Biogen Idec

Updated Feb 5, 2015
Updated Feb 5, 2015

Data Entry Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Biogen Idec in February 2014.

I acquired this position through a temp agency and the interview process could not have been more relaxed and enjoyable. Everyone I met was very nice and did not seem pressed for time or on edge in any way. The process consisted of a phone interview with my direct supervisor and an in-person interview with my direct supervisor and her supervisor. If you are looking for Temporary or Part-time positions I would recommend Biogen Idec.

Interview Questions
    • There were no trick questions when it came to this interview. The interviewer asked straight forward questions about my qualifications for the position, and I answered accordingly.   Answer Question

Process Engineer II Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Biogen Idec.

Job was posted in late SEP 2013. I applied in late OCT. Interviewed by site HR phone screen within 2 weeks. On site interview mid-NOV. Interview was with hiring DIrector, VP marketing and QS Sr. Manager as well as dept staff (2). This was a back fill for someone that left the role in early August. My impression was that the role posted was not the appropriate level for the job,

Interview Questions
    • Sr. DIR RA asked (via phone interview) "If you were hired, what would make you walk out the door".   Answer Question

Medical Writing: Follow-up Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Biogen Idec in January 2014.

No change to the interview from March 2014, but I've noticed that I get hits for these positions at various job sites and the company's own website still shows the positions as vacant since March / April 2014. I was told that the company seems to value advanced degrees over experience and this seems to be the case. Call it "sour grapes" if you must, but I think it's a shame that the company values someone who sequesters themselves in a lab for years on end more than someone who spent those same years (and more) in the workplace--particularly in the realm of clinical research, for which there are no degree programs.

Claiming a high percentage of advanced degrees among their workforce is certainly a selling point, but they could be missing out on a lot of qualified candidates--ESPECIALLY with so many colleges and universities nearby. Can they REALLY afford to pass on a Harvard, Northeastern, or MIT graduate just because they lack a Master's degree? If you don't want them, another company will.

Computational Biology Interview

25 minutes phone scream section

Senior Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Biogen Idec in November 2013.

My resume was passed along to the hiring manager by someone in her group who was acquainted with someone I knew in grad school. I had way less experience than they were looking for (0 yrs instead of 8+ yrs), but they were willing to interview someone without the management experience who still had the right science qualifications. A few weeks after I submitted my resume, I got an email to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was 25 min long and mostly consisted of the hiring manager telling me about the position. At the end of the phone interview, she asked to set up an on-site interview. We decided to discuss possible dates for the interview over email. HR was very slow about getting back to me regarding interview dates, so some of the organizing was done through the hiring manager as well. The interview consisted of three meetings with 6-8 people total in the morning, followed by a lunch-time seminar. People interrupted (not in a rude way) and asked questions during the seminar, so the seminar was something of a discussion. I had lunch with one person in the cafeteria, then additional interviews with higher level people in the afternoon. Overall the experience was very positive. The interviewers were genuinely interested in my research, and were very open about their experiences working at Biogen. With the exception of one interviewer, everyone seemed to love working at Biogen.

Interview Questions
    • One of the last interviewers told me that Biogen Idec is very good about letting people expand their knowledge and expertise outside of their immediate research. She asked how I would take advantage of this opportunity.   View Answer

Quality Control Associate I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Biogen Idec in November 2013.

I applied myself for two positions through the Biogen Idec website in August and September 2013; never got any calls back. Applied through a temp agency in September 2013 to a different position and also never heard back. Finally, a different temp agency submitted me for yet another position at the end of October 2013. Two weeks later I was called in for an interview. The member at the temp agency made sure I was well prepared. Mid-November I had my interview with two individuals. The next day I was called back with an offer to start beginning of December.

Interview Questions
    • What are the first three things you will do if you are hired?   View Answer
    The offer came to the temp agency and they accepted on my behalf. No negotiation, but we had agreed on a range.

Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Biogen Idec.

I had two phone interviews and then spent a half-day interviewing on site. A month has passed and I have not even receieved a rejection letter. Just no follow-up... A written response would at least be respectful of the time I spent interviewing and on the super long application form.

Associate Scientist I, Technical Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Biogen Idec in October 2013.

Contacted by recruiter from a human resources company, then contacted by an employee at Biogen for a phone interview. The phone interview was very friendly, questions about knowledge relevant to job. Was invited for an in-person interview, met with 6 different people with different seniority levels. All seemed friendly, and asked a lot of technical questions as well as personality type questions. I was told I would hear back from them within 2 weeks, but never did even after checking in with them at the 2 week mark via email. The recruiter told me I did not get the job only after I emailed her to ask what the status was a month after my interview. Similar thing happened in the Spring when I applied for a different job at Biogen, except they did let me know I didn't get the job within a month's time. Reason I didn't get the job the first time was due to an internal hire they had already planned before interviewing me. No reason was given to me the second time.

Interview Questions
    • No real difficult questions. Lots of technical questions about cell culturing and previous research experiences.   Answer Question

Attorney Interview

Was very informal, preliminary interview in which I met with the direct supervisor and then walked around the department and met with two or three others in the department. Had lunch at the Weston commissary and met other employees when they came over to speak. Not much discussion of hard facts [salary, hours, other expectations of job]

Interview Questions
    • Why would I want to come to such a big company when I was already working for a much smaller company, where the interviewer perceived I could have a much greater influence on the overall success of the company   Answer Question

Scientist I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Biogen Idec.

I applied to the posted position through the online portal, but was only contacted after I had my résumé forwarded to the hiring manager by a network contact. An initial phone interview with the hiring manager lasted about 45 minutes and covered a variety of topics, including scientific questions and thoughts on organization and management style. I was then invited for an informal interview with the hiring manager at an off-site location. After the informal interview, I was invited for a full on-site interview. The on-site interview consisted of an hour long seminar (given by me), followed by short 30 min interviews with various team members and department heads. These ranged from very informal conversations to formal interview sessions. In all, I spoke with 5 or 6 different team members as well as the hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you leaving academics? What has been your most challenging work situation?   Answer Question
    I received the initial details of the offer by phone and received an official written offer by FedEx the next day. To be honest, the salary was very generous and I focused my negotiations on other areas, such as subsidized childcare. There was no movement on that front. In the end, I was satisfied with the offer and accepted.