Big 5

1.9

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McMinnville, OR
Anonymous Interview Candidate in McMinnville, OR

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Big 5 in September 2013.

Easy, no questions asked

Other Interview Reviews for Big 5

Manager Trainee Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Big 5.

Typical interview. I was asked about my previous experience, strengths, weaknesses. I was asked about why I wanted to work for Big 5. I was asked about sporting experience and interests. They asked about references, and checked in on my previous employers. They also took a very long time processing a very large amount of paperwork required for hire. I wasn't sure why it took so long for my hire paperwork to be complete until I worked with managers later on. They really don't understand what exactly is required. More manager hiring training is essential. Absolutely no salary negotiation was even considered. It was take it or leave it.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be willing to shave your soul patch? I've always been clean-shaven, but with a soul patch, or goatee, or sideburns. I later worked with people who were allowed to have tattoos showing and nose piercing and gauged ears, but my facial hair was an absolute condition to being hired. Didn't expect that at all.   View Answer
    Absolutely no negotiation. When I brought up other salary options I was told take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tracy, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tracy, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Big 5 in September 2012.

Get a Bachelor's then go in a store and ask for an application for the manager trainee position. Fill it out then they will give you a simple math test and I mean simple. After a couple of weeks you get a call to interview and if all goes well they should offer you the job right there and then since they don't do a drug test for the hiring process.

There is no negotiation on this position. The pay is set by zones so it just depends on where you live.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Big 5 in March 2012.

No problems with initial Interview process. Told I was being referred to district manager for 2nd interview. called several times to find out when 2nd interview will occur with no results. Spoke directly with district manager after several phone calls and was told I would receive a call back and have not received call back. Still waiting for a 2nd interview after nearly 2 months ! Extremely disappointed about being strung along !

Manager Trainee Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Big 5 in March 2012.

talk to the store manager. let him/her know you are applying for a manager trainee position. the next interview will be with the distric manager. the interview will last 10 to 15 min. you'll have your basic questions. Why do you want to woek for big 5 ect.

Manager Trainee Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Big 5 in March 2012.

I applied in person and was offered an interview several days later where I met with the district supervisor. He offered me the position after about 30 minutes or so. After that there is an in depth backround check where they check your criminal record, education, and former jobs. Do not lie on your application as they will find out. No credit check, though.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Tell me about your customer service experience.   View Answer
    No negotiation. They make an offer and you can take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Big 5 in June 2011.

The process was very slow. Receiving the job offer was the same day I interviewed, but between that day and my start date took nearly a month. They interview you right on the spot when you walk in. And if the district manager is there he may offer the job to you right on the spot if he likes you. That's what happened for me.

Interview Questions
    I didn't even think of negotiating. However I should have. I had further education than the store manager himself.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Big 5 in July 2010.

It was simple. Just spoke to HR, simple questions on work history and took a math test.

Manager Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Big 5.

The interview had to parts. Part one involved meeting with a screening manager. Here is where we got an overview of the company as well as the job description and benefits. After this debriefing we were given a chance to talk about ourselves. If we made the cut we where given a second interview date where the initial hiring would begin.

Interview Questions
    • Once we were seen as possible candidates we where given a sheet of paper and told to write a short essay (2 paragraphs) on why we chose the company and what we had to offer them   Answer Question

Manager Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Big 5 in October 2012.

Very short interview process. Sit down with District manager to discuss company goals and job expectations. Quick discussion of past work experience and future goals. Hiring was simple, had to get the correct paperwork together before I could start. Time between first interview and first day was roughly 10 days.

n/a