Big Lots

Updated Nov 3, 2014
Updated Nov 3, 2014

2.2

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Big Lots.

They asked about your past job history. Pretty simple process. Just go in and be calm and know a little bit about their company, they like that. Just come prepared and dressed nicely.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Big Lots.

When I was wanting to change retail jobs, A girl from Columbus Ohio called me on the phone. She found my resume online. I sent her back to her manager 3 time before I agreed to an Interview. I wanted more money. As soon as we decided on a number I got an interview for Furniture manager. Got a 2nd interview and started the 3 week training soon after that. My training lasted 3 days of the 3 weeks they told me it was going to be. But I soon picked up the knowledge that I needed and added some of my own stuff in to my job description. I wrote my own schedule, hired my own team and demanded more hours for my team. I had created a good team, and bonused almost ever quarter.

Interview Questions
    • There was not a difficult question, I nailed it.   View Answer
    I sent the head hunter back 3 times to get the price I wanted.

Store Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Big Lots.

basic interview questions, nothing very hard. I was interviewed by the assistant manager and offered the job on the spot which was very unexpected. I feel like they were just in need of any real help they could receive. The questions were more or less pertained to the customer experience and how to make it as best as possible. The only real out of the norm question was pertained to returns and being able to handle telling someone no, if i thought they were trying to ste4al from the company.

None.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Big Lots in August 2014.

Was contacted via phone to set up a phone interview the next day. Even though, according to the website I had the qualifications they were looking for, I was told that they could not offer me the position. Instead, they would attempt to offer me something with hourly wages and call me back, which never happened.

Interview Questions
    • In depth review of previous experiences, practically to the point of dissection.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Big Lots in August 2014.

Applied online - process took several months due to internal website deployment and everyone was busy (then why have open position if they know they would not be able to interview on time).

Initial phone interview. After having technical phone issues finally had a phone interview with HR and everything went very well. Told they will share feedback with hiring manager and get back within 1-2 weeks. The process took two months b/c HR was deploying a new website.

After several months, the interview was set up - the first person on the interview kept looking at the clock and breezing through questions as If I was a machine and as he had a meeting afterward. No eye contact, only looking through the papers (questions). Second interview was also not planned as she kept looking at my resume and cutting me through the middle of my answers - so technically asking a question on top of another question with very little listening. HR did not even make it (according to someone, sick....note: on previous occasions did not call/call on time due to being sick as well). And finally they tried to sell me on perks (Cafeteria has really great and cheap burgers...). The whole interviewing and excuses were a bit strange and also felt as if the initial interviewing person has a lot of knowledge but seems to keep it to himself, no knowledge share. I wish them the best of luck. A very intelligent IT BA would certainly select a better team environment to spend half (M-F) of his/her life at.

Interview Questions
    • Very basic interview questions - not a much technical. Also went through a small use case (walk me how you would implement a in store sales point system)   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Big Lots.

2 interviews you have to go through the first is very long if you get to the second one you have the job.They just ask basic evryday questions that will help to run there business

yes stick to your price remember they need you on there team

Store Manager Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Big Lots.

Interivew test basic retail knowledge nothing to hard. They look to see if you have the knowledge to become a ASSOCIATE MANAGER NOT STORE MANAGER. If had prior retail experience you would be fine

Interview Questions
    • none had few years in retail, How would you deal with an irate customer?   Answer Question
    non negotiation 12HR

IT QA Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Big Lots in June 2014.

I had a referral from a friend. The HR rep called me soon after. She was friendly and we set up a phone screen. A week later they called me in for an on site interview. I interviewed with my would-be supervisor and a Sr Analyst.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Big Lots in June 2014.

Had one interview with the associate manager and although I was nervous, I was surprised to find the process to be very laid back and the questions focused more on me and my back ground. A lot of the questions focus on you and how you tend to work, your previous work history, and basically about your life and what you hope to working with the company.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you think your biggest improvements are?   View Answer
    If you don't have a lot of sales experience to bring to the company, you will not be able to negotiate what you will make an hour. Expects to start at minimum wage, which is ok because there are always advancement opportunities.

Cashier/Stocker Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Big Lots.

to work there, you must 'know someone'. doesn't help to just walk in off the street. might go into the store you are interested in applying and befriend the hiring manager about 2 months in advance. go to his church first... that helps.

Interview Questions
    • if asked about hours, say you will work ANYTHING at ANYTIME. just get into the door.   Answer Question