Birst

Updated Dec 10, 2014

2.2

Performance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Birst in December 2014.

Interview process was simple with recruiter contacting me and then setting up phone followed by onsite. The phone went fine and then i went for onsite. It did not seems like really understand the requirement of the job that well and asked me questions which has no relevance to the job profile. Anyways i answered most of them. Then i was asked to wait for the last interviewer ( how rude !!!) as he did not show up or was late to office even at 12.00 p.m . The interviewers shows up and tell me that he is happy to meet me but will not have time to talk to me. Which company would not have time to talk to people whom they intend to hire or interview ? I was totally put off and decided not to waste any more of my time.

Interview Questions
    • None. They pretty much knew very little of the job profile so kept asking all random stuff.   Answer Question

Java Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Birst.

Got a call from HR. It was basic round of Intro and he sent a quiz link.for online coding test in java.
    There were 3 questions which were kind of difficult.

Still waiting for further rounds.

Interview Questions
    • Find the count of trees in magicForest? Magic forest consist of trees provided there is no edge from one tree to another and one more condition(dont remember).   View Answer

Sales Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Birst.

Straightforward but very disappointed and frustrated. Why would you put me through 5 interviews in a 2 week span when you don't even have the headcount to hire anyone for this position? Very disappointed

Principal Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Birst.

Received an initial phone call from the in-house recruiter. Initial phone screen went....okay. Nothing earth shattering. Recruiter was cold but cordial. Was then scheduled for a phone interview with the hiring manager which was made to sound like I was being asked to come in. They were using some new recruiting system and I guess I happened to be the trial run candidate for it (oh joy). Asked the recruiter about it and he said he'd check to see if the hiring manager wanted a f2f interview instead. They thought it would save a step so I was called in and I went down to their offices to meet with the hiring manager for about 30 mins....really not enough time to get a good impression of anyone. I wasn't all that impressed by the office with its open and crowded floor plan in the middle with the usual small meeting rooms/offices on the perimeter. They claim they'll be moving in October since they're getting crowded.

The hiring manager was very cold, distant, and he almost seemed perturbed to be in the same room with me. I could really sense this feeling of indifference and arrogance when I was there. Just not a good vibe at all.

I have a really hard time believing all the stellar reviews by employees of Birst, many of them having come from Sales and Business people. That doesn't surprise me but hardly paints an accurate picture of the company culture and what it's really like to work there. I was not at all impressed and the things that other candidates have written about are true, I think. There's just something not right about this place.

Java Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Birst in August 2014.

Hi,
    I post my resume on several job boards and in 3 days recruiter call me. He asked about my previous work about my education but did not asked any technical questions. Recruter was very positive I got the pleasure of communicating with him.

At the end he said that will send me an email with technical interview time. In 5 days I had technical interview.
    At that moment I was not ready. My english was very bad and I did not prepared for this interview but I decided to try. Interviewer asked only 2 questions: HashMap and LRU cache.

Birst/Lead Development Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Birst.

Head of the LDR group reached out to me to set up a time for an initial conversation. We set up a time, I left work early for the phone conversation and he no-showed on me without any phone call or email. I reached out to him to see what happened and he replied 45 mins later that he would call me in 15 mins. He then called me 1 hour later, by then I was frustrated and decided not to move forward.

I recommend that this company works on how they treat those in the interview process. He wasted 2 hours of my day. Birst doesn't seem to have it together.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Birst in June 2012.

The folks at Birst are very unprofessional. They set-up a phone interview with me - forgot to call me. Apologized profusely to me, so I spoke to them after about a weeks. That discuss was pretty good and they invited me onsite to interview with a few other folks and meet the team.

10 mts before my interview they called me to tell me that they have extended an offer to someone and they do not want to meet me - My onsite Interview was cancelled 10 mts before the scheduled time !!

They seem to be very unorganized and were very unprofessional !!!

Please make sure that you call them and confirm that your interview is still on - before you leave your house.

Customer Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Birst in May 2012.

Submitted online , recruiter called, then hiring manager - on the phone seemed Ok, however there was no meaningful questions - very superficial and standard. Agreed to meen in the office in a week. In person was even worth - the interviewer was late, seemed to be tired and could not care less about the meeting. There was not even one real question , seems like the most important thing is to fit into their party culture. Very uneasy feeling about the interview, something is not right in this organization!

Sales Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Birst in January 2012.

4 interviews and a presentation

Interview Questions
    • Knowing wht you now know of Birst, what priorities would you have if you were CEO?   Answer Question
    Reasonable