BigCommerce Interview Questions

Updated Apr 16, 2015

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BigCommerce (Austin, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

I should have taken the red flags from reading other reviews and known not to apply for this company. As other reviewers said, HR is very dis-organized and not professional. It has been over 4 weeks and did not hear anything back at all from them after the interview and not even any word on my interview expenses reimbursements until I had to pro-actively had to request my money for the expenses they said they'd pay for. Very negative feeling and experience with this aspect of the interview. Would not recommend the experience and rather go for companies that treat candidates in a more professional manner.

Interview wise, it started with talking to HR about general requirements. Your typical HR interview about why I want to work there, my status, skills etc..

Step 2 : They sent me a CodeEval challenge to complete. 4 programming questions - nothing too complex - palindrome, circular linked list, primes.. took me some 2 hours to complete (they were generous in giving 10 hours though)

Step 3 : After having complete the challenge, they scheduled a skype video screen with an engineering manager. Was relatively easy, covering general technical topics, a little bit of complexity of some algorithms and design questions.

Step 4 : They invited me for an on-site interview. The interviews were set up as panel interviews with 4 engineers asking design questions mostly (no coding) and a second panel assessing culture fit. Questions were easy and straightforward - nothing too complex [but they were looking for specific answers and not open to different ways of doing things and discussing it - red flag for me] and panel was very cold [red flag again] and did not make me feel welcome at all. All business and no fun. Anyways, perhaps it's their mandate to be serious and treat candidates very business.

Anyways, general negative experience interview experience, mostly due to the bad communications and no responsiveness or follow up after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Design a threaded commenting systems   1 Answer

Sales Director Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at BigCommerce.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by a recruiting coordinator to set up a time with their "Recruiting Goddess", who never called at the scheduled time. 6+ hours went by, at which point the recruiter apologized for standing me up and asked for other available times. Took another 2 days of follow up before she finally turned me over to another recruiting coordinator to set up a new time. She was late to the rescheduled call and seemed put out at this point, as if my follow up vs her lack of response/no show/lateness were cause for irritation. If I'm Bigcommerce I'd be pretty concedend that the person who is making big hiring decisions on behalf of the company, can't even perform the basic functions of her own job- even with 2 coordinators at her disposal.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at BigCommerce.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me via email, and then scheduled a phone interview one morning with one of the senior recruiter. However, she did not call me when 15 mins passed. I tried to contact the recruiter and the senior recruiter to see what is going on, but no reply until the late afternoon.
    Very bad experience

Salesforce Administrator Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at BigCommerce.

Interview

I was contacted by a head hunter and was presented to BigCommerce. I went through 2 phone interviews and was offered the position. They were wonderful on the phone. I was promised more than the actual offer and was hesitant to accept without meeting in person. I was right to be hesitant.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at BigCommerce in January 2015.

Interview

The interview process was pretty straightforward. They are super interested in someone looking to stay in this part of the company and eventually manage other ninjas. Even if you want to move to a different department, keep that talk to a minimum. When I mentioned I might want to move, that was the first time both of the interviewers started paying attention.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with disgruntle customers? Why do you want to work at BigCommerce?   Answer Question

Channel Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BigCommerce (Austin, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

Bigcommerce hires on two buckets - bucket 1 is your resume, and bucket 2 is culture fit. If you make it to an interview, they've already decided your bucket 1 is full, so most of the interviews are designed around sales role-play and to see if you'd work well in the super casual but fast-paced company environment. Several of my interviewers told me that if at the end of the meeting they felt like they could comfortably have a beer with the candidate, then that person passed. Most of my interviews included some mild-moderate swearing and questions about my hobbies. At the end of the hiring process, I even interviewed with a panel of my future teammates to see if they would like me. It's a bit nerve-wracking, but this hiring system results in two huge benfits for the company and culture. First, if they like you, they'll find a place for you at BC (even if it's not in the exact role you applied for). Second, because they hire for personality and culture, teams tend to be like-minded people, so teams bond closely and build incredibly positive / motivated working environment.

Interview Questions

• What is your spirit animal?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate my pay slightly.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at BigCommerce (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I was first approached by a 'recruiter' at BigCommerce 3 months ago. After going in for an in-person interview, I never heard back from them - they simply fell off the radar. A couple of months later recruiters are at my door again. Reluctantly, I allow the process to continue by giving them the benefit of the doubt as I was told that the person in charge for filling the new San Francisco office at the time was not an actual recruiter.

After the recruiter had initially reached out it took at least a week to even get to scheduling a initial call (initial for this second round). Why I even had to speak to a recruiter again is puzzling. Incidentally, I was approached by 2 other 'recruiters' of theirs asking if I would like to learn more about some new and exciting opportunity with a super-cool company called BigCommerce. I literally rolled my eyes and laughed out loud. I thought, 'Wow, these guys really don't have their act together' and the red flags went up immediately. Needless to say, I went into this call fairly skeptical.

I hear back from the 'recruiter' a few days later to schedule time to speak with someone else. I let this abomination of a process continue its course as I thought I would finally get the opportunity to speak to someone on the inside (surely, this nonsense is relegated strictly to the hiring process!). The time that was appointed for the call came and went. Very frustrated, I decided that was the last straw. I wrote an email to inform about the noshow and bow out of this nightmare.

Almost right after I sent this email, a 'recruiter' called me up. After a vehement string of apologies and assurances I again, foolishly let this thing continue...

The call with this 'director of engineering' actually happened this time but the call was boring, not very insightful, and he was one of those people that talks way too much about things of little significance. The call went well over the 30mins I had scheduled. It ended abruptly and I never heard from him again...

I advise, if you are considering this place - don't. This place is ridiculously unorganized and that alone, is nothing but a bad indication of what else is going on there.

btw, after I sent my last correspondence saying enough was enough, I was contacted by another one of their 'recruiters' asking me if I'd like to learn more about joining a super-cool company called BigCommerce. *slowclap* bravo bigcommerce *slowclap* ...

Interview Questions

• n/a. I asked the questions. He answered with lengthy anecdotes of little importance.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BigCommerce (Austin, TX) in June 2014.

Interview

First there was a phone interview. Pretty much a simple get to know you, whats your background type questions. Second there was a large hiring event (90 + people ). You meet with 3 interviewers which ask questions about your background. Lastly (Sadly) They give you a project to create a web store and to finish a questionnaire. Both are quite simple and straight forward.

Salesforce Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at BigCommerce (Austin, TX) in April 2014.

Interview

I was approached by headhunter. Went through phone screening with Headhunter and was chosen to speak with client. Had initial interview, that went well and was told I would move to next round. Never heard back. Seemed to be going through quite a bit of changes and turnover. I was on the fence about going further due to all the changes "growing pains".

Interview Questions

• Not Applicable. I asked more questions than the interviewer.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BigCommerce (Austin, TX) in April 2014.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter after being referred. Went over basics of position and then was given assignment to create online store. Had 30-45 min video chat with direct manager. Whole process was moving smoothly until I FLEW across the country to go meet the team in person. After 20 minute face-to-face with my prospective manager, I sat in on their weekly "All-Hands" Meeting. I was told that I was going to have to conduct the final portion of the interview process from home the following week because the Chief Revenue Officer was supposedly traveling.

To my surprise, the CRO was indeed in the office that day and not on the road as what was told to me. Despite this odd development, I proceeded to meet with two members of the team I was interviewing with, but after about 10-15 minutes, was told by one of them that "I have to go home to my wife" and cut the interview short. Mind you that this was about 4:45 in the afternoon.

I was led out by the other team member and was told that I would "definitely" be moving on to the next step in the process (call with the CRO, even though it was already scheduled). Then received email the following Monday that I was out of the running for the job, call with the CRO be damned. No response or explanation. Probably dodged a bullet and it speaks to the type of place that would conduct an interview process this poorly.