Biogen Idec

Biogen Idec Interview Questions

Updated Nov 13, 2014
Updated Nov 13, 2014

Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Biogen Idec.

I had two phone interviews and then spent a half-day interviewing on site. A month has passed and I have not even receieved a rejection letter. Just no follow-up... A written response would at least be respectful of the time I spent interviewing and on the super long application form.

Associate Scientist I, Technical Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Biogen Idec in October 2013.

Contacted by recruiter from a human resources company, then contacted by an employee at Biogen for a phone interview. The phone interview was very friendly, questions about knowledge relevant to job. Was invited for an in-person interview, met with 6 different people with different seniority levels. All seemed friendly, and asked a lot of technical questions as well as personality type questions. I was told I would hear back from them within 2 weeks, but never did even after checking in with them at the 2 week mark via email. The recruiter told me I did not get the job only after I emailed her to ask what the status was a month after my interview. Similar thing happened in the Spring when I applied for a different job at Biogen, except they did let me know I didn't get the job within a month's time. Reason I didn't get the job the first time was due to an internal hire they had already planned before interviewing me. No reason was given to me the second time.

Interview Questions
    • No real difficult questions. Lots of technical questions about cell culturing and previous research experiences.   Answer Question

Attorney Interview

Was very informal, preliminary interview in which I met with the direct supervisor and then walked around the department and met with two or three others in the department. Had lunch at the Weston commissary and met other employees when they came over to speak. Not much discussion of hard facts [salary, hours, other expectations of job]

Interview Questions
    • Why would I want to come to such a big company when I was already working for a much smaller company, where the interviewer perceived I could have a much greater influence on the overall success of the company   Answer Question

Scientist I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Biogen Idec.

I applied to the posted position through the online portal, but was only contacted after I had my résumé forwarded to the hiring manager by a network contact. An initial phone interview with the hiring manager lasted about 45 minutes and covered a variety of topics, including scientific questions and thoughts on organization and management style. I was then invited for an informal interview with the hiring manager at an off-site location. After the informal interview, I was invited for a full on-site interview. The on-site interview consisted of an hour long seminar (given by me), followed by short 30 min interviews with various team members and department heads. These ranged from very informal conversations to formal interview sessions. In all, I spoke with 5 or 6 different team members as well as the hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you leaving academics? What has been your most challenging work situation?   Answer Question
    I received the initial details of the offer by phone and received an official written offer by FedEx the next day. To be honest, the salary was very generous and I focused my negotiations on other areas, such as subsidized childcare. There was no movement on that front. In the end, I was satisfied with the offer and accepted.

Patient Services Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Biogen Idec in September 2013.

I found the job on LinkedIn through an employment agency and applied. I got a call a couple days later from the agency and was asked to come in to speak with them. I spoke with two different people and took a few aptitude tests and was told to apply online to Biogen's website. A few days later I received an email from Biogen's HR department with an interview date and time (almost two weeks in the future). I interviewed at the RTP location with two people. The interview was situational based questions. All questions were to be answered in the STAR format. My interviewers were VERY polite and personable. We spent about 20 minutes talking after the interview while we waited for the HR lady to come get me. I was very pleased with the experience and left the interview feeling very confident and hoping I'd get the job offer. The next day a little after 5pm, I was called by a member of HR and offered the position. I accepted without hesitation!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had difficulty keeping up with a technology.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a challenge you faced that ended up being more difficult than originally anticipated.   Answer Question
    There was not negotiation. They told me the terms and I agreed. There is a base salary and bonuses plus excellent benefits.

Associate Scientist II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Biogen Idec in September 2013.

Received an email from HR a day after applying for the position that they were interested and wanted to schedule a phone interview for the very next day. So I scheduled it and it was again the typical interview about why I wanted to work their and asked many questions about my current experience, salary expectations and if I was willing to relocate ASAP if I got the offer, which I said yes to. Then I sent a follow up thank you email and did not hear back. The following week I got a call from another person in HR to schedule a phone interview (very last minute, again for the next day) with the Hiring manager and 2 other scientists in the group (3 on 1 phone interview?). She asked first asked me to go through my experiences and schooling which I did and then she took one thing I said and asked me a difficult technical questions about something in particular in my research that I should have known, I guess..But was not prepared for. When I didn't sound confident answering I knew they did not want to proceed with me. She said I would hear back by the next day but they never got back to me. I emailed everyone I spoke to during the interview process and not ONE person got back to me regarding my candidacy. Rude, if you ask me.

Interview Questions
    • Explain the chemical reaction taking place in [insert assay].   Answer Question

Associate Scientist III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Biogen Idec in September 2013.

Was initially contacted by outside recruiter who set up a phone interview with manager. The phone interview was about 30 minutes long and included some basic questions about my background and some discussion about the role responsibilities. It was a cordial interview and I was selected for the next round of interviews. The next interview took place at Biogen Idec where I was scheduled to meet with five different people for 30 minutes each. Everyone was extremely pleasant and cordial and I felt very comfortable with the interview. The questions regarded my scientific background and what I can bring to the position. Nobody tried to "trick" me with any questions and it was very professional.

Interview Questions
    • I felt comfortable with my level of knowledge through the full interview and nobody attempted to test me with "difficult" questions.   Answer Question
    Negotiated salary through recruiter only, I asked for increases in salary based on my level of expertise and was satisfied with the final offer.

Senior Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Biogen Idec.

Generally unscripted interviews with individuals. Some behavioral questions ("Tell us about a time when you...") but not frequent. More so detail on what attracted you to the role, and what are you most proud of in your career, and what will make you successful in challenges in this role.

Interview Questions
    • When an interviewer tells you that you might need to change personnel to get the job done. Just sends a bad vibe of culture that replacing someone is easier than reforming, challenging, or improving them.   View Answer
    Do not be coy. Either accept or reject but don't play games.

Utility Operator III Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Biogen Idec.

On the day of the interview they scheduled me for a 3-4 hour meeting where I met and was interviewed by 4-5 people and given a tour.

Interview Questions
    They were set on the salary they offered.

Assistant Director, Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westford, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westford, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Biogen Idec in July 2013.

I applied for a assistant director-level position and interviewed with 6 people during an in-person marathon interview. Each person had been allotted 45 minutes to meet with me and thankfully they did provide me a bagged lunch. (11am-4pm). For the most part, there was very little enthusiasm that I picked up on from the hiring manager. As she described the role, it felt less and less like one that I'd enjoy but I maintained my interest. I followed up with the recruiter and the hiring manager after the interviews to thank them for their time and consideration.

I never received *any* follow up with anyone to let me know if the position had been filled or that I was no longer being considered. Even if it doesn't turn out to be the right fit, why is it that it is acceptable to not have the decency to get back to candidates after an interview?

Interview Questions
    • Nothing that wasn't expected. Standard questions about past experience and a lot of telling me about the job and how it fit into the larger framework of the department.   Answer Question