Big Lots Interview Questions

Updated Apr 18, 2015

2.2

Upper Management Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Big Lots.

Interview

two part interview DM was great, I interviewed with another manager first then interviewed with the DM. He made me feel comfortable and spoke to me like he had know me for a while

Interview Questions

• What my other peers would say about me from previous employer   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Big Lots.

Interview

It was pretty straight forward. I applied online, then a recruiter called and interviewed me. They asked basic interview questions such as; what would I do in a particular situation and what was my weakest area. I was then called in and interviewed by the DM. The recuriter called again and offered me a position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I had another offer from a different company so that helped. I used that to get a better offer.

Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Big Lots.

Interview

Campus recruiting. Interviewed me on site. Just asked about retail experience and asked behavioral style questions.Was a panel style interview, district manager asked most of the questions. It was pretty informal but nothing to stress over.

Interview Questions

• felt pretty relaxed they just asked about retail experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation

not very negotional

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Interview

Interviewed with Store Manager, then with District Manager. They asked me to complete a paper application. Then they told me they would let me know in about a week. I recieved a call the next week that they were going to move forward and submit my information to their HR department.

Interview Questions

• Basic management questions. Regional HR completed background check and that took about 2 weeks, then I was job offered.   Answer Question

Store Management Canidate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Big Lots (Hartford, CT) in December 2014.

Interview

What a joke! What interview? I think I asked more questions then the interviewer. NO job duties could be discussed in any detail. Day to day operations could not be discussed in any detail. Basic retail operations questions were avoided.

District Manager was completely unsure of what the job actually was or specific duties involved. Very unprofessional and untrained.

Cashier/Stocker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jonesboro, AR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Big Lots (Jonesboro, AR) in November 2014.

Interview

Just a brief interview about work history, and hours that are available. What my hourly pay would be. What my job would include. When I would start work. I was also given 2 uniform shirts.

Interview Questions

• If I had retail experience   1 Answer

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Big Lots.

Interview

They asked about your past job history. Pretty simple process. Just go in and be calm and know a little bit about their company, they like that. Just come prepared and dressed nicely.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Big Lots (Dallas, TX).

Interview

When I was wanting to change retail jobs, A girl from Columbus Ohio called me on the phone. She found my resume online. I sent her back to her manager 3 time before I agreed to an Interview. I wanted more money. As soon as we decided on a number I got an interview for Furniture manager. Got a 2nd interview and started the 3 week training soon after that. My training lasted 3 days of the 3 weeks they told me it was going to be. But I soon picked up the knowledge that I needed and added some of my own stuff in to my job description. I wrote my own schedule, hired my own team and demanded more hours for my team. I had created a good team, and bonused almost ever quarter.

Interview Questions

• There was not a difficult question, I nailed it.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I sent the head hunter back 3 times to get the price I wanted.

Store Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Big Lots.

Interview

basic interview questions, nothing very hard. I was interviewed by the assistant manager and offered the job on the spot which was very unexpected. I feel like they were just in need of any real help they could receive. The questions were more or less pertained to the customer experience and how to make it as best as possible. The only real out of the norm question was pertained to returns and being able to handle telling someone no, if i thought they were trying to ste4al from the company.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None.

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Big Lots in August 2014.

Interview

Was contacted via phone to set up a phone interview the next day. Even though, according to the website I had the qualifications they were looking for, I was told that they could not offer me the position. Instead, they would attempt to offer me something with hourly wages and call me back, which never happened.

Interview Questions

• In depth review of previous experiences, practically to the point of dissection.   Answer Question