BlackBerry

Relevance Date Difficulty

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at BlackBerry in August 2013.

Interview Details – 1 interview, with hiring manager- asked 2 questions. 1. what is your experience with project management. 2.given your past work experience what is your customer service like?

the interview took all but 19 mins

Interview Question – i expected a brain teaser, but it never happened   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was no negotiation process. i was offered my base salary and i accepted it.

Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BlackBerry in September 2009.

Interview Details – It all starts off with a phone call. HR will contact you to let you know you are a candidate that was chosen by the team viewing your resume.

Keep in mind, resume submission rarely trickles down properly (this is universal with huge companies). You may end up with an opportunity you never expected.

Once an interview is set up, it is the standard run of the mill type developer interview.
Expect to answer questions about your personal projects, past projects, and development capabilities. Expect on-the-spot coding questions to challenge your knowledge.

I'm not a fan of this type of interview, but the reality is, hiring managers and teams have no other method of filtering candidates.

Interview Question – Write an algorithm to sort a large data set of numbers, assuming a limited amount of memory.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None, I was an inexperience fresh graduate, took the opportunity without negotiation.

Director Interview

Director

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at BlackBerry in April 2012.

Interview Details – Went through 12 interviews and delay between each one. Professional handling of the process. It was the delay between interviews that was frustrating through the process. I did end up with the role and have enjoyed my time with the company despite the business challenges. It is a good place to work.

Interview Question – Behavior standard questions   Answer Question

Interviewed at BlackBerry

Interview Details – Received an email from Blackberry. Got the interview the following week. Asked to implement insert function for a binary tree.

Interview Question – The questions were pretty simple.   Answer Question

Customer Quality Manager Interview

Customer Quality Manager
Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through other source - interviewed at BlackBerry in February 2011.

Interview Details – Three phone call interviews, followed by a trip to Waterloo and a series of interviews over the course of a day with members from different teams. Overall, very quick and professional

Interview Question – The most difficult question was "How aggressive can you be when the quality is just not there?" by a member of a different team who clearly wanted a no-excuse tiger of a response. Everything else was in regards to my experience and background, what I had done in my previous positions.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Having another offer in hand from a different company, I was able to gain about a 5% increase in salary with no real difficulty, but that awas about it.

Quality Engineer Interview

Quality Engineer

Interviewed at BlackBerry

Interview Details – I had an interview with a HR lady first. It was an on-site interview. She asked some behavour type of questions. Then I had an interview with the hiring manager for about one hour. Many technical questions and situation questions were asked. Then finally I was invited to an interview with a Director. All the people I interviewed are nice and well prepared.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was like: Tell me an achievement in your previouse job that you are proud of   Answer Question

Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at BlackBerry.

Interview Details – Did a phone screening first, after good review I received a technical assessment based on the new bb10 cascades system. Upon successful completion I had a second telephone interview with a director (I was from out of town) and then we moved on to a face to face interview. BlackBerry paid my expenses to travel to Montreal where I had a pretty good interview with a director and several team leads. We talked about my history, my experience and then did a couple very simple technical questions. When I had completed the interview I was told by my contact that I had nailed it and to expect something coming. The company then reviewed my school transcript and decided that a second technical assessment was in order. After my completion of it, they told me they were no longer hiring.

Interview Question – The second technical assessment was mildly difficult, it involved a small bit of threading and some simple logic.   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Senior Project Manager
Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at BlackBerry in March 2011.

Interview Details – Pretty quick response after applying. Three interviews required. First by phone with recruiter. Second by phone with Hiring Manager. Third in person with Hiring Manager and Director. Interviews made me feel quite at ease – were great to speak with. Questions were all relevant – no questions to “trip you up”. Great new building with lots of free parking and a cafeteria.

Interview Question – Do not recall any questions being too difficult or unexpected. Come prepared with examples to share about the most complex projects, techniques for motivating teams, your strengths and weaknesses.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer was higher than what I expected, so no need to negotiate. Vacation was also what I wanted.

Communications Advisor Interview

Communications Advisor
Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at BlackBerry in April 2010.

Interview Details – Job posted on Indeed.com, standard portal to submit resume and cover letter. Received first communication within 2 weeks from HR rep to set up initial, phone screen interview. Then had phone interview with hiring manager (all meetings facilitated by HR rep). Invited to in-person meeting with hiring manager and senior manager and requested to submit writing samples. Meetings held in manager's office and was relatively informal -- although many of the standard behavioral questions were asked, there was a natural flow of conversation.
There was a disconnect because I was told there would be at least one more interview with the director, but later that afternoon I picked up a message that I would be offered the job. It then took 6 weeks for my offer to go through the approval process and to complete the required security, reference, and education checks. During this time I applied/went through the interview process/was short-listed for a similar position at another company! So I was not impressed by the level of efficiency.
I understand that the hiring process has been streamlined since then.

Interview Question – The questions were very much as expected.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Build and Release Specialist Interview

Build and Release Specialist

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at BlackBerry.

Interview Details – Java programming on google doc