Big 5 Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

1.8

Manager Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Big 5.

Interview

Very, very basic interview. An assistant manager called me a few weeks after I applied online to set up an interview. The interview was held in the store's very small office while sitting on old computer chairs.The manager basically read my resume back to me and asked me how each of my previous jobs and education would help with situations at Big 5.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a time where you turned something negative into a positive?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Big 5.

Interview

Back then, you had to go in person and pick up an application. Now everything is done online. They call you back within a few days and make a date and time to go interview.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have working with sporting goods?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Big 5 in July 2015.

Interview

Applied online, got a call about two weeks later to come in for an interview. Very friendly manager. Asked about my work experience, sports experience and if I'd be able to handle the job. Knew I didn't get the job when he mentioned they were still interviewing other candidates. Nice guy, though.

Interview Questions

• Would you be able to work in an environment that requires a lot of multi-tasking?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Big 5 (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

The interview process was more of a personality/compatibility test in lieu of business knowledge and experience. Fairly straight forward questions, which focused more on your learning aptitude and your will to learn rather than your knowledge.

Interview Questions

• Basic customer service questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Big 5 (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Very simple met with the store manager which went really easy. Then met with the regional vice president for the area. Talked about the sports I played and how that would help me if I got the job. I was told to be myself which helped as it made me be calm and be myself.

Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chico, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Big 5 (Chico, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied a few months ago when they weren't hiring, but received a call last week that they were hiring and wanted to schedule an interview. Came in, manager was super friendly and it was very conversational. Asked why I want to work at big 5, my strengths, weaknesses, and my availability. Was offered a job on the spot. Very easy interview not nerve racking at all.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths?   1 Answer
    • What are your weaknesses?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work for big 5?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Big 5 in April 2015.

Interview

It was a very easy interview. The manager went over my resume and asked me a few general interview questions. Then the manager talked about what the Sales Associate's responsibilities are. The Interview lasted about 20 minutes. I was supposed to get a call in a week if I got the job or not. I never got a call.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? What sports do you play or did you play? What sports are you most knowledgeable on? Do you have any experience with firearms?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Big 5.

Interview

I showed up dressed up, which is already the uniform for Big 5. The manager was impressed by that and that already proved that I had the close to wear for the job. We went over my resume and was asked a few specific questions about some information on it. followed by a few other questions. I was pretty much hired on the spot but I didn't start working for several weeks.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my work history since I had a job that was for a long period of time and the others were shorter. The manager inquired about why that was, in concern of my dependability.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pico Rivera, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Big 5 (Pico Rivera, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Easy general questions the interview went great and was told I would get a call in 4 days but that call never came. Manager was clear to tell me they could only offer me a few hours and that the pay was minimum wage. Was pretty simple the manager was nice the assistant manager was also in the room. Questions where irrelevant at times but overall a good interview he ran out of questions to ask me.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for us? What's your availability?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Big 5.

Interview

I had one interview. You fill out a short math exam that tests your basic math skills, and then speak to one or two managers. They didn't ask any real interview questions, just some general stuff about you availability, interests, etc.