Black & Veatch Instrumentation and Controls Engineer III Interview Questions

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Instrumentation and Controls Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Black & Veatch in February 2011.

This company has NO ethics or integrity. STAY AWAY!!!

I applied online in November through an online careerbuilder-like site. I received a call in early January that they were interested. I had a brief (1/2 hour phone interview) with the group supervisor. They asked basic questions about my experience. It was easy for me since I had experience doing the exact same job for a larger and better company.

They called a couple weeks later to ask me to come in for a face to face interview. They didn't bring me in for the interview until the end of February. It consisted of meeting with 4-5 interviewers, some from the instrumentation and controls group, others from electrical. The electrical people had no idea about controls work, so I have no idea why I had to interview with them. All the interviews were pretty similar- questions about my work experience, why I want to work for B&V, and some behavioral questions. I was not very impressed with their preparedness or their interview skills; however I found it to be fairly easy as far as interviews go. Every interviewer asked pretty much the same questions each time. I also had lunch with a younger member of the group and the group supervisor. It was very informal, but was my only chance to speak with the group supervisor. It ended up being like a lunch interview with another employee watching, which was a bit strange.

After the interview I didn't hear anything for over a month. I called to follow up in March, and they said they were waiting to find out if they had enough work to hire me. I'm not sure why they were posting for the position if they didn't have enough work... but they finally called in early April to extend an offer. The salary was much lower than what i had been making before doing the exact same work, and they refused to hire me at the experience level posted in the position despite the fact that I had the requisite number of years experience. They told me I had about a month to decide. I tried to negotiate, but they would barely budge. I even asked them to come up $200 (yes, hundred) annually and I would accept on the spot. They said no.

Since I wanted to stay in the area, I went ahead and accepted their offer within a week of receiving the final document. In order to do this, I quit my old job and turned down several other offers in other parts of the country. I accepted on a Thursday via an online form and called HR to let them know. On Monday, I received an email with no text, only a pdf attachment, saying they were rescinding the offer based on "further consideration".

I tried calling HR several time and left voicemails. I also tried emailing several times. No response. I was able to get a hold of one person who interviewed me. He said they rescinded because I wasn't interested enough. Apparently taking a week to respond was too long, despite the fact it took them almost 5 months to extend an offer.

All in all, they probably did me a favor. A company who treats their employees with such a lack of respect and ethics is clearly not a company I would want to work for. The fact that HR didn't even have enough integrity and courage to call me back and explain the situation to me in person shows that this company does not care about doing right by their employees. I would strongly advise anyone considering accepting a position with their Cary office to proceed with extreme caution. Don't assume to you have a job even if you receive an offer and accept it.

Interview Questions
Company does not negotiate hardly at all. Was only able to get them to budge about $800, despite the fact that they were offering far less than other companies I have worked for.