Big Y Foods Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

2.4

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ludlow, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Big Y Foods (Ludlow, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

Met recruiter and manager at local job fair, Telephone Interview, why do you wanna work for BIg Y, followed by a lengthy personality test, 1:! interview and background check. The hiring process is politically skewed and rigorous. Its not really open, transparent and objective. The company makes jobs very competitive. I was up against 10 other applicants for one position that paying min wage.

Customer Service Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, MA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Big Y Foods (Springfield, MA).

Interview

I applied when paper applications were still used. I received a call back 2 weeks later. The interview lasted 45 to 50 minutes. I felt comfortable and did not feel intimidated by the male interviewer. I did however felt very intimidated by the female interviewer. The stares were very uncomfortable.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths, what is your weaknesses.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate. They do not do that.

Produce Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amherst, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Big Y Foods (Amherst, MA) in August 2014.

Interview

Applied to the job online, and I believe I had to fill out some sort of questionnaire and leave past employment information. I was given a call and asked to come in for an interview, where I was asked some typical interview questions and asked about my previous jobs. I had to take a computer personality test that asked what words you would use to describe yourself and words that others would use to describe you. I was offered the job on the same day, and I had to take a drug screening test within the week before starting the job.

Interview Questions

• What past experience do you have with customer service?   Answer Question

Deli Sales Clerk Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Big Y Foods.

Interview

I interviewed with the department manager and the employee services representative for the store. They were both very friendly and pleasant. They asked simple, fair questions. I was able to voice any concerns over the job and they answered honestly. Hired on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Describe yourself in three words.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate availability for training process. They're very good about working around your schedule.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Big Y Foods.

Interview

once I put in my application, (which took almost an hour and a half to complete) I got called within a week to set up an interview. the dress code for the interview was business professional. lasted about 25 mins. was told to take a drug test within the next 24 hours. only sketchy part was that I was told I was hired at as part-time cashier (which means no less than 18 hours per week and no more than 30) and that's exactly what I was looking for, BUT after two months my hours started to drop. when I brought the subject up to my managers and Employee Services Rep, they stated that I was hired as Casual, not Part-time. which means 25 or less. yet I remember specifically accepting the job offer because they promised to give me 25+ hours a week.

Interview Questions

• if I was willing to quit my other two jobs and work solely for Big Y   1 Answer

Negotiation

they agreed to pay me more than my other 2 jobs were paying me by the hour. agreed to give me the 25-30 hours I was looking for.

Deli Sales Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Big Y Foods in February 2012.

Interview

Long application, including a psych eval(plan at least 45 minutes for the form alone). Calling to check on the application status after 1 week is viewed positively.

Interview Questions

• None, fairly straight forward character, and personality questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I failed to negotiate. I would encourage others to negotiate the salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walpole, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Big Y Foods (Walpole, MA) in August 2011.

Interview

Basic questions, very friendly, easy hire. They were very easy going and made you feel comfortable. I had one interview and then had to take a drug test. After that I was offered the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glastonbury, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Big Y Foods (Glastonbury, CT) in January 2011.

Interview

Very simple process with questions that you would expect from a job interview. Overall just be composed and act the way you normally do. This company is seeking employees who are hard working but also know how to have a good time occassionally. Just enjoy yourself and you will be good in this interview process.

Bakery Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Big Y Foods in July 2010.

Interview

The online questionnaire is by far the most intense part of the interview process. However there is no way around it. After you have filled that out and been called in for a face to face, its pretty smooth sailing from there

Interview Questions

• What do you think you have to add to our Company   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not much negotiating. They don't really pay above a certain amount for a new employee

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Big Y Foods in February 2011.

Interview

It was a standard interview in which they asked specific questions to determine what type of employee a person might be and how they would react in specific situations. It was a fair process but I walked away with the feeling that they didn't take the opportunity to see what I really had to offer for their company.

Interview Questions

• Give a situation where you provided superior customer service.   Answer Question