Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

Senior Program Officer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Interview

They tend to over-sell the position and hire over-qualified people, which results in disappointment and frustration afterwards. There's high leadership turnover and they are usually not forthcoming during the interview process. For Program Officer jobs, be prepared that a big percentage of your time will be spent on managing internal stakeholders and administrative matters as opposed external-facing work in the field with partners.

Program Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I had two sessions of over 30 minutes interview on phone. It took a while to fix a date for the first interview with the HR recruiter. On both occasions, the questions were fair and both the HR interviewer and hiring manager very friendly.

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA).

Interview

The interview process is long and tedious, but I found the people to be very friendly and gracious throughout. Be prepared to answer the same basic questions about yourself for each person that comes in.

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in January 2015.

Interview

I was invited for a phone interview for two different positions then had a follow-up interview in person. The phone interview lasted for an hour or so then the in person interview is several hours long. The campus is nice, and people have been friendly.

Program Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

I interviewed by phone first, which was standard. My in-person interview lasted all day, with one-on-one interviews from 4-6 members of the team. The interviews took place in various locations, but mostly in one of their small meeting rooms. At least one was by telephone-conference. For such a high-end outfit I was a bit disappointed. They were late several times, had glitches with the technology, and at least one interviewer was rude, questioning my reasons for applying, and insinuating on the spot I wasn't cut out for the environment. I was notified by phone that I did not get the position and told it was going to someone else. Ironically, I have since seen the position posted multiple times.

Senior Program Officer, Global Health Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA) in December 2014.

Interview

It was a series of back to back 1:1 interviews with key team members. Nothing too difficult. Some Interviewers were more prepared than others, for example, some clearly had only just glanced at my resume, while others had very specific questions.

Interview Questions

• What was your leadership, technical, and disease specific experience?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Interview

It was a one and one interview with the HR manager. She was very nice. The question was pretty behavioral questions. Why do you want to join? What is your career plan? She also asked about the community involvement and volunteer work.

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in October 2014.

Interview

First is the initial phone interview with the recruiter. I had two for two different positions. They were both very different interviews. However the recruiters were really professional and knowledgeable about the position, and the foundation. I can respect a place and its employees when they are upfront and honest. After the first phone interview they said they would pass my information on to the hiring manager for review and then I would have another phone interview depending upon the review of my resume and notes from the first interview. The hiring process can take up to a couple of months.

Interview Questions

• The questions really relate to why you want the job and how you feel you qualify. Review you resume and have an understanding of what they are looking for in a candidate.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Interview

No surprises. Same standard interview questions from interviewer to interviewer. Generally nice, but stressed, people. It seemed to take them a long time to schedule the interviews, and they kept adding interview dates after saying the current one was the last one. It became quite an investment. The facility was very nice. Lots of windows. But area traffic was horrendous.

Interview Questions

• Describe your approach to a particular project related problem that had challenging political, executive management, stakeholder and internal relationship dimensions to it.   2 Answers

Interview

First spoke with recruiter, then hiring manager. Hiring on hold while reorg communications department. Know that hiring can take time at the foundation. Really varies on the department, people hiring, etc. Everyone was always very friendly about me touching base.

Interview Questions

• Describe yourself in college.   1 Answer