Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Interview Questions in Seattle, WA

Updated Jun 8, 2015

Program Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I had two sessions of over 30 minutes interview on phone. It took a while to fix a date for the first interview with the HR recruiter. On both occasions, the questions were fair and both the HR interviewer and hiring manager very friendly.

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA).

Interview

The interview process is long and tedious, but I found the people to be very friendly and gracious throughout. Be prepared to answer the same basic questions about yourself for each person that comes in.

Program Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

I interviewed by phone first, which was standard. My in-person interview lasted all day, with one-on-one interviews from 4-6 members of the team. The interviews took place in various locations, but mostly in one of their small meeting rooms. At least one was by telephone-conference.

For such a high-end outfit I was a bit disappointed. They were late several times, had glitches with the technology, and at least one interviewer was rude, questioning my reasons for applying, and insinuating on the spot I wasn't cut out for the environment.

I was notified by phone that I did not get the position and told it was going to someone else. Ironically, I have since seen the position posted multiple times.

Senior Program Officer, Global Health Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA) in December 2014.

Interview

It was a series of back to back 1:1 interviews with key team members. Nothing too difficult. Some Interviewers were more prepared than others, for example, some clearly had only just glanced at my resume, while others had very specific questions.

Interview Questions

• What was your leadership, technical, and disease specific experience?   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA).

Interview

My interviewer (an HR employee) was incredibly rude. For instance, they asked me why my degree even mattered since I was applying for an administrative position, even though the administrative job description listed research directly relating to my degree field as one of the job tasks. Job interviews go both ways, and my interviewer did not portray the Gates Foundation in a positive light. At first I was disappointed that I did not get the job but looking back I am so glad that I do not work for the Gates Foundation if it has such a negative work environment.

Interview Questions

• Why does your degree even matter since this is an administrative position?   1 Answer

Senior Program Officer Global Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Interview started witha screening call from HR and went on to a full day of interviews. People that work with the position being offered came in and out of the room to interview throughout the day.

Operations Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Hired on after being a temp for a few months. The organization decided I was the best fit for the position after months of periodic extension via a temp agency. So, the natural thing was to hire me, considering I'd done the job very well.

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA) in February 2014.

Interview

Within the following week of my application, they called me up. So good timing in that regard.

Interview Questions

• After 15 minutes on the phone with a recruiter, was deemed not a good fit without specifically pinpointing why I was not a good fit. Also, I was mildly insulted when the recruiter mentioned they will keep me in mind if there is a "lower ranking position" in the same department that opens up.   1 Answer

Associate Program Officer, Global Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I applied to the position through a former colleague and therefore got a response within a day. A half hour phone interview was scheduled for later that week. That call described the position in more detail and asked questions mostly relating to my employment history and specific skills, such as describing my experience with cost-benefit analysis. Following this interview, I was invited out to Seattle for an in-person interview with five members of the team. Each person had a different "set" or "theme" of questions to ask, such as culture (e.g. What's your work style?), motivation (Where do you see your career in five years?), and fitness (Describe a time you had to work on a project you knew nothing about. What did you do?). The role was also further clarified, and I was invited to ask questions myself. Because one of the team members was unavailable that day, I had a follow-up phone interview with him two days later that was more technical (e.g. What do you see as the biggest challenge in conducting cost-benefit analysis for health programs?). I received the offer one week after this phone call.

Interview Questions

• "If we hired another candidate instead of you, what do you think that candidate would have that you do not?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was told from the outset that they were not able to negotiate much. I asked for more than their initial offer and received half of what I asked for, as well as pushed back the start date.

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Interview process was straightforward - five interviewers across four or five hours. Seemed to be a bit much for an assistant position, but is now the norm many places. Some of the interviewers seemed to be lost on the interview process and had trouble answering my questions. However, the interviewers were extremely candid about the negatives surrounding the job - which I was taken aback by.

Interview Questions

• The scenario-based questions were tough, but as long as you know your experience and how it can apply, you should be okay.   1 Answer