Best Buy

Getting the Interview

6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Louisville, KY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Best Buy.

Interview Details – There were signs out front of the store suggesting that I could apply online. The questions were standard fare, mostly concerned with honesty and integrity on the job site. After I applied, about three days later I was called in for an interview. I was invited into the backroom of the store and asked questions directly from the interview sheet such as "What was a time in which you were tasked with something difficult? How did you manage it?" I was then thanked for my time. The next day I was called back and told I received the job.

Interview Question – "Give an example of a time you failed at something." That was a curveball to what I was expecting.   Answer Question

Worcester, MA

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in October 2012.

Interview Details – Was initially told to apply for the position as I would be a great fit process is relatively quick for internal candidates. Applied, had phone interview with recruiter within a week, took about another week to get interview with manager and maybe two more weeks for the decision. Was a brand new store opening which is why the phone interview with a recruiter was needed otherwise no recruiter is needed for an existing store.

Interview Question – Pretty standard leadership questions.   Answer Question

Hyannis, MA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Best Buy in August 2010.

Interview Details – Online app with personality test, Phone interview, Face to face interview, drug test, Panel Review.

Interview Question – How does your past experience give to an advantage in this field?   Answer Question

Orlando, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Best Buy in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied to Best Buy and I was really happy to get a call back with in a week or so . I was called by the Back Office Lead ,he informed me that I was being chosen for an interview, I of course accepted and was told when & where to attend the interview. My first interview was with the department manager and he was awesome and he told me that it was refreshing to see such potential and talent in a young person. I was then told I would be called for a 2nd interview and I was called the very next day. The 2nd interview was with the General Manager and she was just as enthusiastic about interviewing me as the department manager was, she told me after a few general questions that I was HIRED and I felt awesome !! I received my job offer in my email the next day and it detailed everything I needed to know for the next step. Great experience ! :)

Interview Question – Honestly the questions were not anything that you shouldn't expect. General customer service scenarios and previous experience questions   Answer Question

Sales Lead

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Best Buy.

Interview Details – Hiring process was simple, mostly because of a recommendation from a friend who worked at the store (sorry, but this really does help). I applied, then within 2 days I received a phone call to come in for an interview the next day. The interview was mostly questions relation to customer service experiences such as, "have you been in a situation where a customer was unhappy, how did you react?" and "give an example of where you couldn't help a customer, how did it go" and questions like that.

Interview Question – Please remember that the "Theft" questions are very important. Such as "do you think an employee should be fired if caught stealing for the 1st time?" The answer is always YES, no hesitation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes, unfortunately I didn't. But base salary is usually based on experience. I didn't negotiate, but another employee I know did and got an extra $1.75, which isn't something to turn your nose up at.

Lawrence, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Best Buy in April 2012.

Interview Details – tell me about a time that you were given a goal that you failed to reach. What was the outcome?
Tell me about a time when you needed to get someone to do something for you, who you had no authority over (peer to peer, i.e. supervisor getting a manager to do something)
Tell me about a time when you had to give negative feedback to a peer (someon on the same level as you)? what was the outcome?
What would you do if I (your manager) felt one way about a policy and about how it should be executed and you disagreed?
based on your impression of this store, what do you think you could help us improve on/ what have you done to prepare yourself for this position?

Most interveiwers are specifically instructed not to give any feedback whether verbal or physical during or right after the interview. This can be a bit unnerving. Just let your personality come out in every answer that you give. Make sure that you bring a 30-60-90 day plan and don't be afraid to get help from a manager or business mentor on this. Also do as much as you can in terms of taking on additional responsibility off of the sales floor (learning about operations and product processing) since many managers are looking for people who can pick up some slack in the areas. Know the numbers of the store that you are applying to.
One great thing about any interviews that you do with best buy is that regardless of whether or not you get the position, they will call you with feedback so that you can grow and gain from the experience.
"Have fun while being the best!!!"

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to give tough feedback to a peer. what was the outcome?   View Answer
  • What do you think the most difficult art of being a Best Buy Mobile manager is and how would you deal with this?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I received a better offer from my current store to stay.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Best Buy

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Best Buy Sales Lead interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Best Buy employees and interview candidates.