Biltmore Company

Updated Oct 7, 2014

2.8

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Asheville, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Biltmore Company.

Interview process was very thorough. Hiring managers are very dedicated to hiring the right fit for the team and making sure that the interviewee has a good understanding of the position and that it would be a good fit for what they are looking for.

Interview Questions
    I was extremely satisfied with the offer and did not need to negotiate.

Cashier - Winery Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Asheville, NC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Biltmore Company in April 2012.

One in-person interview
    Interviewed with an assistant manager. Asked about previous customer service experience and potential scheduling conflicts. I mentioned a connection I had to a former employee and I was immediately presented with an offer, which I accepted.
    This position was part-time, and I was seeking seasonal employment.

No negotiation.

Sous Chef Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Biltmore Company in December 2010.

I applied online and received a phone call from the chef about a week after. We spoke briefly on the phone and set a time for an interview. I met with the Chef and the GM. We talked for approximately 30 minutes about my education, my cooking experience and my travels. They asked me several "what would you do if?" type questions. I don't recall them exactly, but I do remember thinking that they were not looking for a specific answer or type of answer, but instead were looking to see that I had any answer at all.

After this interview I was asked to cook a three course meal from a mystery basket the contents of which were designed to test my basic cooking skills as well as my creativity and thoughtfulness. In retrospect, some of the ingredients were probably more for the chef's entertainment than anything else. As I said previously the food was not ambitious cooking or really all that creative because the lion's share of the guests were local families on day trips to the estate or retired tourists. Therefore the food had to be friendly and recognizable to a lot of people.

I was given 3 hours to cook and serve my courses to the Chef, the GM and the other Sous Chefs.

Following the tasting I was asked to interview a third time; this time was with the Director of Food and Beverage for the entire estate. This was a fairly comfortable conversation: I think it is probably mandatory for directors to sign off on any new management hires.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question had something to do with how I would reprimand someone. I found it difficult because I was interviewing for a job in a very large company and although it is technically a single family owned company there is a very corporate feeling to the culture. I knew that dealing with a difficult staff member in an environment like this would be much different from how I could or would handle a cook in and small independent restaurant.   Answer Question
    They asked me what kind of money I would like to earn. I told them that my expected range was in the upper 30's. They offered $38,000 and I accepted.

Pastry Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Biltmore Company in September 2010.

Interview process what relatively quick, felt like they did a great job at the career fair to usher along the process.

Carriage Driver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Asheville, NC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Biltmore Company in April 2010.

Driving ability of a 12 passenger horse carriage.

Reservation and Ticket Host Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Biltmore Company.

They like you to go to their main office down town and apply in person. There they will give you a personality test. Then you will go through 2 or 3 interviews before they make an offer.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle stressful situations.   View Answer