Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
www.gatesfoundation.org Seattle, WA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Program Coordinator Interview Questions & Reviews

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in April 2011.

Interview Details – I first heard from a recruiter about two weeks after applying online. I emailed a contact I have there as soon as I applied, and I think the referral I got from her helped me to get through the resume screening process (the recruiter later told me they had hundreds of applicants for the position). The recruiter set up a time to talk to me and told me to plan for about a 45-minute call. We ended up talking for less than half an hour, and it was all very basic (i.e. questions about my resume and background and lots of time for me to ask questions). She told me I would hear back the next week and the following week I got an email to set up a time to talk to the hiring manager. This conversation was around 45 minutes and was more questions about my resume and experience. A few days after that I heard from a different recruiter who set up a time for me to come in, and I spent four hours at the Foundation the following week (this is now a month after the initial contact). I spoke to the people I will be working with as well as higher-level people and the recruiter. Most of the questions were again about my background, and everyone I spoke to gave me time to ask questions as well. This is not an interview where anyone will try to trick you, and it's much more about making sure the person they hire is a good fit and is dedicated to the mission of the organization. It was overall a good experience and I would recommend focusing on why you are qualified and what you can bring to the position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Keep in mind that the benefits here add a LOT to the offer. The extraordinarily generous retirement contributions and top-notch health coverage mean you end up with more money in your pocket, and the support they give their employees can make a slightly lower salary worth it.

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in February 2009.

Interview Details – You must complete a fair amount of paperwork, mostly regarding background check, prior to the 1:1 interview. The recruiting coordinators are responsive and provide clear instructions and directions beforehand, but there was no follow up regarding the decision in the end. You might need to check your "status" online instead.

Interview Question – How do you feel about data entry? with data entry   Answer Question

Program Coordinator

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Interview Details – The interview process was long - 2 in-person and 1 phone interview. The last in-person interview was about 3 hours, meeting with 4-5 panels of different people who essentially asked the same questions. Several of the interviewers were unprofessional and most were currently in the same position as the one I was interviewing for. Only one senior-level person was present, even though the position supports several senior project officers. It seemed like the whole interview process was about finding someone who had the personality that would 'fit in,' while work experience wasn't heavily emphasized.

Interview Question – What was the most difficult thing that happened to you in the last year?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Worked for Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation? Contribute to the Community!

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Videos

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation – Why Work for Us?

We are inspired by the mission, All Lives Have Equal Value, and compelled by the opportunity to make an impact -- before, during, and after our time at the foundation. Experienced, and highly engaged, we set… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Program Coordinator interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation employees and interview candidates.