Big 5 Manager Trainee Interview Questions

Updated Aug 15, 2015

1.8

Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Big 5 (Walnut Creek, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online for manager trainee positions in both Washington and California, while living in Washington (I needed a job in WA, but wanted to relocate back to CA). I got a call a couple weeks later from a manager in Walnut Creek, CA. She said she really liked my resume and the phone conversation went well, so I felt it was fine to take a leap and drive 760 miles for this interview. I had a good feeling about it so I went for it. After the interview the manager said she would get back to me 3-4 days later. Instead I got a call a few hours after the interview to let me know I got the position. After that I had to pick up an I-9 and employee handbook from the store I'd be working at, fill out some other forms online, and wait another week or so after the background check was finished so I could get notified of my start date.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths? What are your weaknesses? Why do you want to work for Big 5? How would you handle tough situations? If there was multiple tasks to complete and you were under pressure, how would you handle it? What would you do differently than other candidates if you got hired? What does customer service mean to you?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Big 5

Manager Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Big 5.

Interview

Very, very basic interview. An assistant manager called me a few weeks after I applied online to set up an interview. The interview was held in the store's very small office while sitting on old computer chairs.The manager basically read my resume back to me and asked me how each of my previous jobs and education would help with situations at Big 5.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a time where you turned something negative into a positive?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Big 5 (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

The interview process was more of a personality/compatibility test in lieu of business knowledge and experience. Fairly straight forward questions, which focused more on your learning aptitude and your will to learn rather than your knowledge.

Interview Questions

• Basic customer service questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Big 5 (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Very simple met with the store manager which went really easy. Then met with the regional vice president for the area. Talked about the sports I played and how that would help me if I got the job. I was told to be myself which helped as it made me be calm and be myself.

Anonymous Employee in San Lorenzo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Big 5 (San Lorenzo, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Questions asked about retail experience, sporting goods sales experience. The interview was very easy and included background information about the company and its history. Some of the key things mentioned were how the company consistently was in the black with regards to profitability. Future prospects for the company doing well is assured, albeit at the expense of employees who are paid very low retail wages.

Anonymous Employee in Lawton, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Big 5 (Lawton, OK) in February 2014.

Interview

I was applying for a full time position when I finished my interveiw I was informed it was only part time. I was also started as a cashier not manager trainee like I had applied for.

Interview Questions

• How long do I plan to stay with the company for?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not so much on negotiations

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McMinnville, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Big 5 (McMinnville, OR) in September 2013.

Interview

Easy, no questions asked

Manager Trainee Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Big 5.

Interview

Typical interview. I was asked about my previous experience, strengths, weaknesses. I was asked about why I wanted to work for Big 5. I was asked about sporting experience and interests. They asked about references, and checked in on my previous employers. They also took a very long time processing a very large amount of paperwork required for hire. I wasn't sure why it took so long for my hire paperwork to be complete until I worked with managers later on. They really don't understand what exactly is required. More manager hiring training is essential. Absolutely no salary negotiation was even considered. It was take it or leave it.

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to shave your soul patch? I've always been clean-shaven, but with a soul patch, or goatee, or sideburns. I later worked with people who were allowed to have tattoos showing and nose piercing and gauged ears, but my facial hair was an absolute condition to being hired. Didn't expect that at all.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Absolutely no negotiation. When I brought up other salary options I was told take it or leave it.

Anonymous Employee in Tracy, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Big 5 (Tracy, CA) in September 2012.

Interview

Get a Bachelor's then go in a store and ask for an application for the manager trainee position. Fill it out then they will give you a simple math test and I mean simple. After a couple of weeks you get a call to interview and if all goes well they should offer you the job right there and then since they don't do a drug test for the hiring process.

Negotiation

There is no negotiation on this position. The pay is set by zones so it just depends on where you live.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Big 5 (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

No problems with initial Interview process. Told I was being referred to district manager for 2nd interview. called several times to find out when 2nd interview will occur with no results. Spoke directly with district manager after several phone calls and was told I would receive a call back and have not received call back. Still waiting for a 2nd interview after nearly 2 months ! Extremely disappointed about being strung along !