Big Brothers Big Sisters of America Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015

2.8

Program Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America.

Interview

Application was generic and done online. Interview done as a weed out process group information meeting. They give an overview of the program and then give a scenario for you to work with a small group to come up with solutions. Give you a chance to ask questions and explain the next step to you. When called in for the next interview they give you the paperwork for the background check to fill out while you wait. They are in depth with questioning that is specific to the position; leadership style and team work. Very friendly overall a great process; waiting to see if I got the job.

Interview Questions

• Do you work better in a group or individually?   1 Answer

Enrollment/Match Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Bend, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America (West Bend, WI).

Interview

I first had a phone interview with Big Brothers Big Sisters of America. At the end of the phone interview, I was asked to come in for a one on one interview with the director the following week. I was told that the company had narrowed it down to myself and one other person. They me asked back for a 2nd interview with potential peers. I heard from them by the end of the week. The interview went smoothly and quickly. I have no complaints. Everyone was very pleasant.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America.

Interview

I was contacted by the Coordinator of Office Administration for a 20min phone screen and was asked about the organization, my relevant experience, and reasons for interest in the organization. After the phone screen, I was emailed and asked to attend an in-person interview the next week. In the in-person interview, I met with two members of the staff team that directly oversaw and worked with the position I applied for, the Manager of Match Support and Coordinator of Match Support. It was a lengthy interview, lasting about an hour and fifteen minutes where the two interviewers took turns asking questions and answering questions that I had. Next I completed a Spanish phone screen, which was brief with about 5 questions total. After the Spanish phone screen, I was invited back to interview with the VP of Programs and the Manager of Enrollment and Matching. When I arrived for the second interview, I only met with the VP of Programs. It was a very basic interview lasting only 20min (which included the time I took to ask questions also). It seemed that VP of Programs had not communicated with my first interviewers, which gave me a sense that the process was a bit disorganized and not cohesive. Once that was over, I completed a short writing assessment where I wrote 2 sample email responses to Big and Little Sisters.

After the entire interviewing process, I was never contacted again by the organization. I understand that the position is still open, however after 2 phone interviews and 2 in-person interviews I at least expected to be informed that I was not the fit they were looking for. I was very surprised not to hear anything from the organization after the in-depth interview process.

Overall, it seems a great organization that seems to lack efficient communication.

Interview Questions

• How comfortable do you feel forming relationships with families and facilitating Big and Little Sister introductions in the home of the Little Sister?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America.

Interview

Great phone interview. Came in for the in-person meeting and the HR person was great. One of the senior managers; however, strongly suggested that I was too old for the position (being in my 40s), though I was completely qualified.

Interview Questions

• It was unexpected to feel that the interviewer thought -- quite openly -- that I was too old. Especially at a not-for-profit.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America.

Interview

The interview process was not difficult. There were a few basic questions that were asked about my background and past employment and why I was interested in the position.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult questions were specific questions or details about previous employment that was asked that was required to be answered in details according to how I handled certain situations.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation or salary

Match Support Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America.

Interview

I had a phone interview first that was only about fifteen minutes long. I was called in for an in-person interview the following day. We chatted for about thirty minutes. Atmosphere was casual but professional.

Interview Questions

• What would you tell a parent if they asked you for help finding food assistance?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was not a negotiation.

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America.

Interview

I was brought in for a first and second round interview. On the second interview I was brought around to HR, the executive director, and submitted a background check form. Only took a few days after my second interview to hear back about the position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was unable to negotiate.

Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America.

Interview

I had three interviews, met with several different people in the company. Also had an extensive 2 hour long phone interview. The Human Resources process was very slow, and the company never took the time, after all of mine was invested, to reach out to me personally about not getting the job.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America in July 2014.

Interview

I forwarded my resume via email and received an email the next day requesting a phone interview. After the phone interview then your resume is forwarded to the hiring manager. The hiring manager will schedule you for a second interview plus schedule you for a computer skills test along with a typing test.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions, just the basic questions.   1 Answer

Match Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lancaster, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America (Lancaster, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

Briefly asked about former experience working with people and past experience in the social work field. Was asked how I was at handling conflict between people and high stress jobs.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable making phone calls?   1 Answer