Big Lots Store Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jul 17, 2015

1.6

Store Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Big Lots.

Interview

They got back to me pretty quickly, and set up and interview, they asked the basic questions about working with people, did i like working hard, had a second interview which went well got offered the job then they trained me they where a little unorganized but all in all it was what i expected

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Big Lots

Store Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Big Lots.

Interview

basic interview questions, nothing very hard. I was interviewed by the assistant manager and offered the job on the spot which was very unexpected. I feel like they were just in need of any real help they could receive. The questions were more or less pertained to the customer experience and how to make it as best as possible. The only real out of the norm question was pertained to returns and being able to handle telling someone no, if i thought they were trying to ste4al from the company.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Petersburg, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Big Lots (Saint Petersburg, FL) in May 2014.

Interview

Walked in one day and saw they were hiring. Asked for an application and returned the next day. Spoke with the store manager who set up a formal interview for the following day. The interview consisted of the typical questions such as experience, why you want to work there, etc. At the end of the interview, was told I would receive an email within the next few days for a background check consent. About three days later, got called to discuss results and possible employment.

Interview Questions

• It was all pretty standard. There were no questions that were unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Pay starts at $8. Part-time employees get no more than 24 hours a week. Benefits offered after a ear of service.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tacoma, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Big Lots (Tacoma, WA) in January 2014.

Interview

Very easy, also very quick and pleasant. Nothing unexpected. Very Basic questions. Easy knowledge. Not forced or rushed. Very calm and informal. Basically got a job offer on the spot. After wards you have to do paperwork and submit a background check. After the background check there is more paperwork, a drug free workplace agreement but no actual drug test (which they should do in my opinion)

Anonymous Employee in Anaheim Hills, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Big Lots (Anaheim Hills, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

The interview process took 15 minutes. Comfortable interview environment, She asked about my recent employment and why i deserved the job. She also asked basic questions about the job such if i was able to carry 50lbs and wake up really early to load and unload trucks

Interview Questions

• In what way have you shown leadership in an experience you've had?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monroeville, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Big Lots (Monroeville, PA) in October 2012.

Interview

Walk-in hiring process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sonora, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Big Lots (Sonora, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

I was hired as a Temp/Part Time to set a new store up, I was converted to Regular/Part Time after the store opened. The interview was less than 5 minutes and I was asked very simple job related and experience related questions and was hired on the spot!

Interview Questions

• School related question: I dont remember the exact phrasing but it was about a school project, if I had ever done one and what it was/how did I play a part/bla blah, I never took part in school projects as a group, It was always individuallly!   1 Answer

Negotiation

When it comes to having limited experience, being only 21, you take what is offered. If I'd had more experience Id have felt more confident in negotiating, In fact I probably would have asked for Management!

Anonymous Employee in Mc Kees Rocks, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Big Lots (Mc Kees Rocks, PA) in August 2011.

Interview

It was really awkward and a really quiet interview. The manager who interviewed me barely asked me anything.