BlackBerry

Updated Feb 26, 2015
Updated Feb 26, 2015

Software Test Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in February 2014.

I applied through my campus recruitment portal (University of Waterloo), and heard back from them on time during the interviews period as one would expect.

The interview was at their head office here in Waterloo, and lasted around an hour. I arrived a bit late as I got delayed while leaving after a class, and they were completely understanding of it. The people seemed friendly in general, and my interviewers started off by talking about the job itself.

I was then asked a few general questions like 'Tell me about yourself...', 'What are your strengths and weaknesses?', 'Why do you want to do software testing?' and such. They then proceeded to the more technical questions related to the job itself such as testing methodologies, what would make a good bug report, and software testing scenarios.

Overall, it was a rather challenging interview as they did push for detailed answers and you had to think well on the spot for some of the scenarios. The position also involved working overtime for on-call duty to meet release schedules due to the nature of the team the job was for.

Their reply on the outcome of the interview came a few days later than expected, and resulted in some anxiety and confusion as they had promised to get back within a few weeks by the expected results time for our coop process here in UW.

Interview Questions
    • If one of the keys on the numpad didn't work (pressed but no input displayed) while dialing a call on your phone, how would you find what the problem could be?   View Answer
    • How would you test a microwave?   View Answer
    • If you had to release something by the evening, but only managed to complete a third of the tests by noon, how would you approach the situation?   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry.

One phone interview- largely behavioral. Also talked about resume elements, previous experiences and current courses taken in college.

Software Development Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in February 2014.

Overall this was a great experience - Interviewed on a conference call with 3 people, all part of an individual team, all of which I would end up working with later on. Interview was based heavily on past experiences, some minor technical questions, and a logic question. Overall very relaxed environment, felt really good.

Interview Questions
    • You have a deck of 52 cards, and you have no way of telling which are face down and which are face up. You know 10 of them are face up. Find a way to return 2 stacks of cards with an equal number of face up cards.   Answer Question

Software Test Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry in January 2014.

Hiring process was relatively quick. Being from BC they quickly set up a phone conference interview. The interview was mostly technical questions such as how you would test things, but we also touched on past test experiences, some algorithms and optimization, and finally details about the position itself. Overall, the interview went smoothly and I found it was extremely fair for the position.

Interview Questions
    • What do you hate most about QA and Software Testing... and how would you fix it.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at BlackBerry.

Asking lots questions, including behavior questions. Met manager, met half of the team.

Legal Counsel Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry.

initial interview with report and team members, Q& A style. Followed by 3 hour written exam based on a couple of contract scenarios. Second interview with report and 2 other Legal VPs.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked how I dealt with challenging priorities, difficult clients and problematic files, and give examples.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate salary only

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at BlackBerry.

Received an initial email that confirmed I was selected for interview by one of the hiring managers, then via email promptly scheduled for an interview over the phone, of which lasted an hour talking mostly precious experiences. One week after the interview I was given an email response congratulating me on landing the position.

Interview Questions
    • What was the hardest problem you had and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Campus Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at BlackBerry.

Was hired through a Co-op role so had an internal job process. Very little salary negotiation was possible which was a mistake.

Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at BlackBerry.

Process is a bit unpredictable. First phone screen in February 2008, Started October 2008.

Software Developer Interview

Received an email from Blackberry. Got the interview the following week. Asked to implement insert function for a binary tree.