BevMo Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015

1.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gilroy, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at BevMo (Gilroy, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

Questions are your very generic interview questions. Knowing a moderate amount for something about a certain type of alcohol may help. If you can prepare beforehand about basic questions you will do right.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BevMo (San Francisco, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

The questions were more straight forward. Asking me how I am as a person, what I like to do as a guy. Do I like the local sports teams, do I like going out, and importantly how is my personality. Being a small guy the store Manager didn't think I would move anything, to his surprise I am developing physically and he is starting to trust me in other roles after he hiring me. Also there was a drug test after he has gotten the approval of all his managers.

Interview Questions

• What is your background? Is it worth me hiring you? Do you have a fun personality? Can you talk people into wine?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BevMo in January 2015.

Interview

I applied and the process took about 2 weeks.
    Received a call and was asked to schedule an interview whenever it was convenient for me. When I came in to the store. The manager just had finished another interview prior to me. He introduced himself and told me to hang back. The interview process was quite simple. He seemed very pleased with my prior experience in retail. He asked me 2-3 simple questions regarding customer service/ Retail scenarios. He asked me if I could meet the requirements of the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when had to present yourself to someone of great importance at work. Who was it and what did you do?   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BevMo in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online and went in a few days later to meet the store manager. I introduced myself and gave him my resume; he scheduled me an interview on the spot for the next day. On the interview, we walked outside of the store to a couple of tables across the parking lot. He asked me questions about my previous work experience and availability. The questions weren't too hard, he just appreciated detailed answers. I was asked to meet with the hiring manager immediately after the interview. When I met her, she just explained the store duties and gave me a drug screening paper. I took the drug test, but it was sent to the wrong Bevmo. I had to keep calling back and got things straightened out. It took me 3 weeks to get hired after the process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you delivered excellent customer service?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. He told me I would be paid $9.00 an hour, and if I stayed on past seasonal, it would bump up to $10 an hour.

Anonymous Employee in Ventura, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at BevMo (Ventura, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

They ask you to pick a product to sell during interview. The interview was conducted in the back of the store with the manager and 4 other job seekers. Very casual enviornment. you are ask about yourself. What is a good and bad customer experience? Then you are asked to talk about the product you pick out.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about BevMo?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at BevMo (Mountain View, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

I applied through their website during the Holiday season of 2012. I was called for an in store interview a couple days later. Upon arrival I was seated in a room with 2 employees and 4 other candidates. We were asked some basic service questions - how do you handle a difficult customer situation, how do you spend down time, what are your strengths / weaknesses, etc, all fairly simple stuff. After we all made our rounds, the two employees left the room, only to return very shortly after and hired all 5 of us on the spot. They were very much in need of workers during the holiday so landing this position was very straightforward - just have a good head on you and you'll be fine.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about alcohol.   1 Answer

Negotiation

A piece of advice after accepting the position would be to ask how many hours you were guaranteed. Some locations listed anywhere from 4 - 32 hours a week, and there would be a week every now and then where one of the seasonal employers would get 0 hours. Make sure you're very up front about this - no reason to take a position if the employer can't even find time for you to work.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BevMo in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online after I saw a job ad on Craigslist. Heard nothing for a few weeks, then received an email inviting me to a group interview. I think this was a mass email to everyone who had applied recently. There were two appointments for the interviews, a Tuesday and a Thursday the following week, and the store manager said he would reply to confirm the date I picked. I picked Tuesday and emailed back immediately. He didn't reply until several days later, on the morning of the interview.

I showed up about 15 minutes early. The store manager came out and told us to grab a bottle of alcohol, any kind we'd like, because we were to do a sales pitch. The interview started and there were three other candidates. There was just one interviewer, the store manager. He seemed like a really nice, chill guy. The interview turned out to be really fun (for an interview) and laid back, not too intimidating for a group interview. He would ask each question to the group as a whole, so whoever wanted to share first could take the initiative, then everyone else would take turns answering.

The questions were the standard "tell me about yourself", why do you want to work here, share examples of good & bad customer service you've had at other stores, etc. Nothing personal that would be uncomfortable to share in a group setting (e.g. "why did you leave [x] job" or "explain this gap in employment"), so that was tactful of him. Then we did our sales pitches and everyone seemed to do well on that. Then he shared more about BevMo and the job responsibilities, let us ask questions, then told us when he'd let everyone know the hiring decision (end of that week). He said they were looking to fill 5-7 positions. Whole interview took about 45 minutes.

I sent a thank you email two days later, on that Thursday. The stated "decision day" came and went and I never heard anything again. A few weeks later I logged on to the job application site and saw that my application had been marked "closed" at some point, I guess meaning that all the needed positions were filled. I was really surprised as I thought I did everything right! I have a few years of relevant experience and my answers were pretty well prepared, I thought. I answered first sometimes but not all the time, I played off of other people's answers, and the interviewer really seemed to like & engage with some of my answers. I honestly thought I was a stronger interviewee than at least one or two out of the three other interviewees. Maybe 20 people showed up to the second group interview and there were just more stronger candidates out of the total pool. I'll never know, I suppose.

This is really common with chains, but I think it's very rude that they can't take a few minutes to send a form rejection email to everyone who interviewed and didn't make the cut. Especially after I sent the thank you note and everything. Honestly baffled as to what I did wrong, why they thought I wasn't a good candidate. Maybe I shouldn't be so frustrated as it's just a retail job, but I think this is a better gig than most -- it seems fun and learning more about beer & wine would be interesting and a socially useful skill. (As an aside, it seems tricky to communicate "I like & am interested in alcohol" [to show why you're interested in this company specifically] without sounding like an alcoholic, lol!)

Interview Questions

• Share an example of good/bad customer service you've had at another store recently.   1 Answer
    • Pick a bottle of alcohol you like and do a sales pitch to the interviewer.   1 Answer
    • Is it sometimes OK to break the rules?   1 Answer

Director Interview

Interview

Had a pretty good conversation with the recruiter. Was told needed to wait until new vp started ton present candidates. Found it odd that over a period of waiting 2 months for someone to start and recruiter contacting me via email almost weekly that all of a sudden I was sent a rejection email.
    Why would they go through a screening process, ask if relocation assistance was needed, and ask if a bonus was needed before the hiring manager had a chance to start if they didn't know what the person was looking for? Also found it odd to be asked about relocation and bonus as part of a screening.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santee, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BevMo (Santee, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

I applied online and got called for an interview two weeks later. The manager did the interview standing at the front of the store. He asked about school as I am a student. He also asked about my availability. Depending on the location, they may hope you have knowledge of certain beverages over others. The online assessment is scenario-based questions and does not take too long. After the interview, I was asked to re-apply as a seasonal position. A bit sneaky of a move, but it was a good job for seasonal.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. They started me at $9.00 which was a dollar above CA minimum wage and the pay everyone at that store got at first.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Murrieta, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at BevMo (Murrieta, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

It was very awkward interview. The head cashier brought in five of us into a room and interviewed is all the same time. He would go from one person to the next person asking the same question over and over. The questions that he asked were not relevant to the position that we were applying for some of the information was personal and was awkward to share with the group.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember the specific question but there were several personal questions asked it's inappropriate   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was no negotiation they hired minimum-wage.