Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

www.gatesfoundation.org

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Program Coordinator Interview Questions

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in April 2011.

I first heard from a recruiter about two weeks after applying online. I emailed a contact I have there as soon as I applied, and I think the referral I got from her helped me to get through the resume screening process (the recruiter later told me they had hundreds of applicants for the position). The recruiter set up a time to talk to me and told me to plan for about a 45-minute call. We ended up talking for less than half an hour, and it was all very basic (i.e. questions about my resume and background and lots of time for me to ask questions). She told me I would hear back the next week and the following week I got an email to set up a time to talk to the hiring manager. This conversation was around 45 minutes and was more questions about my resume and experience. A few days after that I heard from a different recruiter who set up a time for me to come in, and I spent four hours at the Foundation the following week (this is now a month after the initial contact). I spoke to the people I will be working with as well as higher-level people and the recruiter. Most of the questions were again about my background, and everyone I spoke to gave me time to ask questions as well. This is not an interview where anyone will try to trick you, and it's much more about making sure the person they hire is a good fit and is dedicated to the mission of the organization. It was overall a good experience and I would recommend focusing on why you are qualified and what you can bring to the position.

Interview Questions
Keep in mind that the benefits here add a LOT to the offer. The extraordinarily generous retirement contributions and top-notch health coverage mean you end up with more money in your pocket, and the support they give their employees can make a slightly lower salary worth it.

Other Interview Reviews for Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in February 2009.

You must complete a fair amount of paperwork, mostly regarding background check, prior to the 1:1 interview. The recruiting coordinators are responsive and provide clear instructions and directions beforehand, but there was no follow up regarding the decision in the end. You might need to check your "status" online instead.

Program Coordinator Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

The interview process was long - 2 in-person and 1 phone interview. The last in-person interview was about 3 hours, meeting with 4-5 panels of different people who essentially asked the same questions. Several of the interviewers were unprofessional and most were currently in the same position as the one I was interviewing for. Only one senior-level person was present, even though the position supports several senior project officers. It seemed like the whole interview process was about finding someone who had the personality that would 'fit in,' while work experience wasn't heavily emphasized.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult thing that happened to you in the last year?   Answer Question