Black & Veatch

Relevance Date Difficulty

Engineering Tecjhnician III Interview

Engineering Tecjhnician III
Overland Park, KS

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Black & Veatch.

Interview Details – I was hired to the telecom division as a contract employee throught Aerotek in 2008. I was rolled over to a core employee after 2 1/2 years (2011). The hiring process consists of filling out an electronic application for B&V. After they review your application they will offer you a position with the company. After accepting the position, they run a background check and require a drug screen. This is all pretty standard stuff for a corporate job position.

Negotiation Details – There was not a negotiation process.

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources
Overland Park, KS

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Black & Veatch in September 2013.

Interview Details – Phone screen, then phone interview with recruiter. Followed by manager interview then second level manager interview. They apologized for taking so much of my time, but they couldn't get all of them together the first time. I appreciated that explanation, because at first it seemed unnecessary to jump through all those hoops. They were very thorough about the what the job expectations were, which helped me to decide if I was interested in the position.

Interview Question – No difficult questions - mostly behavioral/situational.   Answer Question

Civil Engineer Interview

Civil Engineer
Overland Park, KS

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Black & Veatch in February 2014.

Interview Details – First of all, you need to introduce yourself. Then he asked me about some situation questions. Things like difficult situation you had in the past and how you dealt with that. Because I have a PhD, he asked me why I would apply as an entry level engineer. On the interview form, they have a check mark of EIT or not. Make sure you pass the FE exam.

Interview Question – Situation question.   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Senior Project Manager
Overland Park, KS

I applied online and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Black & Veatch in January 2012.

Interview Details – The first step entails the typical HR telephone screen. Expect to chat for 30 minutes to an hour depending on who calls you. A second phone call will either be the hiring manager or HR. A site visit is next where you will be provided an agenda and meet with at least three people. This is a conservative place. This is an engineering firm. Read up on the company and be able to explain why you would like to work for B&V. The site interviews have two objectives, do you have the skills needed to join the team, and will you fit on the team? It's pretty straight forward. Wait a few weeks for a call back.

Negotiation Details – Brief. They have salary ranges and will try and keep to them. Their view is that everyone gets paid fairly. You can try and negotiate, I did, however, understand that the value you bring tot company dictates you rate.

Intern Interview

Intern
Overland Park, KS

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Black & Veatch in January 2013.

Interview Details – I got the interview through a recruiter. Then, I applied online. Two months later, I received a plane tickets to attend the interview in B&V headquarter

Interview Question – Mostly behavioral kind of questions.   Answer Question

Civil Engineer III Interview

Civil Engineer III
Overland Park, KS

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Black & Veatch in April 2009.

Interview Details – Three to four hour interview in the morning. I had one main interviewer, and talked to 5 different people in one-on-ones. Included was a tour of the office. Free lunch in the cafeteria.

Interview Question – Why don't you have a job? Why are you unemployed?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Offer letter and I took what they offered.

Mechanical Engineer I Interview

Mechanical Engineer I
Overland Park, KS

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Black & Veatch in November 2011.

Interview Details – 1. University Career Fair
2. Next day Interview^^
3. Wait a couple months
4. Get On-site Interview (8am-2pm) several .5-1hr interviews and info sessions. Lunch and then HR tells you about benifits

Interview Question – How do feedwater heaters increase plant efficiency?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation for entry level positions. In the current economy, you take what you get

Very Easy Interview

Manager Interview

Manager
Overland Park, KS

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Black & Veatch in March 2012.

Interview Details – Was contacted by a recruiter who stated my resume fit what was being sought in the applicant. Set up phone interview which took one hour. The phone interview went well and was called in for a 1:1 interview. This involved travel to the jobsite. The in-person interview lasted four hours and was very relaxed. Was offered a position later in the week.

Interview Question – What are your five year goals?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was told that negotiation was not available due to a regulation.

Project Controls Associate Interview

Project Controls Associate
Overland Park, KS

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Black & Veatch in April 2012.

Interview Details – Smooth Interview, friendly staff. Very technical questions were asked.

Interview Question – If you are progress is X% complete and your performance factor is __, what actions should you seek? Where do you forecast the project performance completing at?   Answer Question

Project Controls Interview

Project Controls
Overland Park, KS

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Black & Veatch in March 2011.

Interview Details – Two months after I applied online I received a call at 5:30pm on a Friday. This call consisted of a short interview and an invitation to the home office for another interview. The interview in Overland Park, KS consisted of a panel interview with up to 5 managers which lasted an hour. Very personalized, the interviews concentrated on your experience rather than worthless HR questions such as " If you were an animal what would you be?"

Interview Question – Tell us about yourself.   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Black & Veatch? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Black & Veatch interview questions and advice in Overland Park, KS. All 14 interview reviews posted anonymously by Black & Veatch employees and interview candidates.