Black Duck Software

Updated Jan 17, 2015
Updated Jan 17, 2015

3.2

Technical Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Black Duck Software.

The hiring process was very informal. I was referred to the HR by a friend. I got a call a day later. The interviewer gave me very informal questions: he asked me my school year was going, what my plans were, and my experience in Java.

Software Engineer - Knowledge Base Interview

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Black Duck Software in December 2014.

I was contacted from Linkedin.

First the good parts:

- Communication with HR was nice
    - The team folks seem nice as well. Company office is lively. The VP seemed enthusiastic about the current and future work.

The bad parts(this was only because how things were handled in the end):
    - Slow interview process. It took close to 35 days to complete interview and have an offer
    - Please do not waste candidate's and their reference's time if the candidate and you have not even discussed the offer first.
    - The stock option is a gimmick to cover up the compensation. You _purchase_ shares, they are not free, and people are still waiting to get approval from Board to purchase those stocks after spending few years.

Interview Questions

Offer was not competitive considering the current market and candidate's experience.

Business Development Representative Interview

Phone Screen then in-person interview. Meeting with multiple people over the span of one and half hours to two hours. Most of the people were in the sales department but I also met with one person in the human resource department.

DHR Interview

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Black Duck Software in January 2014.

The hiring manager looked for referrals and asked for interested parties to call. While initially, he took a moment to hear how I may be qualified he abruptly stopped the dialogue, not based on skills or qualifications, but rather based on the size of previous companies worked for. Rather than being able to relate experience, he stated he did not want to waste my time or his because he knew that a candidate needed to work in his size company to be successful. While I can respect someone for knowing what they want, the abrupt nature of the hiring manager and shortsightedness was rather unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • It was difficult not being able to relate one's experience to the current needs to the company because of the hiring managers interview preference.   Answer Question

QA Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Black Duck Software.

Applied through LinkedIn.Got a call from the HR. Set up an interview with the Hiring Manager, called Onsite to meet the entire team of 9 people from Vice Prsident of the department to junior members, couldn't meet the manager and HR Vice president so was called again..went good.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation was made from their side. Did not budge on the offer,infact directly sent me the offer letter...

Engineering Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Black Duck Software in January 2012.

Don't waste your time if you have a job, unless you can remember everything from your college algorithm 101 days and can code the algorithm in 30 minutes. Apparently 10+ years of working experience really didn't matter if one can not come up and program Boyer-Moore majority voting algorithm in 30 minutes.