Bettis Laboratory

Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Engineer Interview

Associate Engineer
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Bettis Laboratory in November 2010.

Interview Details – Interview process consisted of two interviews, one over the phone, and one on-sight. Initial interview consisted of basic questions regarding experience and education. Follow-on interview was performed under escort at the laboratory.

Entry-Level Mechanical Engineer Interview

Entry-Level Mechanical Engineer
Pullman, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bettis Laboratory in October 2013.

Interview Details – First made contact with company at career fair. I discussed openings in the company and duties required for the positions. Was asked to interview the next day. Started by meeting with HR and discussed security clearance check and what happens next if offered a position. 30 minute interview, very easy going with 2 representatives from Bettis.

Interview Question – How would you respond if a technician was pushing a solution or plan forward that you believed to have an error/mistake?   Answer Question

Career Fait Interview

Career Fait

Interviewed at Bettis Laboratory

Interview Details – Basic Questions, very easy going review. Made me feel at ease.

Interview Question – What made you want to be a Mechanical Engineer?   Answer Question

Associate Electrical Engineer Interview

Associate Electrical Engineer

I applied online - interviewed at Bettis Laboratory in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for the aforementioned position via the official website for Bettis. Almost three months later, I received a phone call from a hiring manager asking if I was still interested in the position. We had a short interview over the phone and then a week later I was contacted to come in for an interview. My flight, hotel, and transportation were booked by Bettis and I was on my way. On the day of the interview, I met with an HR rep and two managers, each individually. Each session lasted about 30-60 minutes. After the interviews, I was taken to the airport. I flew in the night before and left immediately after the interview.

Interview Question – The majority of the questions were behavioral. They want to see how you handle yourself in certain situations.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Bettis Laboratory.

Interview Details – There were two interviews that were pretty difficult and required you to be quick on your feet. Overall the interviews went well, and all of the people were pretty nice.

Interview Question – They asked about my problem solving process if there was a leak in a pipe.   Answer Question

Associate Engineer Interview

Associate Engineer
West Mifflin, PA

I applied online - interviewed at Bettis Laboratory in July 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online. A month later, I received a call from the hiring manager. He discussed about the position and asked a little bit about my work experience. A week later an HR representative scheduled me for an on-site interview. They paid for my hotel and transportation. At the interview your HR rep will meet you first and discuss about the company, benefits, security clearance, etc. They will also give you forms for the drug test, physical exam, info about the relocation, etc. But these forms are to be filled out only when you have been extended an offer and you accepted the offer. Then you will have your picture and fingerprints taken just in case you will get an offer, this is to speed up the application process. After that, you will meet with the interviewer. My interview took about an hour with just the hiring manager, he discussed about their current projects and the things that the position will work on. As he discuss the project he asked me things on how am I going to solve those problems, it was mostly about how will I attack and solve a problem. There were some awkward moments when the interviewer didn't have anymore questions for me because HR scheduled the interview for an hour and a half and we pretty much covered everything in the interview in just about an hour. After that they will tell you the usual yadda yadda we will call you in two weeks. Then a car will be waiting outside of the company to take you back to the airport.

I suggest you get in touch with them in two weeks because I believe they really don't contact the applicant if he/she didn't get the job.

Interview Question – Just review the job description and concentrate on the things that you have done before that relates to the preferred qualifications of the position. They are mostly interested in how you are going to solve a problem than the behavioral stuff. Also, if you can bring a sample of your previous work/projects that would really help.   Answer Question

Summer Internship Interview

Summer Internship
West Mifflin, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bettis Laboratory.

Interview Details – You will be invited to an off-site interview with a group of students. Some will be visiting from other cities. You will meet the manager for the group you will work in. Some people will meet multiple managers if they qualify for multiple positions. After the interview, you can rank the positions by preference such that HR can accommodate everyone's interests.

Interview Question – Are you an active member in any professional societies or clubs? If so, how do you participate?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very formal. A call from HR will include a wage with a job offer. You can always call back with a decision.

Database Programmer Interview

Database Programmer
West Mifflin, PA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Bettis Laboratory in August 2011.

Interview Details – First I had a phone interview. Then I was scheduled for an in-person interview 2 weeks later. I was asked to bring a filled out Employment Application, an Updated Resume, Birth Certificate, College Transcripts, recent Performance Reviews and Verification of Wages. The interview was held at a nearby hotel conference room. There were about 30 people all interviewing for different positions. They showed us a Powerpoint Presentation about the company and then held 1-on-1 interviews. I had two of these interviews; each one lasting about 30 minutes. Although they explicitly told us that they would let us know one way or another, I didnt hear anything back for over a month. Finally I emailed the HR contact. A few days after my email, I received a letter informing me that I was not chosen for the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a situation in which you had to work with someone on a project that you did not get along with.   Answer Question
  • If a user came to you with an issue they were having with a report that was not showing the data they expected, what would you do?   Answer Question

Entry Level Engineer Interview

Entry Level Engineer
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Bettis Laboratory in October 2011.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview with hiring manager, followed by an on site interview. On site interview (at a hotel, not at company location) included an overview of the company, then 2 separate 1:1 interviews with managers, followed by lunch. There were about 30-40 potential hires present interviewing for several different positions.

Interview Question – What do you know about Bettis?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Mechanical Engineer
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Bettis Laboratory in September 2011.

Interview Details – I first applied online through their website and had to wait about a month and a half before hearing back. They first wanted to do a phone screening before bringing candidates in for a face to face interview. Questions were typical interview questions such as, where did you go to school, when did you graduate, describe school projects ect. The phone interview took about a half hour. It took them between 2 and 3 weeks before calling selected candidates down to Pittsburgh for a face to face interview. However this interview was not conducted at Bettis, but at a Holiday Inn Express nearby the lab.

They brought in about 50 candidates interviewing for different positions at Bettis. The first group consisted of about 30 people, the next day, an additional 15 who were not scheduled for the first day came in. Candidates were given an option to come in Tuesday and spend the night at the Holiday Inn Express before the interview on Wednesday (Hotel room paid for by Bettis). The interview process began at 7:45 Wednesday morning. Everyone was given a presentation about the company and a personal schedule on who you were to meet with. Before interviewing with recruiters, fingerprints were taken as well as other information.

I interviewed with 2 recruiters separately, each for 1 hour. The recruiters had their own hotel room to do the interviews in, so we had to go to different rooms depending on what job we were there for. Half of the 1:1 interview time consisted of the recruiter explaining more information about the company and what work they did at Bettis. Interview questions were pretty easy like the phone interview. Some examples were, are you willing to relocate, describe your school projects, do you work well in teams, ect. After the interviews were finished, everyone was invited to lunch at the hotel. The whole event lasted until 12:45. Those who did not want to stay for lunch were able to leave at 11:45.

Overall the event was well organized and everyone stayed on schedule. It was a good experience and the hotel interview event was a good idea.

Interview Question – When working on school projects, did you have defined roles and a team leader?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Bettis Laboratory

Worked for Bettis Laboratory? Contribute to the Community!