Black & Veatch

Relevance Date Difficulty

Engineering Tecjhnician III Interview

Engineering Tecjhnician III
Overland Park, KS

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Black & Veatch.

Interview Details – I was hired to the telecom division as a contract employee throught Aerotek in 2008. I was rolled over to a core employee after 2 1/2 years (2011). The hiring process consists of filling out an electronic application for B&V. After they review your application they will offer you a position with the company. After accepting the position, they run a background check and require a drug screen. This is all pretty standard stuff for a corporate job position.

Negotiation Details – There was not a negotiation process.

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources
Overland Park, KS

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Black & Veatch in September 2013.

Interview Details – Phone screen, then phone interview with recruiter. Followed by manager interview then second level manager interview. They apologized for taking so much of my time, but they couldn't get all of them together the first time. I appreciated that explanation, because at first it seemed unnecessary to jump through all those hoops. They were very thorough about the what the job expectations were, which helped me to decide if I was interested in the position.

Interview Question – No difficult questions - mostly behavioral/situational.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Black & Veatch in August 2010.

Interview Details – It was slow process but be patient

Interview Question – Why should be hire you and what is your salary expectations. Really? on a 1st interview, they quizzed me on salary expectations on the third question???   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was NONE. Take it and RUN.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Civil Engineer Interview

Civil Engineer
Overland Park, KS

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Black & Veatch in February 2014.

Interview Details – First of all, you need to introduce yourself. Then he asked me about some situation questions. Things like difficult situation you had in the past and how you dealt with that. Because I have a PhD, he asked me why I would apply as an entry level engineer. On the interview form, they have a check mark of EIT or not. Make sure you pass the FE exam.

Interview Question – Situation question.   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Senior Project Manager
Overland Park, KS

I applied online and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Black & Veatch in January 2012.

Interview Details – The first step entails the typical HR telephone screen. Expect to chat for 30 minutes to an hour depending on who calls you. A second phone call will either be the hiring manager or HR. A site visit is next where you will be provided an agenda and meet with at least three people. This is a conservative place. This is an engineering firm. Read up on the company and be able to explain why you would like to work for B&V. The site interviews have two objectives, do you have the skills needed to join the team, and will you fit on the team? It's pretty straight forward. Wait a few weeks for a call back.

Negotiation Details – Brief. They have salary ranges and will try and keep to them. Their view is that everyone gets paid fairly. You can try and negotiate, I did, however, understand that the value you bring tot company dictates you rate.

Intern Interview

Intern
Overland Park, KS

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Black & Veatch in January 2013.

Interview Details – I got the interview through a recruiter. Then, I applied online. Two months later, I received a plane tickets to attend the interview in B&V headquarter

Interview Question – Mostly behavioral kind of questions.   Answer Question

Water Leadership Interview

Water Leadership
Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Black & Veatch in February 2012.

Interview Details – They reimbursed me for travel to Kansas City, put me up in a nice hotel right on the plaza. They chartered us to the interview site the next day where we had panel interviews as well as a few interviews with 1 or 2 professionals. We were then given a group project that we worked with our groups on that night. The next day we gave a 30 minute presentation on our project.

Interview Question – It wasn't any difficult question that got me, the project is quite challenging and really brings out the real engineer in you.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No, interns have a set pay.

YPDP Construction Associate Interview

YPDP Construction Associate
Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Black & Veatch in May 2011.

Interview Details – I was called on Thursday by HR and they flew me out to Kansas City the following Sunday. I was put in a nice hotel and a the HR manager picked me up Monday morning. I arrived to see that there were 15 other canidates as well waiting in the lobby. We were given a 30 minute tour of the building and then taken to a conference romm where various senior professionals came and gave us a brief overview of the company. I was then taken to a room with 3 managers and they began the interview. It was very laid back, I spent ore time listening than talking and answered very few questions. After the Interview they will give you a lunch buddy to take you around and eat lunch with you. This lunch is just as important as the interview, afterwards they will want the opinion of the people you ate with on whether or not to hire you.

Interview Question – The big question they always like to ask is " in what order would you rank safety, quality and cost". Safety is ofcourse number 1 and then Quality and cost. They will expect that you provide some sort of explanation for this so it's important you understand why.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was for an Intership, it was based on how long you had been in school. I was a senior and I got 21 dollars an hour.

Civil Engineer III Interview

Civil Engineer III
Overland Park, KS

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Black & Veatch in April 2009.

Interview Details – Three to four hour interview in the morning. I had one main interviewer, and talked to 5 different people in one-on-ones. Included was a tour of the office. Free lunch in the cafeteria.

Interview Question – Why don't you have a job? Why are you unemployed?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Offer letter and I took what they offered.

Intern Interview

Intern
Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Black & Veatch in May 2012.

Interview Details – Did phone interview, ask about schooloing and interests

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you were told no and how you were able to accomplish the task   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Black & Veatch? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Black & Veatch interview questions and advice in Kansas City, MO. All 23 interview reviews posted anonymously by Black & Veatch employees and interview candidates.