Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Relevance Date Difficulty

Program Assistant Interview

Program Assistant
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Interview Details – Interview process was straightforward - five interviewers across four or five hours. Seemed to be a bit much for an assistant position, but is now the norm many places. Some of the interviewers seemed to be lost on the interview process and had trouble answering my questions. However, the interviewers were extremely candid about the negatives surrounding the job - which I was taken aback by.

Interview Question – The scenario-based questions were tough, but as long as you know your experience and how it can apply, you should be okay.   View Answer

Grants Administrator Interview

Grants Administrator
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in May 2012.

Interview Details – After submission of my application online it took about two weeks for a recruiter to reach out to me. After initial contact I went through two phone interviews and was then invited to Seattle for a full day of interviews. This took a full 8 hour day and consisted of 6 interviews 1 hour each. Some were 1:1 and others were 2:1. Each interview was different depending on the person. Some has specific questions, some wanted to talk through my experience. Overall just being at the Foundation for 8 hours was a little overwhelming. The interviews were pretty normal.

Interview Question – clearly no one had read my resume or even cared about it. I had spell out everything that was already included on the resume, as well as the items you generally discuss. Make no assumption that any preliminary effort was made before each interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They changed hiring managers in the middle of the recruitment process. The first hiring manager had discussed a higher salary plus relocation, upon actual offer they offered substantially less with no relocation. After over a week of going back and forth they increased the salary a bit (not to the original offer ranger) and paid for relocation.

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in June 2013.

Interview Details – Process began with telephone interviews with recruiter and then hiring manager. Was invited for onsite interviews with others in the Dept and also functional client group leaders. Great people, amazing work. I was disappointed not to be offered position to join the team, however will continue to watch the incredible outcomes the foundation supports in Global Health & US Education.

Interview Question – "If you wrote a book on how to be the best HR Business partner - tell me what is in your table of contents" Excellent question!   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Interview Details – phone interview

Interview Question – none. It was easy and very professional.   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Program Assistant

I applied online - interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in June 2013.

Interview Details – A few weeks after applying online I was contacted by an HR recruiter and had an initial phone interview. Common questions-- Why do you want to work at the foundation, how do you deal with conflict, etc. If they were interested I would meet with 3 to 4 individuals for one on one interviews.

Interview Question – A question was asked something to the effect of my experience with Capitol Hill politics.   Answer Question

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Business Systems Analyst

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in June 2013.

Interview Details – Was contacted by someone from HR. Friendly person who told me about "the foundation" which I already read about on website. I was sad that I was getting a sales pitch during my talk time. First interview was 1 hour long. I was told the hiring process would be 60 or so days from today. That is far to slow for me.

Interview Question – What mistake have you made and what was the impact of the mistake?   Answer Question

Graduate Intern Interview

Graduate Intern
Baltimore, MD

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in March 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted resume and cover letter through career fair. Get a 30min interview after a week. Most of them are general behavioral questions. They want you to tell them your research experience. What is your career goal and why do you want to work for them.

Interview Question – no very difficult questions.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in December 2012.

Interview Details – campus recruitment

Interview Question – 43. Describe a creative solution to a problem you faced?
44. What was the last technology you learned?
  Answer Question

Project Coordinator Interview

Project Coordinator
Seattle, WA

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Interview Details – After an initial interview with the external agency and online MS Office skills assessment, multiple 1:1 interviews were held on campus with the members of the team with whom the selected candidate would be working. The campus is stunning, and everyone was professional and welcoming. LinkedIn was part of the post-interview due diligence, but none of the supplied references were contacted.

Interview Question – All questions were related to perceived lapses in experience or skills with respect to the duties and responsibilities of the position, offering the opportunity to clarify and elaborate upon the information contained in the resume.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Senior Program Officer Interview

Senior Program Officer
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in November 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online August 2012. Received first phone call 3 months later from hr recruiter for first screen. She spent the precious interview time to discourage me to pursue the process since I mentioned I had another opportunity coming soon. She was supposed to contact me back to answer some questions but she never followed up. I learned online I was not selected...never ha'd opportunity to discuss my interest or background. If you want to get a chance to reach the hiring manager....consider to lie on your current working status.

Interview Question – Not expecting to have to deal with a purely administrative question.... The interview was supposed to review my credentials and interest.... I had to deal with unprofessional hr staff.   Answer Question