Big Lots Interview Questions

Updated Apr 18, 2015

2.2

Store Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Petersburg, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Big Lots (Saint Petersburg, FL) in May 2014.

Interview

Walked in one day and saw they were hiring. Asked for an application and returned the next day. Spoke with the store manager who set up a formal interview for the following day. The interview consisted of the typical questions such as experience, why you want to work there, etc. At the end of the interview, was told I would receive an email within the next few days for a background check consent. About three days later, got called to discuss results and possible employment.

Interview Questions

• It was all pretty standard. There were no questions that were unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Pay starts at $8. Part-time employees get no more than 24 hours a week. Benefits offered after a ear of service.

IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Big Lots (Columbus, OH) in May 2014.

Interview

I was brought it by another intern who was nice at first, once I got to the interview it went well. Seemed to get along great with the other IT people. It was the last part of the interview when things got interesting. Dealt with two human resource people that felt like they needed their ego stroked more than I was willing to do.

Interview Questions

• Basically for me was telling them about myself, for I do not know what is right or wrong.   Answer Question

Advertising Planning Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Big Lots (Columbus, OH) in May 2014.

Interview

I applied online. They called for a phone interview about 2-3 weeks later. Their online application process in very ancient. The resume does not format correctly. After an initial phone interview, they invited me for a face-to-face interview. I drove over 150 miles for the interview. I meet with the hiring manager and their boss. None of the questions were unexpected. I thought things went well. So as a good candidate should, I send a thank-you email. I was told that I would hear something within 2 days. Well 1 week rolled by and I heard nothing. Fine...I assumed I didn't get the position. But then after I left a VM for the HR contact 1 week after the email, still nothing. I think this is totally unprofessional, especially given that I drove so much out of my way to meet these people. The least they could have done was shoot me a rejection email, or let me know why they didn't go with me. I was surprised by this lack of professionalism. I'm taking this as a poor reflection on the company and am happy to move on.

Interview Questions

• If you were to make a business recommendation, with solid data points validating your recommendation, and upper management still doesn't take your recommendations, how would feel about that?   Answer Question

Stocker/Cashier Interview

Interview

Asked in the stores if they are hiring and I was giving to fill so I submitted like 2 days wen I personally met the hiring manager and we discussed my experience,they called some days after that they re going to conduct a background check first and after they will schedule proper interview ,hope all works out well

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Big Lots.

Interview

Met with HR at CareerFest in February. Submitted my application on an email I was given and online. I was contacted about two weeks later to schedule a phone interview. During the phone interview, I was told it went really well and they would let me know either way within the week. I didn't hear from them again until three weeks later when I emailed asking about the position. They told me it had been filled.

Interview Questions

• "What makes you stand out from the many other applicants? Why should I remember YOU?"   1 Answer

Transportation Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Big Lots in April 2014.

Interview

I got the interview opportunity from job fair. the interview was on site, and the interviewers are two managers and a VP. all the interviews were based on my resume, not too many technical questions

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Big Lots.

Interview

I went to a career fair in a hotel for a new store that was about to open. I interviewed with the district manager first, and then was called back to interview with the assistant manager of the store. There weren't that many questions, and the ones that they asked were all pretty standard.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a situation where you've had a hard to deal with customer.   Answer Question

District Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Big Lots.

Interview

The whole process was very sloppy. I got two different calls from recruiters working in the same building and couldn't coordinate who what handling what. I ended up interviewing with both when only one was necessary (was told this by one of the recruiters). I got set up with a face to face interview with the RV and he asked very basic questions and proceeded to tell me that he wasn't really looking for talented people, he wanted to hire someone who could hang in there because they had had horrible turn over up to this point. He proceeded to give me horror stories about other managers from different retailers like Home Depot, Toys R Us, Sears, Ross etc who quit the position right away because the company officials are a bit on the rough side and lack some of the "people skills" needed to run their business. I know he wanted to scare me early in the game to see if I would eventually desist from my intention of applying with them. He said some red flags when it comes to treating employees with respect so to me that was a deal breaker. I told him I am still evaluating other possibilities with other companies which is the actual case and will make my decision once all interviewing is completed.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions. Most unexpected was "What do you do when a superior yells at you and calls you names in public meetings?   1 Answer

Received a better offer with a highly respected company.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Big Lots.

Interview

Guy complained about his job, proceeded to complain about and insult his current staff

Interview Questions

• "You're not afraid of mice or squirrels, are you?"   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Big Lots.

Interview

The normal. How do you fit in with this company?

Interview Questions

Negotiation

NO negotiations