Big Lots

103 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

IT QA Analyst Interview

IT QA Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Big Lots in June 2014.

Interview Details – I had a referral from a friend. The HR rep called me soon after. She was friendly and we set up a phone screen. A week later they called me in for an on site interview. I interviewed with my would-be supervisor and a Sr Analyst.

Interview Question – None, very straight forward. Not technical.   Answer Question

Advertising Planning Specialist Interview

Advertising Planning Specialist
Columbus, OH

I applied online - interviewed at Big Lots in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online. They called for a phone interview about 2-3 weeks later. Their online application process in very ancient. The resume does not format correctly. After an initial phone interview, they invited me for a face-to-face interview. I drove over 150 miles for the interview. I meet with the hiring manager and their boss. None of the questions were unexpected. I thought things went well. So as a good candidate should, I send a thank-you email. I was told that I would hear something within 2 days. Well 1 week rolled by and I heard nothing. Fine...I assumed I didn't get the position. But then after I left a VM for the HR contact 1 week after the email, still nothing. I think this is totally unprofessional, especially given that I drove so much out of my way to meet these people. The least they could have done was shoot me a rejection email, or let me know why they didn't go with me. I was surprised by this lack of professionalism. I'm taking this as a poor reflection on the company and am happy to move on.

Interview Question – If you were to make a business recommendation, with solid data points validating your recommendation, and upper management still doesn't take your recommendations, how would feel about that?   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Assistant Store Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Big Lots.

Interview Details – 2 interviews you have to go through the first is very long if you get to the second one you have the job.They just ask basic evryday questions that will help to run there business

Negotiation Details – yes stick to your price remember they need you on there team

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Store Manager Trainee Interview

Store Manager Trainee

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Big Lots.

Interview Details – Interivew test basic retail knowledge nothing to hard. They look to see if you have the knowledge to become a ASSOCIATE MANAGER NOT STORE MANAGER. If had prior retail experience you would be fine

Interview Question – none had few years in retail, How would you deal with an irate customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – non negotiation 12HR

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Big Lots in June 2014.

Interview Details – Had one interview with the associate manager and although I was nervous, I was surprised to find the process to be very laid back and the questions focused more on me and my back ground. A lot of the questions focus on you and how you tend to work, your previous work history, and basically about your life and what you hope to working with the company.

Interview Question – Where do you think your biggest improvements are?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – If you don't have a lot of sales experience to bring to the company, you will not be able to negotiate what you will make an hour. Expects to start at minimum wage, which is ok because there are always advancement opportunities.

Cashier/Stocker Interview

Cashier/Stocker

I applied through other source and interviewed at Big Lots.

Interview Details – to work there, you must 'know someone'. doesn't help to just walk in off the street. might go into the store you are interested in applying and befriend the hiring manager about 2 months in advance. go to his church first... that helps.

Interview Question – if asked about hours, say you will work ANYTHING at ANYTIME. just get into the door.   Answer Question

Store Associate Interview

Store Associate
Saint Petersburg, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Big Lots in May 2014.

Interview Details – Walked in one day and saw they were hiring. Asked for an application and returned the next day. Spoke with the store manager who set up a formal interview for the following day. The interview consisted of the typical questions such as experience, why you want to work there, etc. At the end of the interview, was told I would receive an email within the next few days for a background check consent. About three days later, got called to discuss results and possible employment.

Interview Question – It was all pretty standard. There were no questions that were unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Pay starts at $8. Part-time employees get no more than 24 hours a week. Benefits offered after a ear of service.

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Big Lots in April 2012.

Interview Details – 3 hour interview with Market Manager
Review resume in detail and discussed at length Performance Management, Freight Process, Customer Service, Scheduling/Availability
several interruptions with store staff coming into office area during interview

Interview Question – none, was very basic; strengths/needs, how to handle performance management issues, how to best communicate with staff, follow up techniques, and organizational skills   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – met current compensation

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Assistant Store Manager

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Big Lots.

Interview Details – Was asked, are you sure you want to be an assistant manager? who says that? and was given a horrible salary nonnegotiable. when i asked if they could do better as i was with them for 4 years, they said no but you can go somewhere else!

Interview Question – standard questions   Answer Question

Furniture Manager Big Lots Interview

Furniture Manager Big Lots

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Big Lots.

Interview Details – Applied online and went into the store to fill out paper application. I got a call back a few days later to do a face to face interview with Store Manager. A week later I had another interview with the District Manager, and they got me a few days after and offered me the job.

Interview Question – How did you handle a difficult situation on your previous job?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. hourly/ 40 hours a week with no overtime.

Worked for Big Lots? Contribute to the Community!