BlackBerry

Updated Feb 24, 2015
Updated Feb 24, 2015

Technical Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at BlackBerry in February 2015.

After applying for this job on the Blackberry site as a part of my Co-op program, I received an invite for a interview via teleconference. The interview was conducted by three interviewees and went on for about a half an hour. Overall it was a good experience and I recieved an offer a few days later.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation phase.

Software Developer Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at BlackBerry in January 2015.

Two interviewers which were very nice and laid back. Asked basic questions about projects, skills, etc. Followed by technical questions from topics directly from the job posting. Know your resume and brush upon Java, C++, Databases and OS.

Software Developer Co-Op Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in March 2014.

Had multiple interviews through pipe-line posting.
    One phone interview with the team. Talked about previous projects and knowledge.
    Basic behaviour questions.
    First interviewer was pretty dull and did not want to hear about experience,
    the other two were very nice.

Interview Questions
    • What is a virtual function?
      Define 3 principles of OOP.

Answer Question

Inventory Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at BlackBerry in November 2014.

Went through school co-op. Didn't know what to expect but I did my research. Great company culture and direction despite the media's negative stigma. Standard questions, strengths and weaknesses, they look for personality, professionalism, and goal-oriented people.

Software Developer Co-Op Interview

Met 2 Engineers, technical interview, got offer a few days later. Questions are pretty common for software interviews. Interview held internally at university campus, lasted about 45 minutes in total

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry.

This is dependent on really who is seeking to hire you and who you know as well as what level you are applying for. They look at job experience and out of the box thinking. Problem solver

easy

Systems Engineering Specialist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at BlackBerry.

I cannot speak to whether or not my interview experience is typical of how things are currently done at Blackberry. I was contacted by an internal recruiter back in the days when BlackBerry, nee RIM, was growing at an astounding rate. I wasn't really looking for a new gig, but am loathe to not explore potential opportunities. I agreed to an interview. On my interview day, it was easy to find the right building and security paged my escort to take me to my interview.

I walk into the office of the manager for the group I was interviewing with and met the manager and 4 additional members of the team. So of course I am thinking ok, this could be rigorous. It was a surprisingly casual experience. Coming into this interview I had 15 or so years of experience under my belt. The interview was not very formal at all. In fact it was very much like a casual conversation, which I attribute to the manager, we 'chatted' about tech stuff, and non-tech stuff. The interviewer was able to dig into my experiences and let me elaborate in a manner that didn't feel like I was being grilled. While the interview lasted well over an hour it was truly the most relaxed interview I think I have ever experienced.

After the interview I left and was thinking what a cool interesting and innovative place that would be to work.

About a month later I get a call from the recruiter and am told that they would like to proceed with an offer. The initial offer was pretty good, however I was able to come back and request a bit better compensation. The recruiter and I discussed what I would have wanted the offer to be and took that back to the hiring manager to see if it was acceptable. It took all of a day for her to confirm that my request was approved.

I started work about 3 weeks after that.

Interview Questions
    • I would love to be able to give a specific hard or unexpected question for this interview, I don't have one to provide. I guess if I were to label anything as unexpected it would be the whole casual nature of the interview.   Answer Question
    simple and direct.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in August 2014.

Initially got contacted by HR for an one-hour interview, which was scheduled as an in-person interview as I live not far from the work place. The hiring manager met me and was interested in my one-year co-op experience at the company. I was evaluated on skills and experience desired for the position, and got the opportunity to learn more about the team. A second onsite interview was scheduled in about two weeks when I met other team members and was assessed on a few behavioral questions by HR. There are also more technical coding questions asked for evaluating the knowledge base and potential as a software developer. Both interviews went smooth and the hiring committee is nice and friendly.

After then it is reference check which was fairly quick that took one week, and background check and waiting period. I was called by HR about an offer around three weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewers know about my previous co-op performance and there are not too difficult technical questions. A couple of behavioral questions are asked, e.g., have you had experience in resolving conflict, what makes you get up everyday for work, etc. They are equally interested in evaluating interviewee's soft skills for a good fit to the team.   Answer Question
    As I am a new grad, there is not much negotiation. The hiring committee asked for my previous co-op salary and expected salary range, made a good offer that matched my experience and I accepted.

Software Test Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in June 2014.

it took one month to call me and after almost one month e-mail me rejection letter.asked some general behavioral question, then went to IQ test question, then asked question related testing.
    Q: what you will test if it has issues with showing 7 in mobile.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at BlackBerry in January 2010.

Applied through the employer site. Phone screen for 30 minutes, then in person interview with manager, then in-person interview with peers. Whole process form start to finish took almost 3 months. Included background screening and reference checks.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly situational questions, what would you do if you were in this situatione etc. Nothing too complicated   Answer Question
    I accepted the first offer as it was better than I had expected. No negotiation