Biogen Idec

Getting the Interview

75 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Medical Writing Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Biogen Idec in January 2014.

Interview Details – Submitted resume online for Principal Medical Writer. A contact I know at the company steered me toward the HR rep who handles Med Writing positions and I contacted him with a "heads up" on my online application. The HR representative contacted me to schedule a phone screen. Phone screen seemed to go well, but several follow-ups yielded no further responses.

Department seems to be undergoing some changes; an Assoc Dir position that initially attracted me had been filled by the time I was contacted--only to re-appear after my phone screen with a description for a "Lead Medical Writer."

Post-script: As of this posting (2 months later) the positions are still open.

Interview Question – What do you think the company can offer you in the way of career development.   View Answer

Summer Intern Interview

Boston, MA

I interviewed at Biogen Idec in June 2011.

Interview Details – Telephone interview only

Interview Question – what is your goal in Biogen idect   Answer Question

Scientist I Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Biogen Idec.

Interview Details – Day consisted of a 1 hour presentation of my previous research work and 5-6 half hour interviews. I was expected to ask many questions in the one-on-one interviews. Interviewers arrived with my resume in hand, but seemed to be more interested in having a conversation than asking challenging questions. I was expected to have a very firm handle on the job description. The earlier phone interview was largely to describe the position. Multiple applicants for this job were interviewed within 3-4 days.

Interview Question – Describe what most interests you about this position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offer was quite fair when compared to local market. I was unable to push the salary offer, but I was offered a very comprehensive relocation package.

Medical Director Interview

Medical Director
Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Biogen Idec.

Interview Details – 3 rounds with presentation

Interview Question – Do you like open space working environment   Answer Question

Assistant Director, Human Resources Interview

Westford, MA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Biogen Idec in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for a assistant director-level position and interviewed with 6 people during an in-person marathon interview. Each person had been allotted 45 minutes to meet with me and thankfully they did provide me a bagged lunch. (11am-4pm). For the most part, there was very little enthusiasm that I picked up on from the hiring manager. As she described the role, it felt less and less like one that I'd enjoy but I maintained my interest. I followed up with the recruiter and the hiring manager after the interviews to thank them for their time and consideration.

I never received *any* follow up with anyone to let me know if the position had been filled or that I was no longer being considered. Even if it doesn't turn out to be the right fit, why is it that it is acceptable to not have the decency to get back to candidates after an interview?

Interview Question – Nothing that wasn't expected. Standard questions about past experience and a lot of telling me about the job and how it fit into the larger framework of the department.   Answer Question

Associate III Interview

Interviewed at Biogen Idec

Interview Details – I was converted from a contractor to a FTE. I was a contractor for about one year and a half.

Interview Question – How would you improve on the processes you already have?   Answer Question

Process Engineer II Interview

Process Engineer II

I applied online and interviewed at Biogen Idec.

Interview Details – Job was posted in late SEP 2013. I applied in late OCT. Interviewed by site HR phone screen within 2 weeks. On site interview mid-NOV. Interview was with hiring DIrector, VP marketing and QS Sr. Manager as well as dept staff (2). This was a back fill for someone that left the role in early August. My impression was that the role posted was not the appropriate level for the job,

Interview Question – Sr. DIR RA asked (via phone interview) "If you were hired, what would make you walk out the door".   Answer Question

Senior Scientist Interview

Senior Scientist
Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Biogen Idec in November 2013.

Interview Details – My resume was passed along to the hiring manager by someone in her group who was acquainted with someone I knew in grad school. I had way less experience than they were looking for (0 yrs instead of 8+ yrs), but they were willing to interview someone without the management experience who still had the right science qualifications. A few weeks after I submitted my resume, I got an email to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was 25 min long and mostly consisted of the hiring manager telling me about the position. At the end of the phone interview, she asked to set up an on-site interview. We decided to discuss possible dates for the interview over email. HR was very slow about getting back to me regarding interview dates, so some of the organizing was done through the hiring manager as well. The interview consisted of three meetings with 6-8 people total in the morning, followed by a lunch-time seminar. People interrupted (not in a rude way) and asked questions during the seminar, so the seminar was something of a discussion. I had lunch with one person in the cafeteria, then additional interviews with higher level people in the afternoon. Overall the experience was very positive. The interviewers were genuinely interested in my research, and were very open about their experiences working at Biogen. With the exception of one interviewer, everyone seemed to love working at Biogen.

Interview Question – One of the last interviewers told me that Biogen Idec is very good about letting people expand their knowledge and expertise outside of their immediate research. She asked how I would take advantage of this opportunity.   View Answer

Manufacturing Associate II Interview

Manufacturing Associate II
Raleigh, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Biogen Idec in June 2012.

Interview Details – I worked as a contract employee for 1.5 years, and at this point it was basically "suggested" that I apply for a permanent position, and things went pretty smoothly from that point forward. Management seems to know who they want to keep pretty quickly, and use the contract time as a way to evaluate suitability for positions in manufacturing.

Interview Question – "Tell me about a time you failed." This one threw me for a loop (I should have been prepared for it, but I seemed to have missed it during all my interview prep). I simply wasn't prepared, and didn't have a ready example. I had to wing it, and I'm pretty sure the interviewer knew.   Answer Question

Computational Biology Interview

Interviewed at Biogen Idec

Interview Details – 25 minutes phone scream section

Interview Question – what is your career goal   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Biogen Idec

Worked for Biogen Idec? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Biogen Idec interview questions and advice. All 75 interview reviews posted anonymously by Biogen Idec employees and interview candidates.