Black & Veatch

Relevance Date Difficulty

Deputy Director - Engineering Unit Interview

Deputy Director - Engineering Unit
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Black & Veatch in April 2014.

Interview Details – Submitted a resume on line via the company website. The job had been out there for awhile, and my application was surely late in the process. An HR contact called and we had a long phone interview and conversation at the end of which she told me she was genuinely excited that she found me and would be recommending me as a prime candidate for the position. In the end I was too late, and by the time I had spoken with the HR contact, office management already had a final candidate that they were calling in to make an offer. My main point of confusion about the whole process is, if I was such a good candidate for the senior management position, why didn't they offer another open position. Beware the software extraction process now taking the larger companies by storm. Your electronic resume is scanned for key words and phrases rather than being read by a human being. Mine just happened to have the word Director in a prior position title. It becomes hit or miss with the mass resume submissions the HR departments need to deal with in this economy.

Interview Question – There were no unexpected questions, but the most difficult to answer is always..."How much are you looking to make" when it's early in the process.   View Answer

Project Controls Associate Interview

Project Controls Associate

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Black & Veatch in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied via Indeed.com. I received an email back from a recruiter asking for a more detailed resume. Once it was decided they would like to interview me, I had a phone interview with the Recruiter. They passed my resume to the Corporate office. I did a phone interview with multiple individuals from the corporate office. A few weeks later, I got a call for an in-person interview for the local office. I went in and met with three individuals from the local office. The entire process took about two months.

Interview Question – What do you have to contribute to our company.   View Answer

Engineering Tecjhnician III Interview

Engineering Tecjhnician III
Overland Park, KS

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Black & Veatch.

Interview Details – I was hired to the telecom division as a contract employee throught Aerotek in 2008. I was rolled over to a core employee after 2 1/2 years (2011). The hiring process consists of filling out an electronic application for B&V. After they review your application they will offer you a position with the company. After accepting the position, they run a background check and require a drug screen. This is all pretty standard stuff for a corporate job position.

Negotiation Details – There was not a negotiation process.

Project Controls Analyst Interview

Project Controls Analyst
Englewood, CO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Black & Veatch in May 2012.

Interview Details – When i interviewed with B&V it seem like a great fit and what they explained to me was exactly what I was looking for. However, when I started the job, things were nothing like they said. The interview seemed to test my skills, but it tested skills that I never had to put to use.

Interview Question – What is a weakness of yours.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was only able to negotiate the start date.

Civil Engineer I Interview

Civil Engineer I

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Black & Veatch in February 2014.

Interview Details – I got an interview in the career fair and they chose a campus interview for an half hour next day. It was in campus and I wait and wait but no one response.

Interview Question – The most likely and worst class you took ?   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources
Overland Park, KS

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Black & Veatch in September 2013.

Interview Details – Phone screen, then phone interview with recruiter. Followed by manager interview then second level manager interview. They apologized for taking so much of my time, but they couldn't get all of them together the first time. I appreciated that explanation, because at first it seemed unnecessary to jump through all those hoops. They were very thorough about the what the job expectations were, which helped me to decide if I was interested in the position.

Interview Question – No difficult questions - mostly behavioral/situational.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer I Interview

Electrical Engineer I

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Black & Veatch in April 2014.

Interview Details – A Phone interview then an on site interview, basic interview question concerning your resume.

Interview Question – Not much of difficult questions just normal formal discussion   Answer Question

Civil Engineer Interview

Civil Engineer

Interviewed at Black & Veatch

Interview Details – Was contacted for on campus interview after submitting electronic resume through university. Interviewer was very nice and quick to discuss Black & Veatch, what she has done in her career, and what the job would entail. Interview was very conversational with no strange curve ball questions. Just a first interview and process after that was slow to proceed so I took another offer.

Interview Question – What do you already know about Black & Veatch?   View Answer

Intern Electrical Engineer Interview

Intern Electrical Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Black & Veatch in June 2013.

Interview Details – First interview will be behavioral, if selected there will be one more round of technical interview and you may be called on site for the last and final interview.

Interview Question – What are the best five words to describe yourself?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pretty lenient

Very Easy Interview

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Black & Veatch in August 2010.

Interview Details – It was slow process but be patient

Interview Question – Why should be hire you and what is your salary expectations. Really? on a 1st interview, they quizzed me on salary expectations on the third question???   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was NONE. Take it and RUN.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Black & Veatch

Worked for Black & Veatch? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Black & Veatch interview questions and advice. All 59 interview reviews posted anonymously by Black & Veatch employees and interview candidates.