Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Updated Oct 30, 2014

3.3

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Program Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in October 2014.

First is the initial phone interview with the recruiter. I had two for two different positions. They were both very different interviews. However the recruiters were really professional and knowledgeable about the position, and the foundation. I can respect a place and its employees when they are upfront and honest. After the first phone interview they said they would pass my information on to the hiring manager for review and then I would have another phone interview depending upon the review of my resume and notes from the first interview. The hiring process can take up to a couple of months.

Interview Questions
  • The questions really relate to why you want the job and how you feel you qualify. Review you resume and have an understanding of what they are looking for in a candidate.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

My interviewer (an HR employee) was incredibly rude. For instance, they asked me why my degree even mattered since I was applying for an administrative position, even though the administrative job description listed research directly relating to my degree field as one of the job tasks. Job interviews go both ways, and my interviewer did not portray the Gates Foundation in a positive light. At first I was disappointed that I did not get the job but looking back I am so glad that I do not work for the Gates Foundation if it has such a negative work environment.

Interview Questions
    • Why does your degree even matter since this is an administrative position?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Interview process was straightforward - five interviewers across four or five hours. Seemed to be a bit much for an assistant position, but is now the norm many places. Some of the interviewers seemed to be lost on the interview process and had trouble answering my questions. However, the interviewers were extremely candid about the negatives surrounding the job - which I was taken aback by.

Interview Questions
    • The scenario-based questions were tough, but as long as you know your experience and how it can apply, you should be okay.   View Answer

Program Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in June 2013.

A few weeks after applying online I was contacted by an HR recruiter and had an initial phone interview. Common questions-- Why do you want to work at the foundation, how do you deal with conflict, etc. If they were interested I would meet with 3 to 4 individuals for one on one interviews.

Interview Questions
    • A question was asked something to the effect of my experience with Capitol Hill politics.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in April 2011.

I received a phone interview from applying online. The phone interview went well and the Recruiter even mentioned that she as going to pass my information along to a Hiring Manager and asked why I hadn't applied sooner. I felt that it was very positive. However, I was not contacted and didn't received a response to any of my follow up emails for three weeks.

Interview Questions
    • They questions were very basic. Please go over you resume ith me in detail and elaborate on your experiences. Why do you want to work for the Gates Foundation? What are you hoping to get out of our conversation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in January 2010.

I applied on-line and got a call back within a week. Two phone interviews (about 1 hour each), then a day-long person-by-person interview at the office. They basically parked me in a conference room and had a new person come in and meet with me every hour. Lunch provided.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were mostly centered on my past experience. Overall, it is difficult to say what was the most difficult question. Most of my interviews were more "getting to know you" interviews   Answer Question
    Very little negotiation on my part. The Gates Foundation uses a very fair salary calculation, basing the starting salary on experience and average salary of others currently in the same position, already working at the Foundation. I found the offer and benefits package very nice.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in February 2009.

I was surprised that I had to be brought in three separate times to interview. Each time the recruiters were scrambling to find individuals to interview me (due to original people being out sick). I was also surprised that during the interviews the people interviewing me were late, or not even sure of what they were asking/looking for in an assistant.

To be fair, 2 of the 4 people who interviewed me are no longer with the foundation (due to their own decision), and it was these two who were the least prepared.

Interview Questions
    • "If person A asks you to schedule meetings, but then person B asks you to make travel arrangements, and then person C tells you to drop everything and do their tasks - what would you do and how would you prioritize?"   View Answer
    • "Have you ever created secure portals on a SharePoint site, and if you have explain how you did it"   View Answer
    There was no negotiating; I felt that the offer given to me was fair albeit much lower than what I was making at a for-profit corporation ($12,000 less!).