Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Interview Questions

Updated Aug 2, 2015

Program Coordinator Temporary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA) in June 2013.

Interview

I contacted a temp agency that interviewed me. They then sent me to another temp agency onsite at the foundation for a second interview. That agency set up a third interview with the department. The department interview was round-robin with three different people.

Interview Questions

• Why am I going the temp route?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The temp agency basically told me what I was going to get paid.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA) in June 2013.

Interview

Process began with telephone interviews with recruiter and then hiring manager. Was invited for onsite interviews with others in the Dept and also functional client group leaders. Great people, amazing work. I was disappointed not to be offered position to join the team, however will continue to watch the incredible outcomes the foundation supports in Global Health & US Education.

Interview Questions

• "If you wrote a book on how to be the best HR Business partner - tell me what is in your table of contents" Excellent question!   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in June 2013.

Interview

Was contacted by someone from HR. Friendly person who told me about "the foundation" which I already read about on website. I was sad that I was getting a sales pitch during my talk time. First interview was 1 hour long. I was told the hiring process would be 60 or so days from today. That is far to slow for me.

Interview Questions

• What mistake have you made and what was the impact of the mistake?   Answer Question

APO Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA) in June 2013.

Interview

Each interview had a very different description of the job...none of which was in the job description.

Interview Questions

• General inconsistency. Very focused on new research without any interest in leveraging existing education research   Answer Question

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA).

Interview

After an initial interview with the external agency and online MS Office skills assessment, multiple 1:1 interviews were held on campus with the members of the team with whom the selected candidate would be working. The campus is stunning, and everyone was professional and welcoming. LinkedIn was part of the post-interview due diligence, but none of the supplied references were contacted.

Interview Questions

• All questions were related to perceived lapses in experience or skills with respect to the duties and responsibilities of the position, offering the opportunity to clarify and elaborate upon the information contained in the resume.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA) in December 2012.

Interview

campus recruitment

Interview Questions

• 43. Describe a creative solution to a problem you faced? 44. What was the last technology you learned?   Answer Question

Senior Program Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA) in November 2012.

Interview

Applied online August 2012. Received first phone call 3 months later from hr recruiter for first screen. She spent the precious interview time to discourage me to pursue the process since I mentioned I had another opportunity coming soon. She was supposed to contact me back to answer some questions but she never followed up. I learned online I was not selected...never ha'd opportunity to discuss my interest or background. If you want to get a chance to reach the hiring manager....consider to lie on your current working status.

Interview Questions

• Not expecting to have to deal with a purely administrative question.... The interview was supposed to review my credentials and interest.... I had to deal with unprofessional hr staff.   Answer Question

Grants Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA) in May 2012.

Interview

After submission of my application online it took about two weeks for a recruiter to reach out to me. After initial contact I went through two phone interviews and was then invited to Seattle for a full day of interviews. This took a full 8 hour day and consisted of 6 interviews 1 hour each. Some were 1:1 and others were 2:1. Each interview was different depending on the person. Some has specific questions, some wanted to talk through my experience. Overall just being at the Foundation for 8 hours was a little overwhelming. The interviews were pretty normal.

Interview Questions

• clearly no one had read my resume or even cared about it. I had spell out everything that was already included on the resume, as well as the items you generally discuss. Make no assumption that any preliminary effort was made before each interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They changed hiring managers in the middle of the recruitment process. The first hiring manager had discussed a higher salary plus relocation, upon actual offer they offered substantially less with no relocation. After over a week of going back and forth they increased the salary a bit (not to the original offer ranger) and paid for relocation.

Graduate Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Baltimore, MD) in March 2012.

Interview

Submitted resume and cover letter through career fair. Get a 30min interview after a week. Most of them are general behavioral questions. They want you to tell them your research experience. What is your career goal and why do you want to work for them.

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Washington, DC) in February 2012.

Interview

Very long process. Multiple rounds of interviews with different levels ... Must care about the mission of the organization Be prepared to speak about projects you worked on ... Multitasking Being able to put out fires Overachievers welcomed