Bishop Denis J Oconnell HS

1 candidate interview
Relevance Date Difficulty

Teacher Interview

Arlington, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bishop Denis J Oconnell HS in April 2012.

Interview Details – I saw a posting on their website. When I contacted them through email, I attached my resume. I was contacted by their faculty liaison (and head of the counseling department) who expressed interest in speaking with me, and we scheduled a two-part interview. The first part was in a conference room. I was asked about my previous experience teaching physics. They also asked me if I would be willing to teach a Calculus-based physics. I was willing, though I told them that I would need to undergo my own professional development to regain mastery of the material as I had not taught it before. I spoke with the principal, and the department chair, and then we moved to a classroom where I was to give a prepared lesson to an in-session class of students based on what they were currently learning (this required collaboration with the current teacher).

Interview Questions

• "Would you be willing to teach [insert class material you didn't do well on in college] at the AP level?"   View Answer
  • "How long would you be willing to commit to O'Connell?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They told me they offer 85% of what Fairfax County Public Schools pay. It was more than other Catholic Schools I know. They did not have any flexibility to negotiate, and their benefits package is not good.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Bishop Denis J Oconnell HS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bishop Denis J Oconnell HS interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Bishop Denis J Oconnell HS employees and interview candidates.