Big Heart Pet Brands Interview Questions

Updated Dec 16, 2014

2.8

Production Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Big Heart Pet Brands (Buffalo, NY) in December 2014.

Interview

Initially found the job posting on Monster/Indeed and submitted my resume for review. A few weeks later I received a call from an HR generalist that scheduled a phone interview with a manufacturing manager which was just 3 days later. Roughly a month later I was called to do an in-plant interview with a 15 or so others where we had to fill out an applications and completed panel style interviews with production management. Interview questions concentrated on background, adaptations, availability and work scenarios.

A week later I received another phone call to come in with a few select others to participate in a plant tour and interview with HR and a production manager which focused mainly on more what if scenarios, how you handle overtime and why you should be hired among others.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were relatively confusing. It almost seemed as if all scenarios they spoke of were related only to work there. But not too difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Pay and benefits are subject to union.agreement.

IT Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Big Heart Pet Brands (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

Good questions. Applicable to job. Interviewed with several people. Described job that I was interviewing for so I knew what exactly to expect. Got to meet many people that gave me a good feel for the culture.

Interview Questions

• I had standard questions. What is your greatest strength? What is your greatest weakness? None of the interviewers still work there.   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Interview

You must submit your resume to the company website first. Make sure you research the brands and know your stuff. Next there will be a screening interview over the phone with HR. If you pass that, you will come in to San Francisco to meet with 4-5 managers and VPs. It would be helpful to bring examples of former work to showcase your talents.

Interview Questions

• There will be live case examples you will be expected to present. So give me a presentation on how you determine an effective promotional event etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes, you can negotiate slightly. Make sure you include any vacation time you need as well as salary

Manager, Benefits Systems Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Big Heart Pet Brands (San Francisco, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me on Monday, phone interviewed with the company on Tuesday, went in for in-person interview on Thursday, and found out that I got the job on Friday. All in all, the interview process went very smooth and fast that I was vey impressed on their quick turn around time.

In addition, when I came in for my interview, everyone was very friendly. I felt like I just fit right in the group as if I have known these people for a while. I also like the office and its environment. It's so cool and the design they have in the office really makes their brand stands out.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about my experience with HR systems and how would I tackle integration issues between two systems.   Answer Question

Senior Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Big Heart Pet Brands (Pittsburgh, PA) in March 2014.

Interview

Applied through company website as well as internal referral. Phone screen (10 min) with HR. Phone interview with hiring manager (45 minutes). On-site with hiring manager & two peers (1 hr each, all separate). Contacted following day with offer. Longest part of the process was screening; references, drug tests & background checks all very thorough.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiation was available and done through HR. Vacation time set based on years of service, but salary was discussed.

Associate Brand Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Big Heart Pet Brands.

Interview

Behavioral interviews by 5 employees across various level

Interview Questions

• How did you deal with difficult people dynamics in a team (S type of question)   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Interview

recruiter found me on linkedin and reached out. Typical questions focused on behaviorals

Packing Machine Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Decatur, AL

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Big Heart Pet Brands (Decatur, AL).

Interview

The interview and process was in one day with tree supervisors. the question was business relate and expertise on Machine and production, and safety, and education. ect

Interview Questions

• the type of machine they run I'm CNC Metal Machine, and this was Packing Machine, training is coming with the job so was happy I' got the job.   Answer Question

Manager, Strategy & Corp Dev Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Big Heart Pet Brands (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Applied online and within a couple days, I received a pre-screen questionnaire from HR with questions like "Why are you interested and qualified for this position?", "Explain your experience as related to the position", etc. Had a quick phone screen with HR, then a phone interview with the hiring manager. Passed that, so next step was to fly me across the country to San Francisco for 4 hours of interviews, where I met with 5 people, including my team and other business partners. That went well so I assumed that was the final round and I would get a final answer. But no, they wanted me to fly back to SF the following week for another full slate of interviews, including the CFO and several Senior VPs. Unfortunately, because of a transit strike that week, all the senior people worked from home, so I ended up flying across the country to sit in a conference room and conduct phone interviews. They told me that they'd try to give me an answer ASAP, especially since I was in a time sensitive situation, but it took over a month, and numerous emails from me, before I finally received a generic rejection email, despite making 2 cross-country trips to interview with them. All attempts to receive feedback failed. I felt that this was a massive waste of time and that their behavior towards me was very disrespectful. I also found it somewhat odd that despite the fact that I traveled so far to meet with them (twice), no one offered to take me out to lunch following my 3-4 hours of interviews. I finished up right at lunchtime and they sent me on my way. That just doesn't seem to be the M.O. of most well-run companies. Moreover, it took them almost 3 months, and significant prodding, to reimburse me for all my travel expenses. In the end, perhaps it's a good thing I didn't end up there, if this is the way they treat their candidates.

Interview Questions

• No questions were particularly challenging. Asked me lots of questions on the business and overall product portfolio and had a couple good conversations regarding the future prospects of some of their business lines. Had a case that asked me to look at a potential international expansion during my 1st visit that the CFO then proceeded to ask me (over the phone) again during my 2nd visit.   Answer Question

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Big Heart Pet Brands (San Francisco, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

Applied online and within a month received an email questionaire from HR. Of course this is used to weed people out. The questions were - why are u interested and qualified for this role? year of experience/ what industry? salary requirements? work eligibility? job search status? availability to start?...
    Upon completing this I was recontacted for exact salary range. They would not proceed based on negotiable/ market rate/ commensurate with responsibilities... they wanted and exact range even before speaking to you. This of course made me uncomfortable but my range was in line with their requirements so i was invited to speak with the hiring manager via phone. The HM seem disinterested and annoyed and I was turned off a few minutes into the conversation.