Big Brothers Big Sisters of America Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

2.7

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America.

Interview

Was contacted for a phone interview, the person interviewing went down a checklist of questions and never once asked about my skills but went on and on about why I wanted to work for the organization and what I thought the position included and what I expected about salary. At the end I felt really confused about what I was really applying for as the person on the phone never once really explained the position well. Interviews are suppose to be a two way street but she made it seem like it was just a one way street. HR didn't even bother to send me an email or any notice about not being offered the position which is highly unprofessional.

Match Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America (Boston, MA).

Interview

- 8 days after the job was posted, I submitted an application.
    - Received an email the next business day asking to schedule a phone screening 3 days later. The phone screening was very basic and was conducted by an HR office assistant. When I tried to ask non-surface level questions about the position, she told me that she was not a good source to ask and that she was not as knowledgeable about the role as my next round interviewers (direct supervisors) would be. I hung up from the half hour screening feeling unsure if the role was a good fit.
    - Was contacted 2 business days after phone screening asking me to come into the office for an in-person interview in 3 business days. I was still feeling unsure about the role, so I called my next interviewer (her name was given to me) to ask some clarifying questions; I left her a voice mail and a follow-up email. She replied to my email saying that she would not be calling me and that I should come to the interview to learn more about the position. It's possible that they didn't want to show any favoritism to prospective applicants, but all I asked for was a <5 minute phone conversation to avoid wasting an hour's time in the future. I decided not to go in for the second-round interview because the role did not seem like a good fit. I cannot say I felt valued by HR based off of my brief interactions with them.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America (New York, NY).

Interview

Online posting, in-person interview, and written application upon interview. When I got there, I filled out a physical application and was also given a scenario to write a written response for. The interview questions were pretty standard and they went through them pretty fast. The job was actually more case management than program management and they talked through all of that. I asked questions at the end.

Interview Questions

• How to handle certain situations between mentors and mentees.   Answer Question

Match Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America (Knoxville, TN) in May 2015.

Interview

I emailed to ask if any positions were available & was able to apply for this. Within the week I had an email asking for a phone interview. After the first phone interview I had an in-office group interview. It was me, 3 staff members, the V.P. of Programs & (supposed to be) the CEO. The CEO had to travel last minute so his portion of the interview was over the phone.
    I was asked about my experience with youth in counseling/mentoring; why I'd be a good candidate and why I wanted to work specifically for them.

Interview Questions

• I was given a "phone script" & had to answer questions on what was good/bad about the mentoring situation. Things included were parent involvement; child's development; age appropriate activities; the mentor's response to the mentee.   Answer Question
    • Why I'm a good candidate over all the other applicants.   Answer Question
    • Why did I want to work with this particular company?   1 Answer

Associate Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

The group interview felt very natural and relaxed. The wait time was a bit ridiculous, especially given the amount of empty desks the office has. They make you fill out a paper application and then provide two sample emails so you write case notes.

Program Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America.

Interview

Application was generic and done online. Interview done as a weed out process group information meeting. They give an overview of the program and then give a scenario for you to work with a small group to come up with solutions. Give you a chance to ask questions and explain the next step to you. When called in for the next interview they give you the paperwork for the background check to fill out while you wait. They are in depth with questioning that is specific to the position; leadership style and team work. Very friendly overall a great process; waiting to see if I got the job.

Interview Questions

• Do you work better in a group or individually?   1 Answer

Associate Manager of Workplace Mentoring Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I submitted my resume and cover letter online and got a call for a phone interview not too long after. I scheduled an in person interview with the Associate Director and Director of the program. I am currently waiting for an response in regards to an offer. It has been a 4 days since the interview. Since I have not heard back yet I selected "Yes and accepted" to be optimistic since I cannot submit this and leave that section blank

Interview Questions

• Basic interview questions (strengths/weaknesses) and questions regarding facilitation situations   Answer Question

Enrollment/Match Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Bend, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America (West Bend, WI).

Interview

I first had a phone interview with Big Brothers Big Sisters of America. At the end of the phone interview, I was asked to come in for a one on one interview with the director the following week. I was told that the company had narrowed it down to myself and one other person. They me asked back for a 2nd interview with potential peers. I heard from them by the end of the week. The interview went smoothly and quickly. I have no complaints. Everyone was very pleasant.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America.

Interview

I was contacted by the Coordinator of Office Administration for a 20min phone screen and was asked about the organization, my relevant experience, and reasons for interest in the organization. After the phone screen, I was emailed and asked to attend an in-person interview the next week. In the in-person interview, I met with two members of the staff team that directly oversaw and worked with the position I applied for, the Manager of Match Support and Coordinator of Match Support. It was a lengthy interview, lasting about an hour and fifteen minutes where the two interviewers took turns asking questions and answering questions that I had. Next I completed a Spanish phone screen, which was brief with about 5 questions total. After the Spanish phone screen, I was invited back to interview with the VP of Programs and the Manager of Enrollment and Matching. When I arrived for the second interview, I only met with the VP of Programs. It was a very basic interview lasting only 20min (which included the time I took to ask questions also). It seemed that VP of Programs had not communicated with my first interviewers, which gave me a sense that the process was a bit disorganized and not cohesive. Once that was over, I completed a short writing assessment where I wrote 2 sample email responses to Big and Little Sisters.

After the entire interviewing process, I was never contacted again by the organization. I understand that the position is still open, however after 2 phone interviews and 2 in-person interviews I at least expected to be informed that I was not the fit they were looking for. I was very surprised not to hear anything from the organization after the in-depth interview process.

Overall, it seems a great organization that seems to lack efficient communication.

Interview Questions

• How comfortable do you feel forming relationships with families and facilitating Big and Little Sister introductions in the home of the Little Sister?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America.

Interview

Great phone interview. Came in for the in-person meeting and the HR person was great. One of the senior managers; however, strongly suggested that I was too old for the position (being in my 40s), though I was completely qualified.

Interview Questions

• It was unexpected to feel that the interviewer thought -- quite openly -- that I was too old. Especially at a not-for-profit.   1 Answer