Black & Veatch

Updated Nov 29, 2014

2.7

Vice President Director of Projects Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Black & Veatch in April 2012.

Very pleasant experience. Company is very professional and polished. Exposure to office and community was well balanced and delightful. Very much a career building experience. Great company with very fair questions to assure a fit into their professional culture. Be yourself and do not try to read the answers or you will fail. If you fit, you both will know it. That is the way it should be.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your biggest failure. Tell me what happened and what you learned from it.   View Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Overland Park, KS

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Black & Veatch in March 2012.

Was contacted by a recruiter who stated my resume fit what was being sought in the applicant. Set up phone interview which took one hour. The phone interview went well and was called in for a 1:1 interview. This involved travel to the jobsite. The in-person interview lasted four hours and was very relaxed. Was offered a position later in the week.

Interview Questions
    Was told that negotiation was not available due to a regulation.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Black & Veatch in February 2012.

1:1 interview. Behavioral questions.

Water Leadership Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Black & Veatch in February 2012.

They reimbursed me for travel to Kansas City, put me up in a nice hotel right on the plaza. They chartered us to the interview site the next day where we had panel interviews as well as a few interviews with 1 or 2 professionals. We were then given a group project that we worked with our groups on that night. The next day we gave a 30 minute presentation on our project.

Interview Questions
    • It wasn't any difficult question that got me, the project is quite challenging and really brings out the real engineer in you.   Answer Question
    No, interns have a set pay.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Overland Park, KS

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Black & Veatch in January 2012.

The first step entails the typical HR telephone screen. Expect to chat for 30 minutes to an hour depending on who calls you. A second phone call will either be the hiring manager or HR. A site visit is next where you will be provided an agenda and meet with at least three people. This is a conservative place. This is an engineering firm. Read up on the company and be able to explain why you would like to work for B&V. The site interviews have two objectives, do you have the skills needed to join the team, and will you fit on the team? It's pretty straight forward. Wait a few weeks for a call back.

Brief. They have salary ranges and will try and keep to them. Their view is that everyone gets paid fairly. You can try and negotiate, I did, however, understand that the value you bring tot company dictates you rate.

Mechanical Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Overland Park, KS

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Black & Veatch in November 2011.

1. University Career Fair
    2. Next day Interview^^
    3. Wait a couple months
    4. Get On-site Interview (8am-2pm) several .5-1hr interviews and info sessions. Lunch and then HR tells you about benifits

Interview Questions
    • How do feedwater heaters increase plant efficiency?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation for entry level positions. In the current economy, you take what you get

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Black & Veatch in October 2011.

1, Talked to them at a university career fair.
    2. Had an on campus interview the next day.
    3. Got a call a month later asking me to come to the headquarters for an interview.

Interview was with a panel of 4 people and lasted about an hour. The interview was very conversational. Got an offer the next day.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you procrastinated on something and how that turned out.   View Answer
    No negotiations really with an intern wage.

Construction & Procurement Young Professionals Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Black & Veatch in October 2011.

Met with a recruiter on campus the week of the career fair, heard back about a month later and scheduled a second round in Kansas City. Interview at the same time as about 12 other soon-to-be college grads for the Young Professionals Program. Started with a presentation of the department by a senior manager. Single interview by panel of 3-4 people at all levels and job titles within Construction & Procurement - lots of behavioral questions, some about technical experience. Afterwards, benefits presentation, lunch with new hires and rest of group. Very laid back conversation during interview and time in between. Apparently most people who were invited to this round of interviews received offers. Others agreed that this trip was more about selling Black & Veatch as a company than about getting to know us as potential employees.

Civil Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

The process took a dayinterviewed at Black & Veatch in June 2011.

Prior to the interview was a phone screening and it usually runs about 30 minutes, however, I spoke to the hiring manager for an hour. Following the phone screen they called me in to interview about a month following the phone screen. I met a team of engineers from the most senior engineers to the recent or more junior or associate engineers. A group of five interviewed for about a half hour each which then consisted of meeting with HR to discuss company benefits and a time frame of getting back to me.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most challenging obstacle you had to overcome?   Answer Question

YPDP Construction Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Black & Veatch in May 2011.

I was called on Thursday by HR and they flew me out to Kansas City the following Sunday. I was put in a nice hotel and a the HR manager picked me up Monday morning. I arrived to see that there were 15 other canidates as well waiting in the lobby. We were given a 30 minute tour of the building and then taken to a conference romm where various senior professionals came and gave us a brief overview of the company. I was then taken to a room with 3 managers and they began the interview. It was very laid back, I spent ore time listening than talking and answered very few questions. After the Interview they will give you a lunch buddy to take you around and eat lunch with you. This lunch is just as important as the interview, afterwards they will want the opinion of the people you ate with on whether or not to hire you.

Interview Questions
    • The big question they always like to ask is " in what order would you rank safety, quality and cost". Safety is ofcourse number 1 and then Quality and cost. They will expect that you provide some sort of explanation for this so it's important you understand why.   Answer Question
    It was for an Intership, it was based on how long you had been in school. I was a senior and I got 21 dollars an hour.