Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2015

2.9

APO Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA) in June 2013.

Interview

Each interview had a very different description of the job...none of which was in the job description.

Interview Questions

• General inconsistency. Very focused on new research without any interest in leveraging existing education research   Answer Question

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA).

Interview

After an initial interview with the external agency and online MS Office skills assessment, multiple 1:1 interviews were held on campus with the members of the team with whom the selected candidate would be working. The campus is stunning, and everyone was professional and welcoming. LinkedIn was part of the post-interview due diligence, but none of the supplied references were contacted.

Interview Questions

• All questions were related to perceived lapses in experience or skills with respect to the duties and responsibilities of the position, offering the opportunity to clarify and elaborate upon the information contained in the resume.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA) in December 2012.

Interview

campus recruitment

Interview Questions

• 43. Describe a creative solution to a problem you faced?
      44. What was the last technology you learned?

Answer Question

Senior Program Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA) in November 2012.

Interview

Applied online August 2012. Received first phone call 3 months later from hr recruiter for first screen. She spent the precious interview time to discourage me to pursue the process since I mentioned I had another opportunity coming soon. She was supposed to contact me back to answer some questions but she never followed up. I learned online I was not selected...never ha'd opportunity to discuss my interest or background. If you want to get a chance to reach the hiring manager....consider to lie on your current working status.

Interview Questions

• Not expecting to have to deal with a purely administrative question.... The interview was supposed to review my credentials and interest.... I had to deal with unprofessional hr staff.   Answer Question

Grants Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA) in May 2012.

Interview

After submission of my application online it took about two weeks for a recruiter to reach out to me. After initial contact I went through two phone interviews and was then invited to Seattle for a full day of interviews. This took a full 8 hour day and consisted of 6 interviews 1 hour each. Some were 1:1 and others were 2:1. Each interview was different depending on the person. Some has specific questions, some wanted to talk through my experience. Overall just being at the Foundation for 8 hours was a little overwhelming. The interviews were pretty normal.

Interview Questions

• clearly no one had read my resume or even cared about it. I had spell out everything that was already included on the resume, as well as the items you generally discuss. Make no assumption that any preliminary effort was made before each interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They changed hiring managers in the middle of the recruitment process. The first hiring manager had discussed a higher salary plus relocation, upon actual offer they offered substantially less with no relocation. After over a week of going back and forth they increased the salary a bit (not to the original offer ranger) and paid for relocation.

Graduate Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Baltimore, MD) in March 2012.

Interview

Submitted resume and cover letter through career fair. Get a 30min interview after a week. Most of them are general behavioral questions. They want you to tell them your research experience. What is your career goal and why do you want to work for them.

Grants Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA) in October 2011.

Interview

I received an email advising a request for a phone interview. On the phone interview the recruiter immediately set my expectations that they are reviewing several candidates and that any information would not be relayed to me for a few weeks. The interview lasted about 45 minutes and consisted of general resume questions and scenario questions.

IT Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA) in July 2011.

Interview

Applied directly on the Gates Foundation website. One week later I received an email from HR to schedule a phone interview with a senior HR person. All my interactions with the Gates Foundation during the interview process, was professional friendly and helpful, even when telling you you didn't make the cut they were friendly. The only issues I had I was the waiting 6 weeks to find out I didn't make the cut to move on the next level.

Deputy Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA) in April 2011.

Interview

* Contacted by a recruiter.
    * 1:1 phone interview with recruiter.
    *1:1 interview with Gates HR recruiter.
    *1:1 phone interview with Director.
    * Series of in person interviews with 6 staff members.
    The campus is absolutely awesome. It is LEED certified gold. The work space is open and only the higher levels have closed office space. However, there are a lot of Focus Rooms where you can go to work. They have a great cafe in a beautiful atrium. There is a coffee bar and a great selection of food. All food is organic. However it's not particularly cheap.
    The people, hit or miss. Seems like the average age is 28-38. There are a ton of folks who were at Starbucks or Microsoft.

Interview Questions

• What can you offer our team, which is already staffed with experts?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The relocation package was stellar, but they increased the signing bonus after reconsidering the impact on our family.
    * Relocation includes:
    - corporate housing (domestic location usually includes 30 days; international relocation varies. also your level of hire impacts if you eceive relocation coverate)
    - signing bonus (amount varies and seems to be negotiable)
    - reimbursement
    - moving (packing and unpacking, as well as 30 days storage)
    - week long trip with the family to Seattle (includes airfare, hotel stay, costs during stay)
    - school consultant (if you have children to relocate) and reloaction agent (real estate agent)

Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA) in April 2011.

Interview

I first heard from a recruiter about two weeks after applying online. I emailed a contact I have there as soon as I applied, and I think the referral I got from her helped me to get through the resume screening process (the recruiter later told me they had hundreds of applicants for the position). The recruiter set up a time to talk to me and told me to plan for about a 45-minute call. We ended up talking for less than half an hour, and it was all very basic (i.e. questions about my resume and background and lots of time for me to ask questions). She told me I would hear back the next week and the following week I got an email to set up a time to talk to the hiring manager. This conversation was around 45 minutes and was more questions about my resume and experience. A few days after that I heard from a different recruiter who set up a time for me to come in, and I spent four hours at the Foundation the following week (this is now a month after the initial contact). I spoke to the people I will be working with as well as higher-level people and the recruiter. Most of the questions were again about my background, and everyone I spoke to gave me time to ask questions as well. This is not an interview where anyone will try to trick you, and it's much more about making sure the person they hire is a good fit and is dedicated to the mission of the organization. It was overall a good experience and I would recommend focusing on why you are qualified and what you can bring to the position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Keep in mind that the benefits here add a LOT to the offer. The extraordinarily generous retirement contributions and top-notch health coverage mean you end up with more money in your pocket, and the support they give their employees can make a slightly lower salary worth it.