BevMo

Updated Dec 4, 2014
Updated Dec 4, 2014

1.9

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at BevMo in June 2011.

I applied online which consisted of a bunch of what type of person would you describe yourself as questions, if you where in this scenario what would you do questions, stuff like that. About a week or so later was called back about a one on one. The one on one was fairly straight forward. no oddball questions.

none

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at BevMo in August 2010.

Was contacted via phone notifying me of in-store interview. Arrived and interview was held in breakroom. Employer had application papers that I had filled out online on hand. Went over previous employer experience and details. If you have any experience in the industry, it definitely stands out as it did in my case. Mentioned flexibility which I also strongly believed helped me in the hiring process.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a customer that was attempting to steal items?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mira Mesa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mira Mesa, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at BevMo in January 2013.

They asked standard questions. Very straight forward.They ask about past experiences and how you settled them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through other source – interviewed at BevMo in February 2013.

It was fine.

No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Centro, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Centro, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BevMo in October 2013.

Only one interview, they ask specific questions about the products we sell. We talked a little about my background. We discussed how my experience in the restaurant and hospitality industry would translate into this job. He asked what my sales experience was, and what my long term goals were.

Interview Questions
    They have a set starting rate and a review after 6 months.

Head Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northridge, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northridge, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at BevMo in March 2013.

The interview was fairly relaxed and easy. I was asked for my favorite drink, how I would deal with associates or customers, how I would upsell, why I would be good for the position. All the standard questions.

Interview Questions
    I was offered the position and given the details and had an opportunity to negotiate, however, options were good and took the position without further negotiations.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Murrieta, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Murrieta, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at BevMo in April 2013.

It was very awkward interview. The head cashier brought in five of us into a room and interviewed is all the same time. He would go from one person to the next person asking the same question over and over. The questions that he asked were not relevant to the position that we were applying for some of the information was personal and was awkward to share with the group.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember the specific question but there were several personal questions asked it's inappropriate   Answer Question
    It was no negotiation they hired minimum-wage.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BevMo in September 2014.

I applied online after I saw a job ad on Craigslist. Heard nothing for a few weeks, then received an email inviting me to a group interview. I think this was a mass email to everyone who had applied recently. There were two appointments for the interviews, a Tuesday and a Thursday the following week, and the store manager said he would reply to confirm the date I picked. I picked Tuesday and emailed back immediately. He didn't reply until several days later, on the morning of the interview.

I showed up about 15 minutes early. The store manager came out and told us to grab a bottle of alcohol, any kind we'd like, because we were to do a sales pitch. The interview started and there were three other candidates. There was just one interviewer, the store manager. He seemed like a really nice, chill guy. The interview turned out to be really fun (for an interview) and laid back, not too intimidating for a group interview. He would ask each question to the group as a whole, so whoever wanted to share first could take the initiative, then everyone else would take turns answering.

The questions were the standard "tell me about yourself", why do you want to work here, share examples of good & bad customer service you've had at other stores, etc. Nothing personal that would be uncomfortable to share in a group setting (e.g. "why did you leave [x] job" or "explain this gap in employment"), so that was tactful of him. Then we did our sales pitches and everyone seemed to do well on that. Then he shared more about BevMo and the job responsibilities, let us ask questions, then told us when he'd let everyone know the hiring decision (end of that week). He said they were looking to fill 5-7 positions. Whole interview took about 45 minutes.

I sent a thank you email two days later, on that Thursday. The stated "decision day" came and went and I never heard anything again. A few weeks later I logged on to the job application site and saw that my application had been marked "closed" at some point, I guess meaning that all the needed positions were filled. I was really surprised as I thought I did everything right! I have a few years of relevant experience and my answers were pretty well prepared, I thought. I answered first sometimes but not all the time, I played off of other people's answers, and the interviewer really seemed to like & engage with some of my answers. I honestly thought I was a stronger interviewee than at least one or two out of the three other interviewees. Maybe 20 people showed up to the second group interview and there were just more stronger candidates out of the total pool. I'll never know, I suppose.

This is really common with chains, but I think it's very rude that they can't take a few minutes to send a form rejection email to everyone who interviewed and didn't make the cut. Especially after I sent the thank you note and everything. Honestly baffled as to what I did wrong, why they thought I wasn't a good candidate. Maybe I shouldn't be so frustrated as it's just a retail job, but I think this is a better gig than most -- it seems fun and learning more about beer & wine would be interesting and a socially useful skill. (As an aside, it seems tricky to communicate "I like & am interested in alcohol" [to show why you're interested in this company specifically] without sounding like an alcoholic, lol!)

Interview Questions
    • Share an example of good/bad customer service you've had at another store recently.   View Answer
    • Pick a bottle of alcohol you like and do a sales pitch to the interviewer.   View Answer
    • Is it sometimes OK to break the rules?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laguna Niguel, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laguna Niguel, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at BevMo in September 2010.

Walk in-- then was called in for an interview

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ventura, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ventura, CA

I applied online – interviewed at BevMo in December 2014.

They ask you to pick a product to sell during interview. The interview was conducted in the back of the store with the manager and 4 other job seekers. Very casual enviornment. you are ask about yourself. What is a good and bad customer experience? Then you are asked to talk about the product you pick out.