BevMo Interview Questions

Updated Aug 13, 2015

1.8

Grocery Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bremerton, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at BevMo (Bremerton, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview and hiring proses was via e-mail. There were no 1:1 interviews with the company. The whole proses was all by internet. The company relied upon the e-mail and internet proses.

Interview Questions

• had I worked for the company before   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BevMo in January 2015.

Interview

I applied and the process took about 2 weeks. Received a call and was asked to schedule an interview whenever it was convenient for me. When I came in to the store. The manager just had finished another interview prior to me. He introduced himself and told me to hang back. The interview process was quite simple. He seemed very pleased with my prior experience in retail. He asked me 2-3 simple questions regarding customer service/ Retail scenarios. He asked me if I could meet the requirements of the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when had to present yourself to someone of great importance at work. Who was it and what did you do?   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ventura, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BevMo (Ventura, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

They ask you to pick a product to sell during interview. The interview was conducted in the back of the store with the manager and 4 other job seekers. Very casual enviornment. you are ask about yourself. What is a good and bad customer experience? Then you are asked to talk about the product you pick out.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about BevMo?   1 Answer

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BevMo (Sunnyvale, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

It was brief and to the point! I was surprised that the hiring manager had actually read my resume in its entirety, especially since I was interviewing for just a seasonal position. I was hired on the spot, which was nice. The manager talked quite a bit and made me feel comfortable.

Interview Questions

• Between beer, wine, and spirits which do I like to drink most?   Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BevMo (San Francisco, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

The questions were more straight forward. Asking me how I am as a person, what I like to do as a guy. Do I like the local sports teams, do I like going out, and importantly how is my personality. Being a small guy the store Manager didn't think I would move anything, to his surprise I am developing physically and he is starting to trust me in other roles after he hiring me. Also there was a drug test after he has gotten the approval of all his managers.

Interview Questions

• What is your background? Is it worth me hiring you? Do you have a fun personality? Can you talk people into wine?   Answer Question

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at BevMo in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online and went in a few days later to meet the store manager. I introduced myself and gave him my resume; he scheduled me an interview on the spot for the next day. On the interview, we walked outside of the store to a couple of tables across the parking lot. He asked me questions about my previous work experience and availability. The questions weren't too hard, he just appreciated detailed answers. I was asked to meet with the hiring manager immediately after the interview. When I met her, she just explained the store duties and gave me a drug screening paper. I took the drug test, but it was sent to the wrong Bevmo. I had to keep calling back and got things straightened out. It took me 3 weeks to get hired after the process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you delivered excellent customer service?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. He told me I would be paid $9.00 an hour, and if I stayed on past seasonal, it would bump up to $10 an hour.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BevMo in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online after I saw a job ad on Craigslist. Heard nothing for a few weeks, then received an email inviting me to a group interview. I think this was a mass email to everyone who had applied recently. There were two appointments for the interviews, a Tuesday and a Thursday the following week, and the store manager said he would reply to confirm the date I picked. I picked Tuesday and emailed back immediately. He didn't reply until several days later, on the morning of the interview. I showed up about 15 minutes early. The store manager came out and told us to grab a bottle of alcohol, any kind we'd like, because we were to do a sales pitch. The interview started and there were three other candidates. There was just one interviewer, the store manager. He seemed like a really nice, chill guy. The interview turned out to be really fun (for an interview) and laid back, not too intimidating for a group interview. He would ask each question to the group as a whole, so whoever wanted to share first could take the initiative, then everyone else would take turns answering. The questions were the standard "tell me about yourself", why do you want to work here, share examples of good & bad customer service you've had at other stores, etc. Nothing personal that would be uncomfortable to share in a group setting (e.g. "why did you leave [x] job" or "explain this gap in employment"), so that was tactful of him. Then we did our sales pitches and everyone seemed to do well on that. Then he shared more about BevMo and the job responsibilities, let us ask questions, then told us when he'd let everyone know the hiring decision (end of that week). He said they were looking to fill 5-7 positions. Whole interview took about 45 minutes. I sent a thank you email two days later, on that Thursday. The stated "decision day" came and went and I never heard anything again. A few weeks later I logged on to the job application site and saw that my application had been marked "closed" at some point, I guess meaning that all the needed positions were filled. I was really surprised as I thought I did everything right! I have a few years of relevant experience and my answers were pretty well prepared, I thought. I answered first sometimes but not all the time, I played off of other people's answers, and the interviewer really seemed to like & engage with some of my answers. I honestly thought I was a stronger interviewee than at least one or two out of the three other interviewees. Maybe 20 people showed up to the second group interview and there were just more stronger candidates out of the total pool. I'll never know, I suppose. This is really common with chains, but I think it's very rude that they can't take a few minutes to send a form rejection email to everyone who interviewed and didn't make the cut. Especially after I sent the thank you note and everything. Honestly baffled as to what I did wrong, why they thought I wasn't a good candidate. Maybe I shouldn't be so frustrated as it's just a retail job, but I think this is a better gig than most -- it seems fun and learning more about beer & wine would be interesting and a socially useful skill. (As an aside, it seems tricky to communicate "I like & am interested in alcohol" [to show why you're interested in this company specifically] without sounding like an alcoholic, lol!)

Interview Questions

• Share an example of good/bad customer service you've had at another store recently.   1 Answer
    • Pick a bottle of alcohol you like and do a sales pitch to the interviewer.   1 Answer
    • Is it sometimes OK to break the rules?   1 Answer

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mira Loma, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BevMo (Mira Loma, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

quick, fun, easy, informative, descriptive, asked a few questions, got hired on the spot, the manager made me feel at ease and cool with the interview process. I was a little nervous but it didnt matter at the end

Director Interview

Interview

Had a pretty good conversation with the recruiter. Was told needed to wait until new vp started ton present candidates. Found it odd that over a period of waiting 2 months for someone to start and recruiter contacting me via email almost weekly that all of a sudden I was sent a rejection email. Why would they go through a screening process, ask if relocation assistance was needed, and ask if a bonus was needed before the hiring manager had a chance to start if they didn't know what the person was looking for? Also found it odd to be asked about relocation and bonus as part of a screening.

Anonymous Employee in Gilroy, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at BevMo (Gilroy, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

Questions are your very generic interview questions. Knowing a moderate amount for something about a certain type of alcohol may help. If you can prepare beforehand about basic questions you will do right.