What were the results?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't attempt to negotiate but later learned that the cap for sales associates is $12.06

Interviewed at Best Buy

Interview Details – Three different people interviewed me

Interview Question – Behavior base interview questions   Answer Question

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!