Biogen Idec Scientist I Interview Questions & Reviews

6 interviews

2.6

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Scientist I Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Biogen Idec.

Day consisted of a 1 hour presentation of my previous research work and 5-6 half hour interviews. I was expected to ask many questions in the one-on-one interviews. Interviewers arrived with my resume in hand, but seemed to be more interested in having a conversation than asking challenging questions. I was expected to have a very firm handle on the job description. The earlier phone interview was largely to describe the position. Multiple applicants for this job were interviewed within 3-4 days.

Interview Questions
Offer was quite fair when compared to local market. I was unable to push the salary offer, but I was offered a very comprehensive relocation package.

Other Interview Reviews for Biogen Idec

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I interviewed through other source. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Biogen Idec.

I applied to the posted position through the online portal, but was only contacted after I had my résumé forwarded to the hiring manager by a network contact. An initial phone interview with the hiring manager lasted about 45 minutes and covered a variety of topics, including scientific questions and thoughts on organization and management style. I was then invited for an informal interview with the hiring manager at an off-site location. After the informal interview, I was invited for a full on-site interview. The on-site interview consisted of an hour long seminar (given by me), followed by short 30 min interviews with various team members and department heads. These ranged from very informal conversations to formal interview sessions. In all, I spoke with 5 or 6 different team members as well as the hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you leaving academics? What has been your most challenging work situation?   Answer Question
    I received the initial details of the offer by phone and received an official written offer by FedEx the next day. To be honest, the salary was very generous and I focused my negotiations on other areas, such as subsidized childcare. There was no movement on that front. In the end, I was satisfied with the offer and accepted.

Anonymous Employee  in  Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I interviewed through other source. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Biogen Idec in May 2012.

Do not get deceived by the smiles of the potential co-workers, watch every word you say.The worst experience of my life. I had 4 phone calls followed by an on-site group interview.

There is a huge lack of communication and trust.

Anonymous Employee  in  Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Biogen Idec in May 2009.

1 HR screen, 2 phone interviews, onsite interview for one day with 8 individuals and presentation, and 1 further phone interview. Long process, however everybody I spoke to was interesting and interested. Overall, it was not a very technical set of interviews but it is advised to be ready with many examples from your career as you do end up speaking to a lot of different people throughout the process.

Scientist I Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Biogen Idec.

I applied to a position online and I received an email about this position 2-3 weeks later to arrange for a phone interview. After my phone interview I waited for 1.5 more weeks for a phone call requesting a face-to-face interview. The interview was scheduled for 2 weeks later. Everyone I spoke to was very polite and the assistant made sure I had travel plans to go to the interview. She They gave me detailed instructions on what to bring with me for my interview so I was prepared. When I arrived at the building all I had to do was speak to the security guard to get checked-in. The person I spoke with during the phone interview came to pick me up and brought me to his office. After I spoke with him I spoke with another veteran of the company. Then we took a break for lunch where I met other employees who are already in the position I am applying for. My last interview of the day consist of a 4:1 interview where RA IV and up employees interviewed me. The last 4:1 interview consists of a lot of specific and detailed question aboutchemistry. Overall Everyone was very polite and friendly. Everyone greeted each other in the hallways and the environment was very bright.

Scientist I Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Biogen Idec in January 2008.

The position is a Ph.D. level one so it included a seminar and one on one interviews with Directors, scientist, and associates in addition to an HR representative. Each interview lasted approximately 30 minutes. The longest part was the one hour seminar which was attended by the interview panel as well as other members of the company. Pretty standard for this level of position.

Interview Questions
    • Please name two of Biogen Idec's marketed drugs and the indications.   View Answer
    Did not negotiate but I would have done so if I could take it back.

Worked for Biogen Idec? Contribute to the Community!