Big Brothers Big Sisters of America

Updated Mar 2, 2015
Updated Mar 2, 2015

2.8

Match Support Specialist, Spanish-Speaking Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America.

I was contacted by the Coordinator of Office Administration for a 20min phone screen and was asked about the organization, my relevant experience, and reasons for interest in the organization. After the phone screen, I was emailed and asked to attend an in-person interview the next week. In the in-person interview, I met with two members of the staff team that directly oversaw and worked with the position I applied for, the Manager of Match Support and Coordinator of Match Support. It was a lengthy interview, lasting about an hour and fifteen minutes where the two interviewers took turns asking questions and answering questions that I had. Next I completed a Spanish phone screen, which was brief with about 5 questions total. After the Spanish phone screen, I was invited back to interview with the VP of Programs and the Manager of Enrollment and Matching. When I arrived for the second interview, I only met with the VP of Programs. It was a very basic interview lasting only 20min (which included the time I took to ask questions also). It seemed that VP of Programs had not communicated with my first interviewers, which gave me a sense that the process was a bit disorganized and not cohesive. Once that was over, I completed a short writing assessment where I wrote 2 sample email responses to Big and Little Sisters.

After the entire interviewing process, I was never contacted again by the organization. I understand that the position is still open, however after 2 phone interviews and 2 in-person interviews I at least expected to be informed that I was not the fit they were looking for. I was very surprised not to hear anything from the organization after the in-depth interview process.

Overall, it seems a great organization that seems to lack efficient communication.

Interview Questions
    • How comfortable do you feel forming relationships with families and facilitating Big and Little Sister introductions in the home of the Little Sister?   Answer Question

Director of Community Affairs Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America.

Great phone interview. Came in for the in-person meeting and the HR person was great. One of the senior managers; however, strongly suggested that I was too old for the position (being in my 40s), though I was completely qualified.

Interview Questions
    • It was unexpected to feel that the interviewer thought -- quite openly -- that I was too old. Especially at a not-for-profit.   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America.

The interview process was not difficult. There were a few basic questions that were asked about my background and past employment and why I was interested in the position.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult questions were specific questions or details about previous employment that was asked that was required to be answered in details according to how I handled certain situations.   Answer Question
    No negotiation or salary

Match Support Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America.

I had a phone interview first that was only about fifteen minutes long. I was called in for an in-person interview the following day. We chatted for about thirty minutes. Atmosphere was casual but professional.

Interview Questions
    • What would you tell a parent if they asked you for help finding food assistance?   Answer Question
    There was not a negotiation.

Program Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America.

I was brought in for a first and second round interview. On the second interview I was brought around to HR, the executive director, and submitted a background check form. Only took a few days after my second interview to hear back about the position.

Interview Questions
    I was unable to negotiate.

Coordinator Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America.

I had three interviews, met with several different people in the company. Also had an extensive 2 hour long phone interview. The Human Resources process was very slow, and the company never took the time, after all of mine was invested, to reach out to me personally about not getting the job.

Enrollment Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America in July 2014.

I forwarded my resume via email and received an email the next day requesting a phone interview. After the phone interview then your resume is forwarded to the hiring manager. The hiring manager will schedule you for a second interview plus schedule you for a computer skills test along with a typing test.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions, just the basic questions.   View Answer

Mentor M≪ Anager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America.

Wasn't too bad, although initial interview took over 3 hours and interviewer did most of the talking. Second interview was brief. Decision was made in a decent period of time considering the norm.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember - most questions were pretty typical - like strengths and weaknesses.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiating.

Enrollment and Match Specialist Interview

I applied online and was contacted in a few days to set up a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 20 minutes and I was told more about the position and was asked to discuss experience, education, etc. From the phone interview, an in person interview was scheduled for the following week. I was interviewed by two individuals and the interview lasted about an hour.

Interview Questions
    • Think of a time when you adapted your communication style when dealing with someone who clearly had a different perspective than you. Tell me how you adapted the content of your message to ensure it was effectively received.   Answer Question

Enrollment and Match Specialist Interview

Initial telephone interview that took about 10 minutes. I was told more about the Job Description :the interview process for Bigs and family interviews for Littles, which might take 1 to 1 1/2 hour in the homes. Was asked about my previous experience in the field. Follow-up question was: would I be comfortable doing this? (My Answer :"Yes".)I was told there are forms, documentations to fill out afterwards. What were my computer skills like? (Average 30-35 wpm. I could brush up on Excel if needed.) Interview ended on "someone will be getting back to you in a week or sooner." I was emailed in 5 days that they were looking for someone with "more clinical experience in the field."