BigCommerce

Updated Oct 2, 2014

3.1

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at BigCommerce.

I was first approached by a 'recruiter' at BigCommerce 3 months ago. After going in for an in-person interview, I never heard back from them - they simply fell off the radar. A couple of months later recruiters are at my door again. Reluctantly, I allow the process to continue by giving them the benefit of the doubt as I was told that the person in charge for filling the new San Francisco office at the time was not an actual recruiter.

After the recruiter had initially reached out it took at least a week to even get to scheduling a initial call (initial for this second round). Why I even had to speak to a recruiter again is puzzling. Incidentally, I was approached by 2 other 'recruiters' of theirs asking if I would like to learn more about some new and exciting opportunity with a super-cool company called BigCommerce. I literally rolled my eyes and laughed out loud. I thought, 'Wow, these guys really don't have their act together' and the red flags went up immediately. Needless to say, I went into this call fairly skeptical.

I hear back from the 'recruiter' a few days later to schedule time to speak with someone else. I let this abomination of a process continue its course as I thought I would finally get the opportunity to speak to someone on the inside (surely, this nonsense is relegated strictly to the hiring process!). The time that was appointed for the call came and went. Very frustrated, I decided that was the last straw. I wrote an email to inform about the noshow and bow out of this nightmare.

Almost right after I sent this email, a 'recruiter' called me up. After a vehement string of apologies and assurances I again, foolishly let this thing continue...

The call with this 'director of engineering' actually happened this time but the call was boring, not very insightful, and he was one of those people that talks way too much about things of little significance. The call went well over the 30mins I had scheduled. It ended abruptly and I never heard from him again...

I advise, if you are considering this place - don't. This place is ridiculously unorganized and that alone, is nothing but a bad indication of what else is going on there.

btw, after I sent my last correspondence saying enough was enough, I was contacted by another one of their 'recruiters' asking me if I'd like to learn more about joining a super-cool company called BigCommerce. *slowclap* bravo bigcommerce *slowclap* ...

Interview Questions
    • n/a. I asked the questions. He answered with lengthy anecdotes of little importance.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BigCommerce in June 2014.

First there was a phone interview. Pretty much a simple get to know you, whats your background type questions. Second there was a large hiring event (90 + people ). You meet with 3 interviewers which ask questions about your background. Lastly (Sadly) They give you a project to create a web store and to finish a questionnaire. Both are quite simple and straight forward.

Salesforce Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at BigCommerce in April 2014.

I was approached by headhunter. Went through phone screening with Headhunter and was chosen to speak with client. Had initial interview, that went well and was told I would move to next round. Never heard back. Seemed to be going through quite a bit of changes and turnover. I was on the fence about going further due to all the changes "growing pains".

Interview Questions
    • Not Applicable. I asked more questions than the interviewer.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BigCommerce in April 2014.

Contacted by a recruiter after being referred. Went over basics of position and then was given assignment to create online store. Had 30-45 min video chat with direct manager. Whole process was moving smoothly until I FLEW across the country to go meet the team in person. After 20 minute face-to-face with my prospective manager, I sat in on their weekly "All-Hands" Meeting. I was told that I was going to have to conduct the final portion of the interview process from home the following week because the Chief Revenue Officer was supposedly traveling.

To my surprise, the CRO was indeed in the office that day and not on the road as what was told to me. Despite this odd development, I proceeded to meet with two members of the team I was interviewing with, but after about 10-15 minutes, was told by one of them that "I have to go home to my wife" and cut the interview short. Mind you that this was about 4:45 in the afternoon.

I was led out by the other team member and was told that I would "definitely" be moving on to the next step in the process (call with the CRO, even though it was already scheduled). Then received email the following Monday that I was out of the running for the job, call with the CRO be damned. No response or explanation. Probably dodged a bullet and it speaks to the type of place that would conduct an interview process this poorly.

Senior Director of Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at BigCommerce in April 2014.

Really bad communication, disorganized office, double booked interviewers. No one has a clue of what is actually going on

Interview Questions
    • Didn't ask any "real" questions, just went over my resume... all the interviewers   Answer Question

Partner Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at BigCommerce.

I applied through the web page and got an e mail a few days later asking to set up a phone interview with the recruiter.
    The recruiter was nice straight forward, pretty standard I would say.
    After the call I was asked to come into the office to meet the hiring manager. Super cool office space, defiantly 2014 SaaS company.

Overall impression of the hiring manager was alright. Very natural conversation. He was new to the company so there were a few questions that I asked that he couldn't really answer. Would have been best for him to just say, I dont know, ill find out, but the manager went on this long winding non-sense road of nothing. That was a little bit strange I thought. The manager also had a very bad habit of interrupting me while I was talking. To test the waters a little bit I did the same to him to see the managers reaction, he wouldnt budge. It was easy to tell that there was a little bit of an attitude there, which might be necessary for that company, I dont know.

I had prepared for the interview because I really wanted to leave a good impression. I made sure I studies the job description and speak to every point. I was asked one question that had nothing to do with the actual job, it was on a topic that I knew about but am not expert at, it was a marketing question. I felt I made the best our of the situation and was transparent that this topic was not my strong point, and answered the question to best of my ability. I cant be certain but feel as that might have been the point where the hiring manager was over it.

Overall- not a bad experience, company seems super cool. Might try again in the future.

Ecommerce Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at BigCommerce in March 2014.

Someone very young and awkward screens you, then you get a callback from someone good at weeding out unqualified people. Getting in the door is easy. If you have been on at least two interviews in your life, you'll sail through this without breaking a sweat. They don't want to hear what you have to say, just if you can fill a seat.

Interview Questions
    • None. Same old "what is your greatest weakness?" and repeated questions about how hard you push yourself and what type of performance do you plan to deliver.   Answer Question
    No negotiation possible. Commission bar is very difficult to reach.

Technical Support Ninja Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online – interviewed at BigCommerce in February 2014.

Had two calls, one was just to field me, but the second was the actual interview. It went well, recruiter was very energetic and seemed interested.

Interview Questions
    • Not very difficult, just needed to explain past experiences - having a good story / experience to share seemed to be a good plus.   Answer Question
    Was not negotiable, as is typical with support jobs.

Tech Support Ninja Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at BigCommerce in January 2014.

I was hired through a hiring event. You need to pass through 3 interviews (1 with a peer, 1 with a manager and 1 with the director of IT) and also navigate your way through all the culture sleuths (yes, we have randomly placed people to judge you on your ability to fit in with the culture).

Technical Support Ninja Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at BigCommerce in November 2013.

I saw the job posting online. First they ask you to submit a resume. If you're background fits the job description, you'll then get an email stating you've been selected for a phone interview. You then go online to select a time slot for them to call you. You'll get a confirmation email on date and time they'll call you. The phone interview is just basic questions like what you think about the company, your knowledge on the position you're applying for, etc.

At the end of the interview, she will then send you a link to take an online quiz. The quiz is 25 questions, and is timed for 30 minutes. There are lots of basic HTML/CSS questions, and about 1 or 2 DNS and TCP questions. They only select the best of the best so make sure you get a high grade on it.

If you scored high enough on the test, they will then call you to set a time and date for an in person interview. Between the time you go in for an interview you're also tasked to build an online store using their software. An email will be sent to you with all the instructions. Make sure to do a great job on this as it is possibly the most important aspect of the whole interview process. If you spend the time and effort to create something awesome they will put you ahead of everyone else. You will need to complete the store before going in for the interview.

The in person interview was very long but overall very enjoyable. The office is awesome and the culture is very "Austin like". When first walking in you'll be asked to sign in at the reception desk, and if they're busy you'll need to wait a while.

Next you get a tour of the office. And then you sit down in the "streeter room" which is named after someone in the company who passed away. You'll sit down and interview with the receptionist for about 15 minutes. Then a programmer comes in to interview you for about 30 minutes. Then the tech support managers come in to interview you for another 30 minutes. Then finally one of the higher up managers comes in to interview you for another 30 minutes.

I think each one prepares you for the next and there were no hard questions or questions I didn't expect. The "how many golfballs can fit in a school bus" question is asked to see if you can figure out the method to find the answer rather than knowing the exact answer.

The two managers were the hardest ones, they seemed a little intimidating at times but if you answer all their questions correctly and put thought into it all it'll go smoothly.

After everything if you're giving an offer they'll email you back that day (they did for me).