Betfair Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Jan 27, 2015
Updated Jan 27, 2015

3.2

Trader Interview

First contact was a phone call come suitability test which was very simple. I was then asked for a face to face interview. The two interviewers were sound, astute people and gave me a good feel of what the company was about. Had fifteen minutes to do a few tests then the standard interview questions started.

TimeForm Radio Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hammersmith, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Betfair in June 2013.

I was contacted by Talent Acquisition manager who interviewed me by phone. This went well and a face-to-face was arranged. The rest included lack of contact and chasing them. I never met the original caller despite saying she would introduce me to the Heads of department and in the interview process it was made obvious it was more procedure than any real intent to employ anyone from the "outside".

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Betfair.

The position was found through a recruiter. She said that they were interested in a person with my skills and knowledge, so a phone interview was arranged. It was a really pleasant talk, out of the few phone interviews I enjoyed. I guess it was their point of view too, as they asked for a face-to-face interview. I'm not situated in UK, so I asked if it was the final step and the recruiter told me it was, so I did the trip. There I talked initially with two people from the team, with a variety of questions, from business to more technical ones. Then I had a brief meeting with the HR Manager and I was informed that this was not the final step, but if I passed I had to talk with a stakeholder, which was a bit of a surprise..I returned back home and after one week I was informed that I didn't get the job...and actually noone has, they would still continue the search. I do have a bitter taste, especially because of the trip, but you always gain something good from every interview you go through.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between a t-test and chi-square test?   View Answer

Commercial Strategy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Betfair in November 2012.

The hiring process was disorganised but the staff were friendly. I thought that I was going to attend a one hour interview but instead I had 4 one hour interviews with different members of staff, followed by an online aptitude test. If the HR department had been more organised I could have done the online aptitude test at home prior to the interview,and then had one panel interview with 4 staff lasting one hour.

Commercial Graduate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Betfair.

I had 2 interviews the first was pretty easy. Questions asked at the 1st interview included; "Tell us what you know about the company" and, "tell us what you know about the role and what transferable skills you have in-order to be successful in the role?"

Interview Questions
    • suggest a way in which the company can increase its turnover?   Answer Question

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Betfair in October 2011.

Very fast process, two weeks from being contacted by a staff agent to receiving the contract.

The first interview was over the phone (45 min) and the second one was a 1:1 with 2 people (1hr each).

Plenty of behavioural questions, a scenario was setup and my answers led into the next one.
    They were interested on how did I solve problems and face difficult people, the people who interviewed me were dynamic, enthusiastic and straight forward in all their questions.

I was encouraged to ask as many questions as I wanted and they gave me a very good insight on what to expect from the role and the main challenges I will be facing.

Interview Questions
    • If I ask your current boss, what will he say are your 3 main strengths?   Answer Question
    • One of your project resources didn't finish the task he was assigned on the day he promised. This is delaying your project, what would you do? - Every time I gave an answer he added another obstacle   Answer Question
    Personally I don't like to negotiate, therefore I was very clear from the beginning on what I want and they gave it to me without any hesitation.

Every doubt I have about the contract was answered the same day by different teams, they don't waste time!

Scrum Master Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hammersmith, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Betfair in August 2011.

My initial interview was over the phone. We stepped through the interview basics really, bit about the role, why the position became open, then we delved into questions about my experience and attitudes, overall I felt positive about the interview experience.

The second interview was face to face at betfair. The first guy was very abrasive and described the culture as somewhere that people will try and catch you out, try and pull the wool over your eyes (akin to his exact words), it came across as an environment that was utterly unsupportive. The next two guys were more pleasant, but only just. I was asked back for a third interview but declined, the impression I left with meant there was no way I wanted to join a team that seemed more like a politics laden snake pit.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Betfair in August 2011.

it took them 10 days to arrange a telephone interview.
    Telephone interview was average, I didn't fail any questions and at the end of the interview I was told that it was positive.
    After a week I sent an email asking if there was any updates. And I was told that the telephone interview was negative.
    I would stay away from them.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Betfair in June 2011.

very processional, informative and enthusiastic. The process challenged me and my thought process. The nature of the questioning gave no doubt i had to be truthful and factual with my answers there was no hiding place for embellishment

Interview Questions
    • If you could change one thing about your last job, what would it be?   Answer Question
    Professional and Considerate. There was a real sense to understand my personal motivation and needs whilst being transparent in the process followed

Front-End Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Betfair in September 2010.

First, phone interview.
    Second, Face 2 Face.

The Face 2 Face started with me having to answer a set of questions (some complex, some less) about technologies like HTML, CSS, Javascript, XML, XSLT. It was all about code: understanding it, writing it, noticing bugs etc.

Then, 2 engineer went through my answers with me, particularly on the one I got wrong, to try to see if I was able to fix my answers with some hints.

Interview Questions
    • What is a Javascript Enclosure? How does it work? How is it used?   Answer Question
    • What does this piece of XSLT returns if applied to this XML?   Answer Question