Big Lots

Updated Feb 24, 2015
Updated Feb 24, 2015

2.2

Stocker/Cashier Interview

Asked in the stores if they are hiring and I was giving to fill so I submitted like 2 days wen I personally met the hiring manager and we discussed my experience,they called some days after that they re going to conduct a background check first and after they will schedule proper interview ,hope all works out well

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Big Lots.

Met with HR at CareerFest in February. Submitted my application on an email I was given and online. I was contacted about two weeks later to schedule a phone interview. During the phone interview, I was told it went really well and they would let me know either way within the week. I didn't hear from them again until three weeks later when I emailed asking about the position. They told me it had been filled.

Interview Questions
    • "What makes you stand out from the many other applicants? Why should I remember YOU?"   View Answer

Transportation Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Big Lots in April 2014.

I got the interview opportunity from job fair. the interview was on site, and the interviewers are two managers and a VP. all the interviews were based on my resume, not too many technical questions

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Big Lots.

I went to a career fair in a hotel for a new store that was about to open. I interviewed with the district manager first, and then was called back to interview with the assistant manager of the store. There weren't that many questions, and the ones that they asked were all pretty standard.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a situation where you've had a hard to deal with customer.   Answer Question

District Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Big Lots.

The whole process was very sloppy. I got two different calls from recruiters working in the same building and couldn't coordinate who what handling what. I ended up interviewing with both when only one was necessary (was told this by one of the recruiters). I got set up with a face to face interview with the RV and he asked very basic questions and proceeded to tell me that he wasn't really looking for talented people, he wanted to hire someone who could hang in there because they had had horrible turn over up to this point. He proceeded to give me horror stories about other managers from different retailers like Home Depot, Toys R Us, Sears, Ross etc who quit the position right away because the company officials are a bit on the rough side and lack some of the "people skills" needed to run their business. I know he wanted to scare me early in the game to see if I would eventually desist from my intention of applying with them. He said some red flags when it comes to treating employees with respect so to me that was a deal breaker. I told him I am still evaluating other possibilities with other companies which is the actual case and will make my decision once all interviewing is completed.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. Most unexpected was "What do you do when a superior yells at you and calls you names in public meetings?   View Answer

Received a better offer with a highly respected company.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Big Lots.

Guy complained about his job, proceeded to complain about and insult his current staff

Interview Questions
    • "You're not afraid of mice or squirrels, are you?"   View Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Big Lots.

The normal. How do you fit in with this company?

NO negotiations

Corporate Office Internship Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Big Lots.

Applied online. Took 1/2month and got a phone call for interview. Very basic questions. Just go through your resume and why you want to work for Big lots

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Big Lots.

Walked in because of a posted banner outside, Filled out the paperwork and told them I had experience. I gave references and was hired on the spot and started that day. The store was very short handed going into the holiday season and needed someone right away. I was surprised at how little information was requested but happy to get the job.

Interview Questions
    • Strangest interview since the only questioned asked was if I had experience.   View Answer
    None, they gave me what I ws asking for

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Big Lots.

Interviewed by Regional recruiter on the telephone. Asked about work history, how i would handle certain situations involving negative customer service experiences ect. Questions about salary expectations. Next interviewed with the District Manager who laid out what their expectation were. After that a phone interview with Regional Manager as a sign off to make an offer.