Biogen Idec

Updated Nov 13, 2014

3.1

Business Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at Biogen Idec in September 2014.

Phone screen, one-day marathon F2F interview. Challenging role, meaningful dialogue with most interviewers. Liked everyone with whom I spoke. Appreciated the mission, challenges. Everyone was gracious during our time together. Black hole. No contact since interview.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were related to the role, which was new to Biogen Idec. Was very comfortable with their line of questioning.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Biogen Idec.

Easy if you know someone. Otherwise they drill you a lot to select the best candidate. People are nice and friendly. Most of them internationals if you are into sciences. They will explain the requirement very well. So you will go in with some understanding of what is expected from you.

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I applied online – interviewed at Biogen Idec.

Initial phone screen followed by an on site visit/interview. The phone screen was handled by a human resources member who asked mainly all non technical questions. Very polite and friendly

Interview Questions
    • On the phone the most difficult question is the standard strength/weaknesses question   Answer Question

Senior Information Technology Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Biogen Idec in June 2014.

I arrived half an hour early to make sure I got there on time. I wanted to freshen up after commuting an hour by public transportation and walking in the rain. Security refused to let me use a rest room and two of them chatted and joked around rather than one of them letting me use the restroom. The people interviewing me were all late due to the rain. I never received an itinerary and didn't know with whom I would be meeting. The first one to arrive took me to the wrong conference room (unbeknownst to me until later). Once she left, I was supposed to call the next person to interview me since he was not coming in to the office. While I was on the call, a group of people who had reserved the conference room came in and asked me to leave. The whole thing was an unpleasant mess.

Medical Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Biogen Idec.

3 rounds with presentation

Data Entry Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Biogen Idec in February 2014.

I acquired this position through a temp agency and the interview process could not have been more relaxed and enjoyable. Everyone I met was very nice and did not seem pressed for time or on edge in any way. The process consisted of a phone interview with my direct supervisor and an in-person interview with my direct supervisor and her supervisor. If you are looking for Temporary or Part-time positions I would recommend Biogen Idec.

Interview Questions
    • There were no trick questions when it came to this interview. The interviewer asked straight forward questions about my qualifications for the position, and I answered accordingly.   Answer Question

Senior Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Biogen Idec in November 2013.

My resume was passed along to the hiring manager by someone in her group who was acquainted with someone I knew in grad school. I had way less experience than they were looking for (0 yrs instead of 8+ yrs), but they were willing to interview someone without the management experience who still had the right science qualifications. A few weeks after I submitted my resume, I got an email to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was 25 min long and mostly consisted of the hiring manager telling me about the position. At the end of the phone interview, she asked to set up an on-site interview. We decided to discuss possible dates for the interview over email. HR was very slow about getting back to me regarding interview dates, so some of the organizing was done through the hiring manager as well. The interview consisted of three meetings with 6-8 people total in the morning, followed by a lunch-time seminar. People interrupted (not in a rude way) and asked questions during the seminar, so the seminar was something of a discussion. I had lunch with one person in the cafeteria, then additional interviews with higher level people in the afternoon. Overall the experience was very positive. The interviewers were genuinely interested in my research, and were very open about their experiences working at Biogen. With the exception of one interviewer, everyone seemed to love working at Biogen.

Interview Questions
    • One of the last interviewers told me that Biogen Idec is very good about letting people expand their knowledge and expertise outside of their immediate research. She asked how I would take advantage of this opportunity.   View Answer

Scientist I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Biogen Idec.

I applied to the posted position through the online portal, but was only contacted after I had my résumé forwarded to the hiring manager by a network contact. An initial phone interview with the hiring manager lasted about 45 minutes and covered a variety of topics, including scientific questions and thoughts on organization and management style. I was then invited for an informal interview with the hiring manager at an off-site location. After the informal interview, I was invited for a full on-site interview. The on-site interview consisted of an hour long seminar (given by me), followed by short 30 min interviews with various team members and department heads. These ranged from very informal conversations to formal interview sessions. In all, I spoke with 5 or 6 different team members as well as the hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you leaving academics? What has been your most challenging work situation?   Answer Question
    I received the initial details of the offer by phone and received an official written offer by FedEx the next day. To be honest, the salary was very generous and I focused my negotiations on other areas, such as subsidized childcare. There was no movement on that front. In the end, I was satisfied with the offer and accepted.

Associate Scientist II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Biogen Idec in September 2013.

Received an email from HR a day after applying for the position that they were interested and wanted to schedule a phone interview for the very next day. So I scheduled it and it was again the typical interview about why I wanted to work their and asked many questions about my current experience, salary expectations and if I was willing to relocate ASAP if I got the offer, which I said yes to. Then I sent a follow up thank you email and did not hear back. The following week I got a call from another person in HR to schedule a phone interview (very last minute, again for the next day) with the Hiring manager and 2 other scientists in the group (3 on 1 phone interview?). She asked first asked me to go through my experiences and schooling which I did and then she took one thing I said and asked me a difficult technical questions about something in particular in my research that I should have known, I guess..But was not prepared for. When I didn't sound confident answering I knew they did not want to proceed with me. She said I would hear back by the next day but they never got back to me. I emailed everyone I spoke to during the interview process and not ONE person got back to me regarding my candidacy. Rude, if you ask me.

Interview Questions
    • Explain the chemical reaction taking place in [insert assay].   Answer Question

Associate Scientist III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Biogen Idec in September 2013.

Was initially contacted by outside recruiter who set up a phone interview with manager. The phone interview was about 30 minutes long and included some basic questions about my background and some discussion about the role responsibilities. It was a cordial interview and I was selected for the next round of interviews. The next interview took place at Biogen Idec where I was scheduled to meet with five different people for 30 minutes each. Everyone was extremely pleasant and cordial and I felt very comfortable with the interview. The questions regarded my scientific background and what I can bring to the position. Nobody tried to "trick" me with any questions and it was very professional.

Interview Questions
    • I felt comfortable with my level of knowledge through the full interview and nobody attempted to test me with "difficult" questions.   Answer Question
    Negotiated salary through recruiter only, I asked for increases in salary based on my level of expertise and was satisfied with the final offer.