Biogen Idec Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2015

Medical Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Biogen Idec (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

3 rounds with presentation

Associate III Interview

Interview

I was converted from a contractor to a FTE. I was a contractor for about one year and a half.

Interview Questions

• How would you improve on the processes you already have?   Answer Question

Data Entry Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Biogen Idec (Cambridge, MA) in February 2014.

Interview

I acquired this position through a temp agency and the interview process could not have been more relaxed and enjoyable. Everyone I met was very nice and did not seem pressed for time or on edge in any way. The process consisted of a phone interview with my direct supervisor and an in-person interview with my direct supervisor and her supervisor. If you are looking for Temporary or Part-time positions I would recommend Biogen Idec.

Interview Questions

• There were no trick questions when it came to this interview. The interviewer asked straight forward questions about my qualifications for the position, and I answered accordingly.   Answer Question

Process Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Biogen Idec.

Interview

Job was posted in late SEP 2013. I applied in late OCT. Interviewed by site HR phone screen within 2 weeks. On site interview mid-NOV. Interview was with hiring DIrector, VP marketing and QS Sr. Manager as well as dept staff (2). This was a back fill for someone that left the role in early August. My impression was that the role posted was not the appropriate level for the job,

Interview Questions

• Sr. DIR RA asked (via phone interview) "If you were hired, what would make you walk out the door".   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Biogen Idec in January 2014.

Interview

No change to the interview from March 2014, but I've noticed that I get hits for these positions at various job sites and the company's own website still shows the positions as vacant since March / April 2014. I was told that the company seems to value advanced degrees over experience and this seems to be the case. Call it "sour grapes" if you must, but I think it's a shame that the company values someone who sequesters themselves in a lab for years on end more than someone who spent those same years (and more) in the workplace--particularly in the realm of clinical research, for which there are no degree programs.

Claiming a high percentage of advanced degrees among their workforce is certainly a selling point, but they could be missing out on a lot of qualified candidates--ESPECIALLY with so many colleges and universities nearby. Can they REALLY afford to pass on a Harvard, Northeastern, or MIT graduate just because they lack a Master's degree? If you don't want them, another company will.

Interview

25 minutes phone scream section

Senior Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Biogen Idec (Cambridge, MA) in November 2013.

Interview

My resume was passed along to the hiring manager by someone in her group who was acquainted with someone I knew in grad school. I had way less experience than they were looking for (0 yrs instead of 8+ yrs), but they were willing to interview someone without the management experience who still had the right science qualifications. A few weeks after I submitted my resume, I got an email to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was 25 min long and mostly consisted of the hiring manager telling me about the position. At the end of the phone interview, she asked to set up an on-site interview. We decided to discuss possible dates for the interview over email. HR was very slow about getting back to me regarding interview dates, so some of the organizing was done through the hiring manager as well. The interview consisted of three meetings with 6-8 people total in the morning, followed by a lunch-time seminar. People interrupted (not in a rude way) and asked questions during the seminar, so the seminar was something of a discussion. I had lunch with one person in the cafeteria, then additional interviews with higher level people in the afternoon. Overall the experience was very positive. The interviewers were genuinely interested in my research, and were very open about their experiences working at Biogen. With the exception of one interviewer, everyone seemed to love working at Biogen.

Interview Questions

• One of the last interviewers told me that Biogen Idec is very good about letting people expand their knowledge and expertise outside of their immediate research. She asked how I would take advantage of this opportunity.   1 Answer

Quality Control Associate I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Biogen Idec (Durham, NC) in November 2013.

Interview

I applied myself for two positions through the Biogen Idec website in August and September 2013; never got any calls back. Applied through a temp agency in September 2013 to a different position and also never heard back. Finally, a different temp agency submitted me for yet another position at the end of October 2013. Two weeks later I was called in for an interview. The member at the temp agency made sure I was well prepared. Mid-November I had my interview with two individuals. The next day I was called back with an offer to start beginning of December.

Interview Questions

• What are the first three things you will do if you are hired?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The offer came to the temp agency and they accepted on my behalf. No negotiation, but we had agreed on a range.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Biogen Idec.

Interview

I had two phone interviews and then spent a half-day interviewing on site. A month has passed and I have not even receieved a rejection letter. Just no follow-up... A written response would at least be respectful of the time I spent interviewing and on the super long application form.

Associate Scientist I, Technical Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Biogen Idec (Research Triangle Park, NC) in October 2013.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter from a human resources company, then contacted by an employee at Biogen for a phone interview. The phone interview was very friendly, questions about knowledge relevant to job. Was invited for an in-person interview, met with 6 different people with different seniority levels. All seemed friendly, and asked a lot of technical questions as well as personality type questions. I was told I would hear back from them within 2 weeks, but never did even after checking in with them at the 2 week mark via email. The recruiter told me I did not get the job only after I emailed her to ask what the status was a month after my interview. Similar thing happened in the Spring when I applied for a different job at Biogen, except they did let me know I didn't get the job within a month's time. Reason I didn't get the job the first time was due to an internal hire they had already planned before interviewing me. No reason was given to me the second time.

Interview Questions

• No real difficult questions. Lots of technical questions about cell culturing and previous research experiences.   Answer Question