Biogen Idec Interview Questions

Updated Aug 16, 2014
Updated Aug 16, 2014

3.1

Case Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Biogen Idec.

First interview was completed by a third party with standard behavioral based interview questions. Then a second interview was conducted in person by two supervisors with similar style questioning. Both supervisors were personable and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had a conflict with a manager and how you resolved it.   Answer Question
    No negotiations took place. It was my first job out of college.

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

interviewed at Biogen Idec in June 2011.

Telephone interview only

Scientist I Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Biogen Idec.

Day consisted of a 1 hour presentation of my previous research work and 5-6 half hour interviews. I was expected to ask many questions in the one-on-one interviews. Interviewers arrived with my resume in hand, but seemed to be more interested in having a conversation than asking challenging questions. I was expected to have a very firm handle on the job description. The earlier phone interview was largely to describe the position. Multiple applicants for this job were interviewed within 3-4 days.

Interview Questions
    Offer was quite fair when compared to local market. I was unable to push the salary offer, but I was offered a very comprehensive relocation package.

Medical Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Biogen Idec.

3 rounds with presentation

Assistant Director, Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Westford, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westford, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Biogen Idec in July 2013.

I applied for a assistant director-level position and interviewed with 6 people during an in-person marathon interview. Each person had been allotted 45 minutes to meet with me and thankfully they did provide me a bagged lunch. (11am-4pm). For the most part, there was very little enthusiasm that I picked up on from the hiring manager. As she described the role, it felt less and less like one that I'd enjoy but I maintained my interest. I followed up with the recruiter and the hiring manager after the interviews to thank them for their time and consideration.

I never received *any* follow up with anyone to let me know if the position had been filled or that I was no longer being considered. Even if it doesn't turn out to be the right fit, why is it that it is acceptable to not have the decency to get back to candidates after an interview?

Interview Questions
    • Nothing that wasn't expected. Standard questions about past experience and a lot of telling me about the job and how it fit into the larger framework of the department.   Answer Question

Associate III Interview

I was converted from a contractor to a FTE. I was a contractor for about one year and a half.

Interview Questions
    • How would you improve on the processes you already have?   Answer Question

Process Engineer II Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Biogen Idec.

Job was posted in late SEP 2013. I applied in late OCT. Interviewed by site HR phone screen within 2 weeks. On site interview mid-NOV. Interview was with hiring DIrector, VP marketing and QS Sr. Manager as well as dept staff (2). This was a back fill for someone that left the role in early August. My impression was that the role posted was not the appropriate level for the job,

Interview Questions
    • Sr. DIR RA asked (via phone interview) "If you were hired, what would make you walk out the door".   Answer Question

Senior Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Biogen Idec in November 2013.

My resume was passed along to the hiring manager by someone in her group who was acquainted with someone I knew in grad school. I had way less experience than they were looking for (0 yrs instead of 8+ yrs), but they were willing to interview someone without the management experience who still had the right science qualifications. A few weeks after I submitted my resume, I got an email to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was 25 min long and mostly consisted of the hiring manager telling me about the position. At the end of the phone interview, she asked to set up an on-site interview. We decided to discuss possible dates for the interview over email. HR was very slow about getting back to me regarding interview dates, so some of the organizing was done through the hiring manager as well. The interview consisted of three meetings with 6-8 people total in the morning, followed by a lunch-time seminar. People interrupted (not in a rude way) and asked questions during the seminar, so the seminar was something of a discussion. I had lunch with one person in the cafeteria, then additional interviews with higher level people in the afternoon. Overall the experience was very positive. The interviewers were genuinely interested in my research, and were very open about their experiences working at Biogen. With the exception of one interviewer, everyone seemed to love working at Biogen.

Interview Questions
    • One of the last interviewers told me that Biogen Idec is very good about letting people expand their knowledge and expertise outside of their immediate research. She asked how I would take advantage of this opportunity.   View Answer

Manufacturing Associate II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Biogen Idec in June 2012.

I worked as a contract employee for 1.5 years, and at this point it was basically "suggested" that I apply for a permanent position, and things went pretty smoothly from that point forward. Management seems to know who they want to keep pretty quickly, and use the contract time as a way to evaluate suitability for positions in manufacturing.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time you failed." This one threw me for a loop (I should have been prepared for it, but I seemed to have missed it during all my interview prep). I simply wasn't prepared, and didn't have a ready example. I had to wing it, and I'm pretty sure the interviewer knew.   Answer Question

Computational Biology Interview