Birst Interview Questions

Updated Aug 19, 2015

2.6

Principal Business Intelligence Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Birst (San Francisco, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Contacted by head of recruiting and was followed by a 45 mins technical phone interview. The interview asked mainly SQL, ETL and data warehousing questions. Pretty standard questions; I thought I did quite good but was not selected.

Director of Customer Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Birst (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Very miserable interview process, bereft of discipline and respect for the candidates. It started with a phone call with one of the co-founders, the first attempt was cancelled, the second started 10 minutes late. Following that was a visit to their office for face to face meetings. Attendee list had two VPs, two support team members and the same co-founder. The first VP could not make it. He sent a manager from his organization who was visibly bored and could not care less about this role and the person who filled it, except making sure customers do not interrupt them at their work. The second VP showed up 15 minutes late to say he had something urgent and disappeared, leaving me doing nothing for 30 minutes. The support team members had no clue what they were looking for, except that whoever fills the role does not disrupt their life. The co-founder and I had a decent conversation, following which he promised to get back to me in two days, which he did, only to say he needed two additional days. Two weeks later he is not responding to emails and no feedback has been received. Given the way these guys operate, I am sure I could have helped them greatly, bringing discipline and focus on execution.

Customer Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Birst (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I was referred in to BIrst by a recruiter and had a detailed phone interview on a Wed. By the following Tuesday they had me in for an on-site meeting where I met with 3 folks from the hiring team. Everyone came across as easygoing, while the questions were quite detailed. They let me know immediately that things were going well, and told me they'd like me to meet with one of the founders; this happened Friday of the same week. Again, the mood was pleasant and the questions were very targeted. It came across as a combined skillset and cultural fit exam. I got quick feedback that they'd like me to give a presentation to the team, which happened the following Tuesday. They turned around an offer the following day. Interviewing at Birst was very positive, and a sharp contrast to the way may many firms approach the process these days. While Birst is a pre-IPO startup, they acted with great maturity and professionalism throughout. I've listed the dates above to demonstrate how quickly they move and make decisions. Read other interview reviews for companies that are not able to execute this way - many weeks and months are not uncommon turnaround times.

Interview Questions

• Describe a star schema (note: this was not a technical role)   Answer Question

Regional Sales Director Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Birst in February 2015.

Interview

I had a really positive interview experience. The recruiter who I worked with was Chris Clay and he was engaged throughout the entire process, would call me almost every day, made sure things were moving correctly, was respectful and got people involved as necessary. The people I interviewed with at Birst knew exactly what they wanted from the candidate (me) and when they were satisfied with application, they made an offer promptly. The whole process took 2 weeks from start to finish. The offer that they put together was extremely competitive and they met whatever I countered with. Things in the end fell through because of a clause in my previous employers agreement; however, I would love to go back and work at Birst. Great leadership team, solid product and a company ready to birst.

Interview Questions

• What's your selling style? Are you familiar with Challenger sales?   Answer Question

Performance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Birst (San Francisco, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Interview process was simple with recruiter contacting me and then setting up phone followed by onsite. The phone went fine and then i went for onsite. It did not seems like really understand the requirement of the job that well and asked me questions which has no relevance to the job profile. Anyways i answered most of them. Then i was asked to wait for the last interviewer ( how rude !!!) as he did not show up or was late to office even at 12.00 p.m . The interviewers shows up and tell me that he is happy to meet me but will not have time to talk to me. Which company would not have time to talk to people whom they intend to hire or interview ? I was totally put off and decided not to waste any more of my time.

Interview Questions

• None. They pretty much knew very little of the job profile so kept asking all random stuff.   Answer Question

Java Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Birst.

Interview

Got a call from HR. It was basic round of Intro and he sent a quiz link.for online coding test in java. There were 3 questions which were kind of difficult. Still waiting for further rounds.

Interview Questions

• Find the count of trees in magicForest? Magic forest consist of trees provided there is no edge from one tree to another and one more condition(dont remember).   1 Answer

Sales Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Birst.

Interview

Straightforward but very disappointed and frustrated. Why would you put me through 5 interviews in a 2 week span when you don't even have the headcount to hire anyone for this position? Very disappointed

Principal Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Birst (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Received an initial phone call from the in-house recruiter. Initial phone screen went....okay. Nothing earth shattering. Recruiter was cold but cordial. Was then scheduled for a phone interview with the hiring manager which was made to sound like I was being asked to come in. They were using some new recruiting system and I guess I happened to be the trial run candidate for it (oh joy). Asked the recruiter about it and he said he'd check to see if the hiring manager wanted a f2f interview instead. They thought it would save a step so I was called in and I went down to their offices to meet with the hiring manager for about 30 mins....really not enough time to get a good impression of anyone. I wasn't all that impressed by the office with its open and crowded floor plan in the middle with the usual small meeting rooms/offices on the perimeter. They claim they'll be moving in October since they're getting crowded. The hiring manager was very cold, distant, and he almost seemed perturbed to be in the same room with me. I could really sense this feeling of indifference and arrogance when I was there. Just not a good vibe at all. I have a really hard time believing all the stellar reviews by employees of Birst, many of them having come from Sales and Business people. That doesn't surprise me but hardly paints an accurate picture of the company culture and what it's really like to work there. I was not at all impressed and the things that other candidates have written about are true, I think. There's just something not right about this place.

Java Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Birst in August 2014.

Interview

Hi, I post my resume on several job boards and in 3 days recruiter call me. He asked about my previous work about my education but did not asked any technical questions. Recruter was very positive I got the pleasure of communicating with him. At the end he said that will send me an email with technical interview time. In 5 days I had technical interview. At that moment I was not ready. My english was very bad and I did not prepared for this interview but I decided to try. Interviewer asked only 2 questions: HashMap and LRU cache.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Birst.

Interview

Head of the LDR group reached out to me to set up a time for an initial conversation. We set up a time, I left work early for the phone conversation and he no-showed on me without any phone call or email. I reached out to him to see what happened and he replied 45 mins later that he would call me in 15 mins. He then called me 1 hour later, by then I was frustrated and decided not to move forward. I recommend that this company works on how they treat those in the interview process. He wasted 2 hours of my day. Birst doesn't seem to have it together.