Big Lots

Average Difficulty
9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Big Lots in June 2014.

Interview Details – Had one interview with the associate manager and although I was nervous, I was surprised to find the process to be very laid back and the questions focused more on me and my back ground. A lot of the questions focus on you and how you tend to work, your previous work history, and basically about your life and what you hope to working with the company.

Interview Question – Where do you think your biggest improvements are?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – If you don't have a lot of sales experience to bring to the company, you will not be able to negotiate what you will make an hour. Expects to start at minimum wage, which is ok because there are always advancement opportunities.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Big Lots.

Interview Details – Guy complained about his job, proceeded to complain about and insult his current staff

Interview Question – "You're not afraid of mice or squirrels, are you?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No

Sale Associate Interview

Sale Associate
Omaha, NE

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Big Lots in November 2011.

Interview Details – Very laid back process, nothing overly difficult and quizzical. More or less made up there mind before I went in for the interview.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was where do you see yourself in 5 years   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not very negotiable when hiring sales associates

Moses Lake, WA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Big Lots in April 2013.

Interview Details – Met the manger when I dropped off my app on a Friday. I Got called for a interview on Monday. The interview was good there were two mangers there asking questions normal ones nothing a person with a brain couldn't answer lol. I got offer the job on Friday not sure if I am going to take it yet the hours are 4am/9am. I think I might talk to the manager about if anything with different hours is open .

Interview Question – Nothing that wouldn't be asked in a interview. It was pretty laid back and both mangers seemed really nice.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – 9.16 a hour minimum wage

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Big Lots in January 2013.

Interview Details – This was a new big lots opening in my area so I dropped off an application and they gave me an interview time. I went back and had my first interview. The first person I interviewed was so impressed with me he wanted me to do a second interview. While waiting for my second interview I heard a woman get offered a job during her second interview. After she came out I stepped into the room and had my second interview. The two people in the room after told me they were not hiring people yet but would give me a call. I still haven't received a call back and quite frankly I think if you don't think someone is a fit for your company don't lie and say we aren't hiring yet but we will start calling people hiring soon, just say we don't think you are the right person for the job.

Interview Question – Do you have any work experience   Answer Question

Saint Joseph, MO

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Big Lots in October 2010.

Interview Details – when i was called by big lots for an interview i went in and had a one on one interview with the store manager. he asked simple questions and i was offered the job as a seasonal employee. the interview took maybe 15 minutes and was very simple and easy.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Big Lots in July 2011.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by an Associate Manager. He was courteous and respectful. He called me and set up the interview after filling out and application in person a week or two before being interviewed. He told me about the position available and asked about my previous experience.

Interview Question – Can you start work at 3am   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Big Lots in March 2012.

Interview Details – After finding a local part time ad on Craigslist for Big Lots, I went into the store to fill out an application in person. To fill out the application I wore a fitted shirt, tie, nice dress slacks, and dress shoes. The Store Manager wanted to briefly speak to me about my application when I finished it. He had to take care of several customers and I looked at merchandise close by so I did not distract him, but I was also close enough we could then re-engage in our conversation. During our brief encounter I enthusiastically related to him my current work and past work history, and why I wanted to work for him. He said to call him back in three days to schedule an interview, and on the third day he called me to ask when I could come in for my formal interview.

The Formal Interview consisted of paperwork, hourly pay negotiation, and orientation videos.

Interview Question – What tasks and policies are you already familiar with at our store? Such as CODE ADAM.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I had placed $9.00 an hour as my requirement full well knowing what minimum wage was. The Store Manager shot back an offer to me, which I will not disclose. BUT I will tell you that there is a maximum new hire starting pay for each district in the Big Lots chain. A Store Manager would have to call the District Manager to get clearance, which never happens, to go higher than that per hour. I can tell you to expect the District Maximum to be SIXTY CENTS more than your state's minimum wage.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Big Lots in February 2012.

Interview Details – About a week after returning my application, I received a phone call from the manager offering an interview for a part-time position. The interview was so brief...I was astounded. I was basically just asked if I was capable of doing various things, like lifting 50 lbs, cleaning bathrooms, unloading shipments, doing inventory, and using a cash register. It was so casual and probably took about five minutes! That was at 9:30 this morning. It is now 5:30 and I just got a call from the manager offering me the position. I didn't imagine this would be such a breeze!

Interview Question – One last thing...do you smoke?   View Answers (2)

Interviews for Top Jobs at Big Lots

Worked for Big Lots? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Big Lots Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by Big Lots employees and interview candidates.