Black & Veatch Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2015

2.7

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Black & Veatch in October 2014.

applied through the university career fair. Got a call to interview with them the following day for the above mentioned position. The interview covered basic behavioral and scenario type questions. The interviewer was very friendly and was a team head himself. They primarily see how well a fit you'd be in their team based on your responses. Technical questions won't be covered during their interviews.

Interview Questions
    • What did you do when you found someone cheating at work?   Answer Question
    • How did you get your teammates agree on an idea you suggested?   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer I Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Black & Veatch.

Applied Online, received a phone call approximately a month later, and was asked if I was ready for an interview in 30 mins. I said yes, and they called 30 min later. Phone Interview was done with the chief engineer as well as another engineer mainly on high voltage (kV) engineering.

Mechanical Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rolla, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rolla, MO

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Black & Veatch in September 2014.

1st: Obtained my first interview after attending my school's annual career fair.

Note: If you attend a career fair, make sure you stand out, always introduce yourself with a smile, and shake hands. During the interview, bring a portfolio of all the work you have done and all of your accomplishments. This will make the interview process easier and less nerve racking.

2nd: I recieved a phone call from the recruiter and was asked to come to the world head quarters in Overland Park, KS. for a second interview.

3rd: Received a phone call from the recruiter the next day with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever had a conflict with a group member before and how did you resolve the issue?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Black and Veatch besides the opportunity to travel internationally?   View Answer
    If you get an offer from Black and Veatch, TAKE IT!! This company has so many wonderful benefits and opportunities!

Civil Engineer I Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Black & Veatch.

i applied through my college's career fair. Was offered an interview for the following day in person. Due to campus closing ended up having the interview via phone call. Interviewed in Feb 2014

Engineering Tecjhnician III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Overland Park, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Overland Park, KS

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Black & Veatch.

I was hired to the telecom division as a contract employee throught Aerotek in 2008. I was rolled over to a core employee after 2 1/2 years (2011). The hiring process consists of filling out an electronic application for B&V. After they review your application they will offer you a position with the company. After accepting the position, they run a background check and require a drug screen. This is all pretty standard stuff for a corporate job position.

There was not a negotiation process.

Electrical Engineer I Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Black & Veatch in April 2014.

A Phone interview then an on site interview, basic interview question concerning your resume.

Interview Questions
    • Not much of difficult questions just normal formal discussion   Answer Question

Deputy Director - Engineering Unit Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Black & Veatch in April 2014.

Submitted a resume on line via the company website. The job had been out there for awhile, and my application was surely late in the process. An HR contact called and we had a long phone interview and conversation at the end of which she told me she was genuinely excited that she found me and would be recommending me as a prime candidate for the position. In the end I was too late, and by the time I had spoken with the HR contact, office management already had a final candidate that they were calling in to make an offer. My main point of confusion about the whole process is, if I was such a good candidate for the senior management position, why didn't they offer another open position. Beware the software extraction process now taking the larger companies by storm. Your electronic resume is scanned for key words and phrases rather than being read by a human being. Mine just happened to have the word Director in a prior position title. It becomes hit or miss with the mass resume submissions the HR departments need to deal with in this economy.

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected questions, but the most difficult to answer is always..."How much are you looking to make" when it's early in the process.   View Answer

Civil Engineer Interview

Was contacted for on campus interview after submitting electronic resume through university. Interviewer was very nice and quick to discuss Black & Veatch, what she has done in her career, and what the job would entail. Interview was very conversational with no strange curve ball questions. Just a first interview and process after that was slow to proceed so I took another offer.

Interview Questions
    • What do you already know about Black & Veatch?   View Answer

Administrative Coordinator Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Black & Veatch.

Collaborative interview process composed of many team members.

Interview Questions
    • Asked detailed experience and identification of the all types of engineering.   View Answer
    Salary offered was more than expected.

Electrical Engineer I Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Black & Veatch in February 2014.

I applied on the school website and got a call a couple of weeks after to set up an interview. I interviewed with two managers at the office for about 45 minutes. Basic questions about classes I had taken and discussions about the content of my resume. After my interview, the H.R called me the next day to inform me that I had been invited for an on-site interview a week later. The on-site interview was with two other engineers who basically sold the company to me. Very professional yet informal, they wanted to access my interest in the job. After interviewing with them, I interviewed with the Office manager of the houston site for about 30minutes before they took me out to lunch. The whole interview lasted from 9:00am to 1:00pm

Interview Questions
    • None in particular. Questions were about classes and my resume   Answer Question
    They did not budge on negotiations. However, offer was competitive