Big Heart Pet Brands

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Buyer Interview

Senior Buyer
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Big Heart Pet Brands in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through company website as well as internal referral. Phone screen (10 min) with HR. Phone interview with hiring manager (45 minutes). On-site with hiring manager & two peers (1 hr each, all separate). Contacted following day with offer. Longest part of the process was screening; references, drug tests & background checks all very thorough.

Interview Question – No particular curveballs.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was available and done through HR. Vacation time set based on years of service, but salary was discussed.

Associate Brand Manager Interview

Associate Brand Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Big Heart Pet Brands.

Interview Details – Behavioral interviews by 5 employees across various level

Interview Question – How did you deal with difficult people dynamics in a team (S type of question)   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager

Interviewed at Big Heart Pet Brands

Interview Details – recruiter found me on linkedin and reached out. Typical questions focused on behaviorals

Interview Question – most of them were generic questions   Answer Question

Packing Machine Operator Interview

Packing Machine Operator
Decatur, AL

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Big Heart Pet Brands.

Interview Details – The interview and process was in one day with tree supervisors. the question was business relate and expertise on Machine and production, and safety, and education. ect

Interview Question – the type of machine they run I'm CNC Metal Machine, and this was Packing Machine, training is coming with the job so was happy I' got the job.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Big Heart Pet Brands in June 2012.

Interview Details – very professional, everything ran on time, good questions

Interview Question – why are you interested in packaged goods, specifially canned goods?   Answer Question

Manager, Strategy & Corp Dev Interview

Manager, Strategy & Corp Dev
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Big Heart Pet Brands.

Interview Details – Applied online and within a couple days, I received a pre-screen questionnaire from HR with questions like "Why are you interested and qualified for this position?", "Explain your experience as related to the position", etc. Had a quick phone screen with HR, then a phone interview with the hiring manager. Passed that, so next step was to fly me across the country to San Francisco for 4 hours of interviews, where I met with 5 people, including my team and other business partners. That went well so I assumed that was the final round and I would get a final answer. But no, they wanted me to fly back to SF the following week for another full slate of interviews, including the CFO and several Senior VPs. Unfortunately, because of a transit strike that week, all the senior people worked from home, so I ended up flying across the country to sit in a conference room and conduct phone interviews. They told me that they'd try to give me an answer ASAP, especially since I was in a time sensitive situation, but it took over a month, and numerous emails from me, before I finally received a generic rejection email, despite making 2 cross-country trips to interview with them. All attempts to receive feedback failed. I felt that this was a massive waste of time and that their behavior towards me was very disrespectful. I also found it somewhat odd that despite the fact that I traveled so far to meet with them (twice), no one offered to take me out to lunch following my 3-4 hours of interviews. I finished up right at lunchtime and they sent me on my way. That just doesn't seem to be the M.O. of most well-run companies. Moreover, it took them almost 3 months, and significant prodding, to reimburse me for all my travel expenses. In the end, perhaps it's a good thing I didn't end up there, if this is the way they treat their candidates.

Interview Question – No questions were particularly challenging. Asked me lots of questions on the business and overall product portfolio and had a couple good conversations regarding the future prospects of some of their business lines. Had a case that asked me to look at a potential international expansion during my 1st visit that the CFO then proceeded to ask me (over the phone) again during my 2nd visit.   Answer Question

Pitts, PA

I applied online - interviewed at Big Heart Pet Brands in June 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process was fairly straight forward. I interviewed with an HR Manager, the hiring Manager and two other employees from another department that work along with the role. There was a second round of interviews with a person in the department and two other employees that work closely with the role. After the second round an offer was made.

Interview Question – Describe a difficult situation in which you had to overcome.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation of salary or vacation.

Project Supervisor Interview

Project Supervisor
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Big Heart Pet Brands in June 2011.

Interview Details – Can be tedious but worthwhile. Be professional.

Interview Question – Why Del Monte?   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Big Heart Pet Brands in July 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and within a month received an email questionaire from HR. Of course this is used to weed people out. The questions were - why are u interested and qualified for this role? year of experience/ what industry? salary requirements? work eligibility? job search status? availability to start?...
Upon completing this I was recontacted for exact salary range. They would not proceed based on negotiable/ market rate/ commensurate with responsibilities... they wanted and exact range even before speaking to you. This of course made me uncomfortable but my range was in line with their requirements so i was invited to speak with the hiring manager via phone. The HM seem disinterested and annoyed and I was turned off a few minutes into the conversation.

Interview Question – tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Big Heart Pet Brands in December 2009.

Interview Details – It truly is about how good of a reputation you build for yourself. I was already temping and was recommended for a position by a permanent employee. (Think cube neighbor to perm employee in diff dept upstairs to his/her manager to 2nd manager to HR to staffiing agency manager - that's how many times my name rolled in the reco conversation to get the interview scheduled. ) I interviewed with 2 managers and ask questions about skill set mainly (PowerPoint and Outlook is huge here). The key question I was asked was regarding my inter personal skills. Come to find out I had more skills than required that they believe would be a great asset but the interpersonal skills for this roll was vitally important due to the company culture.

(Hint: seek admins with the company from linked in or iaap to find what other special skills you may need to know.)

Interview Question – Give me a sales pitch on why I should hire you.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Staffing agency asked how much I wanted. He relayed it to HR. HR relayed it managers and they accepted my exact offer. Nice. Except I realize many months later I was low balling myself. Do your homework on what the market average is and add $20k to your offer. THEN start the negotiation. Know your worth.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Big Heart Pet Brands? Contribute to the Community!

Big Heart Pet Brands Videos

Big Heart Pet Brands – Why Work for Us?

We make products people love to buy, and experiences that strengthen the bond between them. We do this because we love pets and we know you trust us with their well-being. We are driven to constantly improve the quality… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Big Heart Pet Brands interview questions and advice. All 17 interview reviews posted anonymously by Big Heart Pet Brands employees and interview candidates.