BioMarin Pharmaceutical

Updated Dec 16, 2014
Updated Dec 16, 2014

2.8

Research Associate II Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BioMarin Pharmaceutical.

Applied through the bmrn.com website. Heard back from HR a few months later with an invitation to have a phone interview with the hiring manager.

Phone interview consisted of the hiring manager explaining the position and what they were looking for. Also asked about availability and previous, relevant work experience.

Two weeks to a month later I was offered an in-person interview, with all travel and accommodations paid for.

In person interview was a superday consisting of several hour long interviews with scientists and directors in the department, a tour of their site in Novato, and a free lunch with potential coworkers.

Interviewers asked about previous work experience, and asked personality questions to get to better know how I operated. I didn't feel the interview was too difficult, but I came prepared.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a problem you encountered in your past career experience and discuss how you came to a solution.   Answer Question
    Aimed high. Got everything I wanted and more.

Manufacturing Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at BioMarin Pharmaceutical.

Got the interview from a career fair at my University. Consisted of 3 20-minute interviews with 3 panels of 2 people each. They went over what they do, and asked which department seemed like the best fit for me. Asked about my hobbies, my interested, and how that all would relate to my work at the company.

Senior Manager, Data Architecture & Corporate Reporting Interview

I've applied for BI Architect position online and I was contacted after a month or so for telephone interview. After clearing the telephone interview, I was scheduled for onsite interview with 6 - 7 people. Received the offer after clearing all these steps

It was not that difficult. We had some flexibility built into the negotiations

Manufacturing Associate/Technician - Temp Interview

I applied online – interviewed at BioMarin Pharmaceutical in October 2014.

I received a phone call asking to set up at time for a phone interview. I had the phone interview. Questions were a set of predetermined questions, mostly about my experience. Then a month went by until an in person interview at the company was set up. The whole process took about 4 hours. Meet with all the different supervisors. they brought in predetermined questions to ask me where they wrote stuff down from what i said.

Manufacturing Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BioMarin Pharmaceutical in October 2014.

I applied online. After a month, got a phone call to schedule a phone interview. After the phone interview, I was supposed to be contacted by HR for an on-site interview sometime a week later. Since I hadn't heard back in that week, I thought I wasn't chosen. Was surprised to get a call back about five week later asking to schedule for an on-site panel interview. Interview was about 2 and half hours long. I felt like some of the supervisors didn't care to interview me or was just disinterested. A lot of the same questions were asked so it was hard to come up with different answers, so I pretty gave the same answer. It's been more than three weeks and haven't heard back from HR- no rejection or offer as of yet.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a company policy you disagree with and what did you do.   Answer Question

Research Associate II (Temp) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novato, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novato, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at BioMarin Pharmaceutical in September 2014.

Very positive experience. Can tell that everyone loved working there. Very bright and easy going people that made you feel comfortable. Almost all day interview with lunch. 4 different groups all asked about my past experience so had to repeat my story 4 times.

Interview Questions
    • If you can only do 1 task in the lab all day what would you pick to do?   Answer Question

Overall better offer from another job.

Research Associate Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BioMarin Pharmaceutical in August 2014.

I applied for the position via a hiring agency. Within a week I had the phone interview with the manager and was offered a on-site second interview on the spot. They were looking to fill the position ASAP so the whole process was very quick. Both interviews were very informal and mainly focused on seeing if I would be a good fit for the company. I really enjoyed the interview and the team was very positive about the work they do and their work life.
    Only downside was that after the second interview it seemed as if I was going to be given an offer -- the manager talked about HR and how long it would take me to get all set up. I had to wait for almost two weeks to hear back from the staffing agency to notify me I did not get the job. According them another senior candidate had an inside referral and was given the position.

Interview Questions
    • Your 5 years plan -- if you're like me and plan on leaving to get higher education (MS PhD) I recommend emphasizing that it's way down the road.   Answer Question

Manufacturing Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at BioMarin Pharmaceutical.

The interview process was pretty standard, about 6 groups with about two people each asking questions about experience, what you would do in certain situations, and any skill sets you have.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult questions seemed to be giving multiple examples to the same questions.   Answer Question

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Rafael, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Rafael, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at BioMarin Pharmaceutical in June 2014.

I have met more than 8 people, they were all very respectful and professional. It was not difficult at all if you know what are you doing. The HR conducted everything and I came in from across state. Hiring manager was very understanding. It was a great experience.

Smooth

Associate Director MAO Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at BioMarin Pharmaceutical in May 2014.

1. There are obviously no processes in place to address the departure of ONE recruiter such that the open positions for which said recruiter was responsible, and those candidates that were in the process, did not "fall through the cracks".

2. Rather than be responsible and professional and admit that you have 'dropped the ball' and apologize for devaluing a candidate's time, (BioMarin) offered UNACCEPTABLE excuses ("It's summertime and we take vacations and then there are holidays too") as to why they 'dropped the ball', while a candidate waited for weeks in complete silence assuming as anyone would, that she did not get the position. Thinking that I had not been selected, as many companies do not extend the common courtesy of a status update, I continued my active search for employment.

3. If BioMarin thinks so little of me as a candidate, why would they treat me any differently as an employee? How do they treat their clients? Is this any indication of how they conduct business?

It would behoove BioMarin and all other companies for that matter, to reevaluate their current beliefs about the hiring process. That is to say, because I am a candidate seeking employment, that does not mean that I am desperate for employment or at any disadvantage. When a candidate is invited for an interview, you and your colleagues will be poised and ready to ask many questions with the intent of gathering information to assess whether or not they are a good fit for the position. Candidates would be wise to ask their own questions for the same reason, to assess whether or not the position, the company and its culture, are a best fit for them. And a face to face interview is the perfect forum for a candidate to gather information on how they would be treated as an employee by simply paying attention to how they are treated during the hiring process. In short, the interview process is a two way street with mutual respect and courtesy extended.

In short, this company's conduct after the face to face and prior to extending an offer was unprofessional and disrespectful.

see the previous dialogue