Big 5

Updated Jan 12, 2015
Updated Jan 12, 2015

1.9

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Big 5.

I had one interview. You fill out a short math exam that tests your basic math skills, and then speak to one or two managers. They didn't ask any real interview questions, just some general stuff about you availability, interests, etc.

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Big 5 in December 2014.

I applied online and a manager called me back about three days later for the first interview. Pretty informal. He only asked a couple questions. Most of the interview was going over my application, previous work history, etc. The next day they called for back for a second interview, which I had a week later with the district supervisor. After about ten to fifteen minutes, she offered me the job. They were both very easy and I knew I was going to get the job after the first one.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Big 5? What sports did you play? What is your greatest strength?   Answer Question
    Like others have stated, there's no negotiation for salaries.

Part-Time Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Big 5 in October 2014.

Manager was really nice, though he told me that he needed to interview the others before he can give me a real offer, so I still don't know if I got the job or not.

Interview Questions
    • Not a lot of difficult questions, only if I played any sports. Of course, I lied and said that I did.   Answer Question

Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Cajon, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Cajon, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Big 5.

Applied online. Took about 3 days to hear back. Went down to the Big 5 store they wanted me for. Waited for half an hour for the manager to start the interview. Guy didn't even tell me why I had to wait or even apologize. Easy questions. Offered the job at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • " What sports are you playing now in college"   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and had a friend who worked there put in a good word for me. I got a call in 2 days, and was scheduled for an interview later that day. The environment was relaxed, but still professional.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to solve a list of simple math problems in a time limit.   Answer Question
    • Have you been convicted of any felonies or firearm-related crimes? (We sell guns.)   Answer Question
    • Describe your past experience and why you would be good at this job.   Answer Question
    • What sports are you familiar with, enough to sell people correct products for their needs?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Porterville, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Porterville, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Big 5 in July 2014.

I went in one day to talk to the hiring manager he told me to apply online which i did. Next day took him my resume 3-5 days later i get called to serup a interview. The interview was fairly easy he wanted to learn more about my life like sports ive done and asked only a few questions about the job

Interview Questions
    I will not disappoint you hiring me . He seemed surprised so i knew other people werent saying that . To the hiring manager it shows you are ready to work and gives them an idea that you are serious about the job

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Henderson, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Henderson, NV

I applied online – interviewed at Big 5 in March 2014.

Filled out application on-line, was called soon after for an interview. The manager seemed distracted and avoided eye-contact, was a very odd interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult, interview was more about the manager than me.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Big 5.

very easy interview and required math test that was basic addition/subtraction/multiplication/division

no negotiation

Manager Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawton, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawton, OK

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Big 5 in February 2014.

I was applying for a full time position when I finished my interveiw I was informed it was only part time. I was also started as a cashier not manager trainee like I had applied for.

Interview Questions
    • How long do I plan to stay with the company for?   View Answer
    Not so much on negotiations

Store Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Big 5.

I was never contacted by the employer although I had each of the qualifications requested. I applied for this position a couple times of similar years.