Big Heart Pet Brands

Relevance Date Difficulty

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Big Heart Pet Brands in December 2009.

Interview Details – It truly is about how good of a reputation you build for yourself. I was already temping and was recommended for a position by a permanent employee. (Think cube neighbor to perm employee in diff dept upstairs to his/her manager to 2nd manager to HR to staffiing agency manager - that's how many times my name rolled in the reco conversation to get the interview scheduled. ) I interviewed with 2 managers and ask questions about skill set mainly (PowerPoint and Outlook is huge here). The key question I was asked was regarding my inter personal skills. Come to find out I had more skills than required that they believe would be a great asset but the interpersonal skills for this roll was vitally important due to the company culture.

(Hint: seek admins with the company from linked in or iaap to find what other special skills you may need to know.)

Interview Question – Give me a sales pitch on why I should hire you.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Staffing agency asked how much I wanted. He relayed it to HR. HR relayed it managers and they accepted my exact offer. Nice. Except I realize many months later I was low balling myself. Do your homework on what the market average is and add $20k to your offer. THEN start the negotiation. Know your worth.

Worked for Big Heart Pet Brands? Contribute to the Community!