Black & Veatch

Average Difficulty
59 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Overland Park, KS

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Black & Veatch in January 2013.

Interview Details – I got the interview through a recruiter. Then, I applied online. Two months later, I received a plane tickets to attend the interview in B&V headquarter

Interview Question – Mostly behavioral kind of questions.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer I Interview

Mechanical Engineer I

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Black & Veatch in March 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process included 2 interviews. One interview at my university that lasted 15-30 minutes. If they like you, the second interview is at the location where you would work. This interview will last about 6 hours.

Interview Question – Its a long process. Be prepared to be interviewed by 6-9 different people during the day.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They make very fair offers and i doubt they would be willing to negotiate especially if you don't have years of relevant experience.

Internship Interview

Internship

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Black & Veatch.

Interview Details – I was called from state far from BV's HQ. The hiring team made sure i was comfortable from the time got off the flight till I boarded my return flight. The hiring process was straight forward applied online, got a call from a recruiter within 2 weeks. they expressed an interest in me and offered me an interview. everyone there was very warm and welcoming and so where the interviewers.
I was interviewed by 4 people, half an hour each, mostly behavioral questions. The HQ undergoing some construction work but otherwise it is spacious and clean, has an awesome cafeteria and a really cool gym. I could see myself working there.

Interview Question – Nothing really, pretty much the same questions any career advisor would recommend to be prepared for like weaknesses, strengths, why this field?, why this company? etc.   Answer Question

Water Leadership Interview

Water Leadership
Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Black & Veatch in February 2012.

Interview Details – They reimbursed me for travel to Kansas City, put me up in a nice hotel right on the plaza. They chartered us to the interview site the next day where we had panel interviews as well as a few interviews with 1 or 2 professionals. We were then given a group project that we worked with our groups on that night. The next day we gave a 30 minute presentation on our project.

Interview Question – It wasn't any difficult question that got me, the project is quite challenging and really brings out the real engineer in you.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No, interns have a set pay.

YPDP Construction Associate Interview

YPDP Construction Associate
Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Black & Veatch in May 2011.

Interview Details – I was called on Thursday by HR and they flew me out to Kansas City the following Sunday. I was put in a nice hotel and a the HR manager picked me up Monday morning. I arrived to see that there were 15 other canidates as well waiting in the lobby. We were given a 30 minute tour of the building and then taken to a conference romm where various senior professionals came and gave us a brief overview of the company. I was then taken to a room with 3 managers and they began the interview. It was very laid back, I spent ore time listening than talking and answered very few questions. After the Interview they will give you a lunch buddy to take you around and eat lunch with you. This lunch is just as important as the interview, afterwards they will want the opinion of the people you ate with on whether or not to hire you.

Interview Question – The big question they always like to ask is " in what order would you rank safety, quality and cost". Safety is ofcourse number 1 and then Quality and cost. They will expect that you provide some sort of explanation for this so it's important you understand why.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was for an Intership, it was based on how long you had been in school. I was a senior and I got 21 dollars an hour.

Civil Engineer III Interview

Civil Engineer III
Overland Park, KS

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Black & Veatch in April 2009.

Interview Details – Three to four hour interview in the morning. I had one main interviewer, and talked to 5 different people in one-on-ones. Included was a tour of the office. Free lunch in the cafeteria.

Interview Question – Why don't you have a job? Why are you unemployed?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Offer letter and I took what they offered.

Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Black & Veatch in May 2012.

Interview Details – Did phone interview, ask about schooloing and interests

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you were told no and how you were able to accomplish the task   Answer Question

Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Black & Veatch in October 2011.

Interview Details – 1, Talked to them at a university career fair.
2. Had an on campus interview the next day.
3. Got a call a month later asking me to come to the headquarters for an interview.

Interview was with a panel of 4 people and lasted about an hour. The interview was very conversational. Got an offer the next day.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you procrastinated on something and how that turned out.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations really with an intern wage.

Mechanical Engineer I Interview

Mechanical Engineer I
Overland Park, KS

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Black & Veatch in November 2011.

Interview Details – 1. University Career Fair
2. Next day Interview^^
3. Wait a couple months
4. Get On-site Interview (8am-2pm) several .5-1hr interviews and info sessions. Lunch and then HR tells you about benifits

Interview Question – How do feedwater heaters increase plant efficiency?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation for entry level positions. In the current economy, you take what you get

Very Easy Interview

Manager Interview

Manager
Overland Park, KS

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Black & Veatch in March 2012.

Interview Details – Was contacted by a recruiter who stated my resume fit what was being sought in the applicant. Set up phone interview which took one hour. The phone interview went well and was called in for a 1:1 interview. This involved travel to the jobsite. The in-person interview lasted four hours and was very relaxed. Was offered a position later in the week.

Interview Question – What are your five year goals?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was told that negotiation was not available due to a regulation.