BioMarin Pharmaceutical

Relevance Date Difficulty

Research Technician Interview

Research Technician
Novato, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BioMarin Pharmaceutical in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online through an employee referral. Hr contacted me with a phone interview then invited me on site for a 2.5 hr interview process for 4 panels, 9 people. The questions were straight forward and they just asked for me to elaborate on my resume. The experience was pleasant.

Interview Question – Most bizarre question was: "Out of all the windows operating systems, which one is your favorite?"   Answer Question

Senior Specialist Interview

Senior Specialist
Novato, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BioMarin Pharmaceutical in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for the position online and received a call from the hiring manager. After a phone interview with 2 managers in the department I had a phone screen with the recruiter. We scheduled an on-site interview for the following week. During the on-site interview I met with 8 people, including direct team members and functional areas with whom I would be working closely. Everyone was friendly and seemed happy to be working for the company. I received feedback within 1 week as promised. My overall impression was that the company and the team were very organized, thoughtful and very focused on finding the person who would both meet the qualifications and be a good fit. They were willing to wait for the right fit. Although the position had been posted for a long time the process went pretty quickly from interview to offer.

Interview Question – There weren't any difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The negotiation phase was short and amicable. It was clear that they put a lot of effort and thought into the offer.

Analyst I (Temp, Contract to Hire) Interview

Analyst I (Temp, Contract to Hire)
Novato, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at BioMarin Pharmaceutical in March 2014.

Interview Details – Got an interview through a recruiter. First had an interview with manufacturing, but missed out on the opportunity to someone else. The interview panel at manufacturing liked me and sent my information to other departments. A couple weeks later, I was invited in for another in-person interview for a QC Analyst job.

The interview took place over two hours. I met with four groups of 5-6 people each, and each group interviewed me. The questions were pretty straightforward; mostly explaining stuff on my resume in more detail and tying it all to the job I was applying for. Some behavioral questions as well, to see if I would be a good fit for the group. Not everyone on the panel asks questions, some just sit there while the most senior members do the talking. The panel also talks about the job responsibilities, giving a good opportunity for you to show how you can take on these responsibilities.

For the most part, the interview process was very relaxed, as this was just an entry-level position. But make sure you're prepared; do your research on the position and the company. It's hard to land an interview without a recruiter.

Interview Question – Explain the responsibilities that you had at this job   View Answer

Negotiation Details – N/A - Temp position with hourly wage, done by recruiter

Novato, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BioMarin Pharmaceutical in February 2014.

Interview Details – 30 minute phone interview. Face to face interview within a week. Meet with 5 different 2 person teams from the various manufacturing sectors within the company

Interview Question – Name a time you have failed at a task. What did you do afterwards and what did you learn?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The job was listed as full-time employment. During the phone interview I was asked if I would consider a temp position and I told them I would not leave a full-time job with benefits for a temp position. I interviewed and was later offered a temp-to-hire position.

Very Easy Interview

Senior Research Associate Interview

Senior Research Associate
Novato, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at BioMarin Pharmaceutical.

Interview Details – Hiring and interview process was pretty straight forward. HR emailed me to schedule a in person interview. There was no phone screen by the hiring manager. Most employees who interviewed were quite nice but ill prepared for the interview. The process was pretty disorganized.

Interview Question – No technical questions. Most of the interview were related to how my previous employer accomplished tasks.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation phase was easy and straight forward.

Research Associate Temp Interview

Research Associate Temp
Novato, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BioMarin Pharmaceutical.

Interview Details – Had a phone interview then an in-person interview with 3 different group of people followed by a tour of the facility . Prepare yourself to repeat your story 3 times at least. Got hired and I love it here

Interview Question – If you were stranded on a deserted Island in the middle of the ocean and you could only have 5 things what would they be?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Novato, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BioMarin Pharmaceutical in October 2013.

Interview Details – I became acquainted with the company through a recruiter that thought I would be a good fit for the company. The complete process from resume submission to getting the offer took 2-3 weeks. I had an initial phone screen wherein they asked typical interview questions which lasted about 30 mins. The second step was a 2.5-3 hour back to back interview with the supervisors. The questions were mostly behavioral, with very few technical questions thrown here and there. In hindsight, I feel like I over-prepared by studying the company website since the questions asked were very broad and behavioral. If you have a semblance of laboratory experience, the interview should be a breeze. I suggest not stressing out about it because it's an entry-level position and they don't really expect too much. I got the offer less than 48 hours after the second round of interviews.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult or unexpected if you prepared. Just go through resources online for typical interview questions.   Answer Question

Senior Specialist Interview

Senior Specialist
Novato, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BioMarin Pharmaceutical in July 2013.

Interview Details – Communication was made by hiring manager, then largely coordinated by HR. Started with hiring manager phone screen, then all-day on-site interview, followed by brief interview from HR.

Interview Question – Describe three weaknesses?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The negotiation was straightforward as the HR department had put a lot of effort into the offer. The offer was very competitive and exceeded my expectations. It was a no brainer to accept it.

Novato, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at BioMarin Pharmaceutical.

Interview Details – I initially applied at a university career fair after speaking with three Biomarin representatives. About a month and a half later, I was contacted by a supervising manager to schedule a phone interview the following week. The phone interview went smoothly and I was invited in for a face-to-face two weeks later. During the face-to-face, I met with five sets of supervisors from different areas of the manufacturing department. Most of the questions they asked focused on technical skills and fit. Overall, all the interviewers I met with were genuinely friendly and seemed to be very invested in their jobs. The entire interview process took about 3 hours, however because it was very well organized, it just felt like a very fluid conversation. I was notified of their hiring decision within a week after the interview.

Interview Question – What are the essential factors to preserve in a cell culture?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – didn't negotiate

IT Intern Interview

IT Intern
Novato, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BioMarin Pharmaceutical in May 2012.

Interview Details – The job description was extremely clear about what the organization expected from the IT Intern, with project level details. My experience and education matched well with the job requirements, so I applied.

I had a group interview with the ERP Director and CSV (Computer Systems Validation) on board. The interview was conversational in nature aimed at exploring my experience relevant to the job requirement. Both interviewers were helpful in explaining the position to me and what they expected to achieve over the limited timeframe of the summer internship. Detailed technical questions were asked about the software platforms I worked in and the projects in general.

This was followed by a HR interview with regular behavioral questions.

Interview Question – Since you already have the kind of experience required for the job, what learning opportunities does this job present to you?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for BioMarin Pharmaceutical? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BioMarin Pharmaceutical interview questions and advice in San Francisco, CA. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by BioMarin Pharmaceutical employees and interview candidates.